PDA

View Full Version : posting a picture

cueball1950
01-18-2006, 11:15 PM
ok, so i am computer stupid. but how do i post a picture on this board. i have it figured out over on az but not here....please help.......................mike

bsmutz
01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Basically you have to have the picture stored at some URL on the internet somewhere. Then when you post, click on the IMAGE link in the Instant UBB Code section on the post page and a box will pop up for you to type in the web address where the picture is stored (http://www.mikesweb.com/pictures/pooltable.jpg, for example). Same for an avatar.

SPetty
01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
At the bottom of the page you are reading now is a link to FAQ, and your answer can be found there:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/faq_english.php?Cat=#image

Bassn7
01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
But HOW do you store an image on the web first? I think it's this first step that is not understood, for myself too.

bsmutz
01-19-2006, 03:13 PM
This is a little more complicated, but still doable. Most internet service providers (the company you pay to be able to connect to the internet) offer disk space on a server at their place of business. It's kind of like your hard drive only it's on their computer. They give it an address that can be accessed by anyone. For instance, Qwest provides my internet service. My web address is http://www.users.qwest.net/~swjcarolyn. Now that you have the web space, you need a program on your computer that you can use to upload pictures or documents to your web space (basically transfer it from your computer to their computer). Front Page is a Microsoft program that allows you to easily create documents and manage your web site. Internet documents are usually written in HTML, a special language used to do this. It is fairly easy to learn and write your own code, but there are plenty of programs that do it for you. You just write what you want like a Word document, the program creates the code, and when you are done, it will transfer it to your web site.
A much easier alternative for most people is to store photos on a web site that offers photo storage to users for free without having to create a web site. Just do a search for free photo storage in any search engine and you should be able to find some sites. The only problem with this is that the storage time is most likely limited. You won't need special software to transfer you picture, however, so this is cheaper and easier also.
Lastly, there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to have to type this much in response to a simple question like this. Become familiar with search engines like Google or Metacrawler and use them to find out the answers to these types of questions. You will find a wealth of information about almost any subject you can think of, but especially computer questions.

SPetty
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> But HOW do you store an image on the web first? <hr /></blockquote>Oh. I was kinda wondering why I didn't see your picture after you asked this question a week ago... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Most Internet Service Providers, I think, provide their customers with some free web space. For instance, each AOL user name gets 2 MB of free web space. So you'd have to learn how to use that to put the pictures up. That generally requires ftp'ing files from your computer to the web site.

Or, there are picture hosting sites that you can use to put pictures out there. Some of them allow you to link to the picture directly, but others require that you post a URL and force us to click to go to the picture. They have built-in ftp capabilities to upload your pictures.

Others here know better on how to find a picture hosting site somewhere. Or, could google for free web space and find something. Hopefully, others more knowledgeable will chime in here.

heater451
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Now that you have the web space, you need a program on your computer that you can use to upload pictures or documents to your web space (basically transfer it from your computer to their computer). <hr /></blockquote>Also, many ISP's have webpages from which to upload files. These are usually buried in the "MyISP" pages. And, I think most providers follow the same home directory for personal space. The format is usually something like "www.myISP.com/~johndoe&lt;---a tilde and the name of the account. The given example was "www.users.qwest.net/~swjcarolyn" and I think mine is "www.mindspring.com/~heater451", or "www.earthlink.com/~heater451" (I don't have time to verify, but you should get the point.)<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>A much easier alternative for most people is to store photos on a web site that offers photo storage to users for free without having to create a web site. . . .The only problem with this is that the storage time is most likely limited. You won't need special software to transfer you picture, however, so this is cheaper and easier also.<hr /></blockquote>Some sites also disallow "deep linking", and won't serve the graphic. This means that you actually have to go to the page with the picture on it, and can't directly link to it. However you get to see all the pretty advertisements on their page.

hmmmmm.. . .This should be in the Newbies or NPR forum.

======================