PDA

View Full Version : Cue cases...

Wolven
01-20-2006, 12:32 AM
What kind of cue case do you use?
What would be a good Case for extreme climate hot/cold?

Thanks

Rich R.
01-20-2006, 03:48 AM
I use a Jack Justis case.

I don't think any case will provide great protection from extreme climate. None, that I know of, are insulated. The trick is to not let them stay in the extremes too long and let the cues get to room temperature, before you start using them.

CaptainHook
01-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I have 3 different rigs and they all have different cases.
My oldest is a 1987 Jay Flowers 2X4. My Banger rig has a soft Sterling 2X4 and my high dollar rig uses a Guiseppi 2X4. While we do not have extreme cold temps down here in central Florida, we do have extreme heat. I store my cues in there cases in a temp contorlled room with my Bass Guitars. During the really cold nights (very few) i will move them into a closet. I have never had a warpage problem. http://ebassist.com/photopost/data/500/medium/616musicroom.JPG

Bumps
01-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I have a Felleni 1x2 (from long ago);), a Porper 2x4, and currently carry a 2x4 Whitten. Probably the Porper because of it's foam-like construction around the holes would provide the best insulation, but I wouldn't advise counting on any case to provide a whole lot of protection from extreme heat or cold. I don't think cases have been designed with temperature in mind.

Deeman3
01-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I have Justis case I have used for 30 years. I have modified it a bit with some added leather and it keeps my cues very well protected. I would think the inexpensive vinyl cases with a lot of foam padding they have will do very well as well.

Deeman

BLACKHEART
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I own a beautiful custom case, by JACK JUSTIS. THERE IS NO BETTER...JER

Voodoo Daddy
01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CaptainHook:</font><hr> http://ebassist.com/photopost/data/500/medium/616musicroom.JPG <hr /></blockquote>

I see a couple of Fenders &lt;including a "J" bass&gt; a Rick and a Guild? Maybe a Dean or a Gibson far left but I cant tell. Great taste!!!

SpiderMan
01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Check with Deeman, he makes specialty cases that look like a "Mr Hanky Action Figure". Don't know about protection from heat and cold, but it's some of the best theft insurance to be found!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Cornerman
01-20-2006, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wolven:</font><hr>
What would be a good Case for extreme climate hot/cold?

Thanks
<hr /></blockquote>No idea. Haliburton?

I had my cues in an Instroke Cowboy (Saddle Series), and it was in the truck. The temperature dropped to 17 degrees F. I took my cue out inside, and that sucker was FREEZING cold. I let it hang out for a bit trying to warm it up.

So, conclusion: if an instroke doesn't insulate it, nothing commercially available. I think cuemakers should make Thinsulate available in their case lining.

Fred

Deeman3
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Check with Deeman, he makes specialty cases that look like a "Mr Hanky Action Figure". Don't know about protection from heat and cold, but it's some of the best theft insurance to be found!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Reaspectfully, Nobody can afford a Deeman case. They will protect a cue against .45 automatics but I just can't get the pricepoint anywhere in the typical Democrat's range. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am getting ready to send Mr. Poo to SPetty as soon as I locate those damn WPBA tapes I promised her. </font color>

Deeman

Wolven
01-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone for responses.

I currently have a cheap vinyl case and was going to buy something expensive for better protection against cold weather.
I have noticed that my current case holds cold extremely well!!!
Last night I went from a hot pool hall to a cold car and took a 20 minute ride.
The cue spent the night in a warm house. I just opened the case and the cue was still very cold and thatís after 20 hours!

Do you leave your cases closed at all times or would it be a good idea to open it for a moment to let some warmer air into tubes?

I know, paranoid questions but I just got a new cueÖ..:)

Thinsulate is a BRILLIANT IDEA! Since I probably canít afford to have someone make me a case with that I probably could get a bag to go over the case!

