PDA

View Full Version : breaking

cram
01-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi,
Is there a site where it is possible to obtain a detailed information about breaking ?
I don't think that this subject is proposed (in detail) on the Dave's (*very* *excellent*)site.
I have some books (Capelle, Byrne, etc.) speaking about this but the information is incomplete. For ex., Capelle says that the pocketing percentages seem to be greater if the break is done at the second diamond near the cushion but he doesn't say what ball is aimed (the '1' or -as someone said to me- the second ball) and how it is done (with follow, center-ball, ... ?)
Thanks!
Marc (from Belgium)

Deeman3
01-23-2006, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cram:</font><hr> Hi,
Is there a site where it is possible to obtain a detailed information about breaking ?
I don't think that this subject is proposed (in detail) on the Dave's (*very* *excellent*)site.
I have some books (Capelle, Byrne, etc.) speaking about this but the information is incomplete. For ex., Capelle says that the pocketing percentages seem to be greater if the break is done at the second diamond near the cushion but he doesn't say what ball is aimed (the '1' or -as someone said to me- the second ball) and how it is done (with follow, center-ball, ... ?)
Thanks!
Marc (from Belgium) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Marc,

ONe of the CCB memebrs (ceebee) has a whole book on the break shot with Joe Tucker's racking secrets as a bonus in the book.

Look for The Great Break Shot. </font color>

Deeman

Billy_Bob
01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
The GREAT Break Shot by Charley Bond
http://www.breakrak.com/Accessories.html

cram
01-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks!
The book doesn't seem to be on amazon.fr
I just wrote to the link proposed on the site you mentioned, to know if it is possible to get the book without paying too much import taxes.
BTW, any web links concerning the break shot?
Thanks again,
Marc

Billy_Bob
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
So far as I know, this book is all there is.

Breaking/racking will be mentioned briefly in other books, but those books try to cover everything, so little space is devoted to this topic.

But what is neat about billiards books such as this, is that they cover a specific subject in-depth.

And very few players know about books like this, so that makes them even better!

Also if you can, videotape yourself breaking. Then play it back in slow motion. You may be surprised at what you see!

SPetty
01-23-2006, 02:59 PM
In addition to having it for sale on his web site, Charley also puts the book up on eBay on occasion. I'd have to agree, it's a great book and well worth what you'll pay for it.

You can also get it at http://www.bebobpublishing.com/mainindex.htm, click on "Books &amp; Videos" then click on "More Books".

You're asking about the break specifically, and this book is about the break specifically. It doesn't get any better than that!

Bob_Jewett
01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cram:</font><hr> ... For ex., Capelle says that the pocketing percentages seem to be greater if the break is done at the second diamond near the cushion but he doesn't say what ball is aimed (the '1' or -as someone said to me- the second ball) and how it is done (with follow, center-ball, ... ?)... <hr /></blockquote>
You don't mention which game you are talking about. Eight ball, nine ball, English eight ball, one pocket....

If the rack is tight, it will nearly always break better than a loose rack.

As far as the cue ball, the goal on power breaks is for the cue ball to hit no cushions. Ideally, it will stop in the middle of the table. Adjust your draw/follow/fullness to make this happen.

cram
01-24-2006, 09:39 AM
You don't mention which game you are talking about. Eight ball, nine ball, English eight ball, one pocket....

If the rack is tight, it will nearly always break better than a loose rack.

As far as the cue ball, the goal on power breaks is for the cue ball to hit no cushions. Ideally, it will stop in the middle of the table. Adjust your draw/follow/fullness to make this happen.

Bob Jewett

Marc: I was talking about 8-ball and 9-ball concerning the depart location of the CB and about 9-ball concerning the advice of someone saying to me that it is the 2 (side) ball which has to be aimed and not the front ball.
If wat you are saying about the fact that thr CB must not hit cushions, it is obvious that the advice of this person is false.
Concerning American books, the problem for an European is that the taxes are *very* great when we buy something in the USA (via a non European web site). I once bought a book via amazon.com and was surprised to have to pay +/- 20 dollars more than the 'taxes+fees' (just 'import' taxes going in the state pocket ...
Can you, american people, say to your authors to distribute their books, DVD's, etc. via European sites too ;-)

runout
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Try http://www.easypooltutor.com/articles.html they have some decent articles.

DSAPOLIS
01-24-2006, 04:37 PM
These are some articles that I wrote several years ago... hope it helps....

Breaking To Win (http://www.geocities.com/theblackjacktable_nl/Breaking_to_Win.html)

Mastering The Break (http://www.geocities.com/theblackjacktable_nl/Mastering_the_break.html)

Article Index (http://www.geocities.com/theblackjacktable_nl/Article_Index.html)

cram
01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the links provided by Runout and Dsapolis!
Marc

Teadaemon
01-25-2006, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cram:</font><hr>
Concerning American books, the problem for an European is that the taxes are *very* great when we buy something in the USA (via a non European web site). I once bought a book via amazon.com and was surprised to have to pay +/- 20 dollars more than the 'taxes+fees' (just 'import' taxes going in the state pocket ...
Can you, american people, say to your authors to distribute their books, DVD's, etc. via European sites too ;-) <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know if it'd be of any use to you, but it might be worth knowing that printed material (books, magazines, etc) attracts zero import duty in the UK. If you could find someone in the UK willing to order the book on your behalf, they could then post it on to you, and as it would then be a transaction between two EU member states it would also attract no import duty.

If I had the capital I'd actually be tempted to start a small business doing this, as I suspect the demand might make it worthwhile.