PDA

View Full Version : need connector for two shafts

radge69
01-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm looking for someone who can make a connector to attach two shafts together. It would need to be 5/16-14 threads. Basically I want to be able to connect two Joss shafts together. Something around the size of a joint protector is what I was thinking. Anybody know of such a thing or any cue maker want to try making one?

SpiderMan
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote radge69:</font><hr> I'm looking for someone who can make a connector to attach two shafts together. It would need to be 5/16-14 threads. Basically I want to be able to connect two Joss shafts together. Something around the size of a joint protector is what I was thinking. Anybody know of such a thing or any cue maker want to try making one? <hr /></blockquote>

That would be very easy to make on the lathe. I'm curious though, what's the application? Are you trying to come up with a standard-length shooting device that's very light, for some specialty shots?

I once tried a similar experiment, wanting to create a longer jump cue that was still light, but what I did was put a joint pin into an old shaft that I didn't mind wrecking.

The project was a mechanical success, but the longer stick did not seem to jump as well as a shorter one of similar weight. Perhaps the rotational inertia of the longer stick interfered with it getting out of the cueball's rebound path.

Spiderman

radge69
01-20-2006, 02:09 PM
It would be to make a jump cue. I have a stealth jump cue, but I don't have the room for my short jump shaft and the butt end of my stealth. I already have a 5/15-14 shaft with a phenolic tip for breaking, so I thought if I could get a connector I could combine the regular shaft with the stub shaft to make a light jump cue for close range jump shots. It would free up room in my case, and save me some cash as well.

Here is a link to a shaft similar to my stub jump shaft, they work great for longer jumps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-YOUR-SCHON-FALCON-MCDERMOTT-DOUBLES-AS-A-JUMPER_W0QQitemZ7212903593QQcategoryZ21210QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SpiderMan
01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Not a bad idea. With the "stub" shaft as a butt, you will wind up with a very light cue about 44" long, with connector. Let us know how it works!

SpiderMan

SPetty
01-20-2006, 06:21 PM
I think it's been done, but for the life of me I can't remember the details. A few years ago, I attended a charity event where they were raffling off something like you're describing. As I recall, it was a normal length shaft and a shorty length shaft, butt to butt. Weird looking thing, but again, as I recall, it was meant for jumping. I bought a few of the raffle tickets, but didn't win it.

It might have been a Jerico creation, but again, it might have been made by a guy that used to be local but has since moved - he also made the purpleheart break shafts. (I include that info because it might spark the memory of other locals...) I think randyg might know who/what I'm talking about, so I've added his moniker to the subject line to see if it will grab his attention.

SPetty
01-22-2006, 08:45 AM
I remembered what I was thinking - Michael Givens - michaelangelo custom cues - www.customq.com. (http://www.customq.com.)

The web site only gives an email address.

SpiderMan
01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I think it's been done, but for the life of me I can't remember the details. A few years ago, I attended a charity event where they were raffling off something like you're describing. As I recall, it was a normal length shaft and a shorty length shaft, butt to butt. Weird looking thing, but again, as I recall, it was meant for jumping. I bought a few of the raffle tickets, but didn't win it.

It might have been a Jerico creation, but again, it might have been made by a guy that used to be local but has since moved - he also made the purpleheart break shafts. (I include that info because it might spark the memory of other locals...) I think randyg might know who/what I'm talking about, so I've added his moniker to the subject line to see if it will grab his attention. <hr /></blockquote>

I believe Royce Bunnell may have experimented with such a device also. Perhaps he had it one night when we played his team in UPL.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
01-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Yea, Royce did use one of those and he'd built it himself...sid