SPetty
01-20-2006, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> I am getting ready to send Mr. Poo to SPetty as soon as I locate those damn WPBA tapes I promised her. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>I've been patiently waiting and waiting and waiting, but I'm much too polite to bring it up yet again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Thanks for remembering! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Mr. Poo will have a hallowed place hanging somewhere in the PettyPoint Pool Hall!

tdurden87
01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Alright, I know this is a stupid question but what does the 1x2 and 2x4 mean? I know it has to do with the amount of butts and shafts allowed in the case but which is which?
Thanks,
Mark

Rich R.
01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tdurden87:</font><hr> Alright, I know this is a stupid question but what does the 1x2 and 2x4 mean? I know it has to do with the amount of butts and shafts allowed in the case but which is which?
Thanks,
Mark <hr /></blockquote>
1X2 = 1 butt and 2 shafts
2x4 = 2 butts and 4 shafts
3x6 = 3 butts and 6 shafts.

I think you get the idea. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornerman
01-21-2006, 04:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tdurden87:</font><hr> Alright, I know this is a stupid question but what does the 1x2 and 2x4 mean? I know it has to do with the amount of butts and shafts allowed in the case but which is which?
Thanks,
Mark <hr /></blockquote>It's crazy nomenclature. 1x2 means 1 butt, 2 shafts. And so on.

IMO, it should be 1/2 (read as: one, two) and 2/4 or 1+2 (one plus two) or 2+4. 1x2 (read as: one by two) makes no sense in any industry whatsoever, as 1x2 = 2.

Best IMO are the casemakers who write 1b/2s and 2b/4s

Fred

Steve - Detroit
01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wolven:</font><hr> Thanks everyone for responses.

I have noticed that my current case holds cold extremely well!!!
Last night I went from a hot pool hall to a cold car and took a 20 minute ride.
The cue spent the night in a warm house. I just opened the case and the cue was still very cold and thatís after 20 hours!

<hr /></blockquote>

Makes me think about a question Archie Bunker once asked, "How does a Thermos know if its supposed to keep the drink inside hot or cold"?

vaillancourtroch
01-21-2006, 10:09 AM
quote from Cornerman:

[ QUOTE ]
I had my cues in an Instroke Cowboy (Saddle Series), and it was in the truck. The temperature dropped to 17 degrees F. I took my cue out inside, and that sucker was FREEZING cold. I let it hang out for a bit trying to warm it up.

So, conclusion: if an instroke doesn't insulate it, nothing commercially available. I think cuemakers should make Thinsulate available in their case lining.<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think an insulated case would help in a situation like this. Insulation would not keep your cue warm. It might help in the sense that the temperature would take an extra hour or so before reaching steady state at 17 degrees F.

An insulated case would be good for short exposure to cold or heat.

It would be better to manufacture a cue case with large amounts of water in the walls, covered with insulation, since water has a high specific heat capacity. Notice how long a thermos keeps your coffee hot even in extreme cold?

SpiderMan
01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> I am getting ready to send Mr. Poo to SPetty as soon as I locate those damn WPBA tapes I promised her. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>I've been patiently waiting and waiting and waiting, but I'm much too polite to bring it up yet again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Thanks for remembering! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Mr. Poo will have a hallowed place hanging somewhere in the PettyPoint Pool Hall!
<hr /></blockquote>

"Floating in the swimming pool" comes immediately to mind (shades of Baby Ruth!!!!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

CaptainHook
01-23-2006, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote CaptainHook:</font><hr> http://ebassist.com/photopost/data/500/medium/616musicroom.JPG <hr /></blockquote>

I see a couple of Fenders &lt;including a "J" bass&gt; a Rick and a Guild? Maybe a Dean or a Gibson far left but I cant tell. Great taste!!! <hr /></blockquote>

You were close, but no Dean or Guild. From right to left.
Fender "J" Bass
Modulus Custom Bass
Fender "P" Bass
Fretlight Bass (L.E.D. Lights under fretboard)
Rickenbacker Bass
Yamaha Limited edition " Attitude" Bass
Fender 5 string "J" Bass
Hamer USA 12 string Chaparal Bass

Manda
01-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Just curious. I have a 2x3 Guiseppi case and it's starting to come apart at the top part of the strap. Is there anything I can do for this without having to buy a new case?