PDA

View Full Version : 8ball or 9?

straight8
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm new here, but not to pool, i've taken many yrs off and wanna get back into it seriously again, but I see 8ball isnt a game shot by the pros anymore. why? I ask because last night I went to shoot only to hear 9ball called a slop shot good luck game,lol as i played it for the 1st time, I thought it was a little strange and didn't really care for the game, but love good ol straight 8 call pocket. Is it shot by pros today? Fill me in please.

Thanx
Straight8

tdurden87
01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
It is still popular, however 9-ball has taken over since it is a fast paced game and good for TV.

Scott Lee
01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
straight8...8-Ball is alive and well with the pros. The newest, and potentially most profitable pro tour in history (www.ipt.com), is paying out $6,000,000 in prize money just this year, and plays exclusively 8-ball. The first tournament was just after Thanksgiving, and paid out $1,000,000! The next one starts the end of this month in Orlando, FL. They don't sell tickets at the door, so you must buy tickets online, if you want to see it live. The IPT expects to sell DVD's of tournament matches, as well as provide tv coverage at some point. The promoter is Kevin Trudeau, who wrote and sells a book called "Natural Cures", about alleged non-pharmaceutical cures for many health problems (and has made hundreds of millions from it) is funding this tour. Most of the top players in the world are playing on this tour, and the others are trying to qualify to get in. Supposedly, in 2007, each IPT tour player (there are 150 hand-picked pros on the tour each year) will make a minimum of $100,000 for the year...a GIANT increase in earnings for pool players! Go to the website for more info...

Scott Lee

straight8
01-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Thank you so much for your informative posts. And I hope it all comes back as they use to call me Fats in female form lol thinking i was fat not knowing who he was, til someone told me. As i look at my trophy daily that i won back in 1977, but didnt go pro cuz of family issues. I just get a high like no other when I shoot 8ball, even more now, since my head is so clear today.
(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) To all

K8te

CaptainHook
01-19-2006, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote straight8:</font><hr> Thank you so much for your informative posts. And I hope it all comes back as they use to call me Fats in female form lol thinking i was fat not knowing who he was, til someone told me. As i look at my trophy daily that i won back in 1977, but didnt go pro cuz of family issues. I just get a high like no other when I shoot 8ball, even more now, since my head is so clear today.
(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) To all

K8te <hr /></blockquote>

I will play some 8 Ball with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bumps
01-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I started playing in the early '60s and don't remember the pros ever playing 8 ball unless there was enough money in a tournament to make it worth their participation. Now that Trudeau has got his events going with enough money to draw the pros, 8 ball will probably rise in popularity with them. In certain parts of the country, 8 ball is not the most popular game among serious players where there is not a lot of bar pool. When I started playing in a commercial billiard room in the earl '70s, the only ones who played 8 ball were the kids and beginners. The serious players played Straight Pool, 9-ball and One Pocket. Hardly any bar table play, so not a lot of 8 ball.

SPetty
01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> (www.ipt.com)
Go to the website for more info...<hr /></blockquote>http://www.internationalpooltour.com

SPetty
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote straight8:</font><hr>they use to call me Fats in female form lol <hr /></blockquote>Funny, they still call me a fat female form... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman3
01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote straight8:</font><hr>they use to call me Fats in female form lol <hr /></blockquote>Funny, they still call me a fat female form... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I call you the sexy, huggable total package. That is when Leeroy not listening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Billy_Bob
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about not much money being paid for pool tournaments in the U.S. Note that snooker in Europe pays tons of money for its tournaments.

I think the problem is 9-ball. Most people do not play 9-ball and have no interest in watching it on TV. Go to your local bar and they are all playing 8-ball.

So I think the thing which will get high TV ratings *and* thus tons of cash for the players will be 8-ball on TV.

You have young people watching, people who frequent bars, drinking, etc. A sponsors dream! All sorts of sponsors (non pool related) want their advertisements to reach the younger crowd. Alcohol advertisers have tons of advertising money, etc.

So I think 8-ball will be the thing of the future in the U.S. The players will go where the big money is. The viewers will prefer to watch 8-ball rather than 9-ball since they play 8-ball themselves. And pros can play either 8-ball or 9-ball.

Also in my area, most small local money tournaments are 8-ball. Again, this is what most people play. We have tried a local 9-ball money tournament and it did not work. Not enough people showed up. With 8-ball, well everybody knows how to play, so you get more people showing up to the tournaments.

And we did something quite radical. We switched a local "bar rules" 8-ball tournament to a "BCA rules" 8-ball tournament! I was not sure it would fly, but it did.

Many people in the area have been playing BCA league, so already know BCA rules. So most of the people showing up know and prefer BCA rules. And they have been a "force" to override the strictly "bar rules" types who are a very small minority at these tournaments.

We have had a very strong turnout for the BCA rules tournament, stronger than the bar-rules 8-ball tournament.

So check around for local 8-ball leagues and local 8-ball money tournaments. But also play 9-ball if you like that or that is all that some people are willing to play.

straight8
01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanx Billy bob after all the posts I've read and I think your right, there really isnt big$$$ In this particular sport, like all the others, You saved me alot of time, where I will shoot pool just for the love of the game and go elsewhere for success. Thanx again, for all the information.

Sincerely
K8te

Scott Lee
01-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Oooops! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks SPetty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

ryushen21
01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I see both played. Not to jump into any stereotypes, but in the pool rooms that i go to locally, you usually see the less experienced players shooting 8ball and the more experienced players shooting one pocket or 9ball. I almost never see a straight pool match and that makes me sad because it's my favorite game.

Still the worst thing is not being able to just play in the pool room. Everyone around here is always asking for a money game.