PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Technique - Standard Cue

sherlock
01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I am in an APA league where they do not allow you to use a jump cue. Does anyone have any tips/practice drills for jumping with a standard cue? Thanks. P.S. I really wish APA would allow us to use our jump cue...

Deeman3
01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
sherlock,

I find I have to use a little more snap with my regular cue. I did all my jumping with my regular cue until a few years ago. I think it is much more difficult for someone who has been used to useing a jump cue.

The best advice is to hit a bunch of balls to learn how you have to hit it. Hit down with a snap to your wrist trying to drive the ball into the cloth. It may help to whip the tip back after you make contect. That seems the only way OI can get over a complete ball with a full cue if I'm near the object ball.

Deeman

dr_dave
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
The main things that make it easier to jump with a "jump cue" are light weight and hard tip. Therefore, use the lightest "standard cue" you can find with a hard tip. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice.

See also the links under "jump shot" in the threads summary area of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html). There's some useful info there, including some online instruction from Tom Simpson.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sherlock:</font><hr> I am in an APA league where they do not allow you to use a jump cue. Does anyone have any tips/practice drills for jumping with a standard cue? Thanks. P.S. I really wish APA would allow us to use our jump cue... <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Lay a long cue across the short rails with the butt end on top of one rail and the tip end under the lip of the long rail it's near, and begin jumping near the shallowest end near the ferrule. Work your way up as you get success, and you'll soon get good. One big fact in long cue jumps is that the cue you use really has a lot to do with the proficiency. I have a couple of my long cues that simply pop CBs into the air readily, and most all of the others are marginal to near impossible to get any real height. It's best to use a light wall cue with a thin tip if possible, say a 16oz, even an 18 or 19 with a really thin tip will jump. The tip needs to be hard to make it easier...sid

Billy
01-20-2006, 08:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sherlock:</font><hr> I am in an APA league where they do not allow you to use a jump cue. Does anyone have any tips/practice drills for jumping with a standard cue? Thanks. P.S. I really wish APA would allow us to use our jump cue... <hr /></blockquote>

the APA did the right thing by banning the shorter jump cue.

I also don't know what the APA rule is but if you jump you should only be allowed to jump with the cue you use regularly,not a lighter or a different cue even if it met the proper length restrictions.

as far as technique is concerned,it's all in the wrist as Deeman pointed out

jmo

Cane
01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Sherlock, unless the CB is very close to an OB, I do most of my jumping with my normal cue. I grew up jumping with my shooting cue, so maybe it's just more natural to me. Same stroke, a little speed and a loose grip and you can fly the CB with anything. Jump cues just make shots possible that really aren't realistic with a normal cue.

I do use a pretty hard tip on my cues, however, and maybe that helps. Was Moori III quicks until last week, but put Talisman pro hards on last week. A little softer than the Moori Quicks, but can still jump will with them.

later,
Bob

nipponbilliards
01-21-2006, 03:25 AM
I am no expert of full cue jump but there is a video here showing a full cue jump by a girl who is about 5" 6 or so. She is a WPBA pro and her name is Hsin Huang.

http://xtremebilliard.com/Gallery4/Full-Cue-Jump

Perhaps you can pick up some pointers from watching how she did it.

Good luck.

Richard

sherlock
01-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks to all for your helpful advice!