PDA

View Full Version : Playing Off The Rail

06-30-2002, 09:46 AM
I have just finished the book "playing Off The Rail". What i want to know is if there are any other pool related books out there? NOT INSTRUCTIONAL BOOKS, but a book with an actual storyline. If anyone has a chance to read Playing Off The Rail, READ IT. I'm especially looking for pool hustling journey type books. Thanks guys and gals!

john bastian in pa

PQQLK9
06-30-2002, 09:52 AM
McGorty (A Pool Room Hustler) by Robert Byrne
The Husler's Handbook by Steve Allen

06-30-2002, 10:20 AM
hey thanks Nick!

john bastian in pa

Scott Lee
06-30-2002, 10:38 AM
John...There are two others, out in the last couple of years. One is called "The Green Felt Jungle", by Gerald Huber; and the other is called "The Wonder Boys". Both can be found, I believe, on Amazon.com. Although "Playing Off The Rail" was a true story, these other two are fiction, but still center on poolroom antics.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
06-30-2002, 11:23 AM
"Bet High, Kiss Low" by Grady Mathews..

interesting read...

JimS
06-30-2002, 11:47 AM
And don't forget Grady Mathews, "Bet High, Kiss Low", and Bob Hennings, "Cornbread Red", or "From Rags to Rifleman, Now What?" which is Buddy Hall's bio by WW Woody (good luck finding it), and of course, "The Hustler and The Color of Money" by Walter Tevis, and then there's "Hustlers, Beats and Others" by Ned Polsky, and don't forget "BILLIARDS, Hustlers, & Heroes, Legends & Lies and The Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt" by John Grissim, (again....good luck finding it).

That's all I can think of. Have fun! I've read them all and enjoyed them a LOT!

OH! WAIT..."Do It For The Game" by Robert Cambell is a new one that I REALLY enjoyed. Do a search on the CCB search board and you'll find some posts by Mr. Campbelll and a link to where you can get the book...I think there's a link. Anyway, it's a really good read.

cuechick
07-01-2002, 09:18 AM
Also;
Hard Rain Falling, by Don Carpenter
it is out of print but I got a copy at Amazon usedfor less than 5.00.
I also love the Hustler by Walter Tevis, love, loved loved the book!! Much more fun than the movie for poolplayers.../ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

07-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Read most of the above....nothing beats "From Rags to Rifleman" for great reading! It's absolutely packed with great true stories about Buddy's road days. Hands down the best book on pool that I have ever read.

Regards,

Doug

9 Ball Girl
07-01-2002, 03:03 PM
Good book. It was a true story although the part about Tony R. sort of bent the truth a little. Tony R. never got to play with him.

JimS
07-02-2002, 12:03 PM
I agree 100%. I've started carrying it with me when I go to play tournaments. Reading it calms me, gives me peace and inspires me to play my best.

07-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Try my book "DO IT FOR THE GAME" You can check it out at www.doitforthegame.com (http://www.doitforthegame.com) Reviews so far have been positive. I am holding my breath on the Billiard Digest review. I don't know if they like it or not and I am scared to death!You can order right over the web site or call 888-610-7665

JimS
07-03-2002, 08:41 PM
As I said below.....I liked your book a LOT! Good writing, good story, high level of human interest and character development.