PDA

View Full Version : Conceiled Carry Weapon Permit Alabama Style

Deeman3
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I usually spend about 3 days making arrangements to get my conceiled weapons permit switched to a new state. I just went down to the local Sheriff's office with my passport, Texas Permit, driver's liscence and prom picture. I step in the office ask for a form, it asked for my SS number, DOB, Name and if I had any arrests. The form required less than two minutes, they ran me through the NCI and I walked out with my permit less than 5 minutes after giving them $20! I usually spend hours getitng a new set of tags, and sometimes days on the permit. Alabama, land of the free and home of the brave. They didn't ask to see anything!

Deeman
Yep, I'm packin'

Rich R.
01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I usually spend about 3 days making arrangements to get my conceiled weapons permit switched to a new state. I just went down to the local Sheriff's office with my passport, Texas Permit, driver's liscence and prom picture. I step in the office ask for a form, it asked for my SS number, DOB, Name and if I had any arrests. The form required less than two minutes, they ran me through the NCI and I walked out with my permit less than 5 minutes after giving them $20! I usually spend hours getitng a new set of tags, and sometimes days on the permit. Alabama, land of the free and home of the brave. They didn't ask to see anything! <hr /></blockquote>
This wouldn't make me feel very secure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wolfdancer
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Dee, afraid of them U.A.W. boys???...or just some crazed liberals?
Them conceiled gun permits, must be easier to get then the concealed weapons permits, eh???
Well, you're packing, and Winchester is packing up, closing their Conn plant, and shutting the door on a bit of Americana.
The Gun comany that made the gun that won the west

is moving to the far East...Japan....Belgium and Portugal

web page (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/winchester.ap/?section=cnn_us)

It's sad to think about all them southern boys, with no rifle fer thar pickup http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2006/01/18/inside2-winchester.jpg

Deeman3
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Rich,

Yes, that was sort of my take on it as well. it was easy for me but that means it is probably that easy for most. I know we don't have much gun violence in Alabama but it doesn't make me, a gun advocate, feel very good if everyone can get a permit. Of course, guns are easy to get here as well compared to most other parts of the country. However, I don't advocate the Archy Bunker theory, "Give all the passengers guns and you won't have a problem."

The biggest problem we seem to have here is the idiots who don't properly store guns away from children and others who should never be around one. Most of us grow up using guns every day and are taught proper safety, proper respect and when it is appropriate to use a firearm. Now, with crackheads raising children and guns in their homes, it seems every month someone is shot by accident.

Oh well, at least I can shoot back, JK!

Deeman

heater451
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>. . .the Archy Bunker theory, "Give all the passengers guns and you won't have a problem."<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Robert A. Heinlein:</font><hr>An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.<hr /></blockquote>

=====================

Deeman3
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dee, afraid of them U.A.W. boys???...or just some crazed liberals? <font color="blue"> I think Tennessee is as far south as those UAW boys wanna venture. </font color>
Well, you're packing, and Winchester is packing up, closing their Conn plant, and shutting the door on a bit of Americana.
The Gun comany that made the gun that won the west

is moving to the far East...Japan....Belgium and Portugal

web page (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/winchester.ap/?section=cnn_us)

It's sad to think about all them southern boys, with no rifle fer thar pickup http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2006/01/18/inside2-winchester.jpg <font color="red">Winchester '73???? </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Wolf, You know there won't be a shortage of guns in my lifetime down here and, No, we don't let liberals have firearms here. Part of the test for the purchase of a gun is rationality...JK.</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

SpiderMan
01-24-2006, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I usually spend about 3 days making arrangements to get my conceiled weapons permit switched to a new state. I just went down to the local Sheriff's office with my passport, Texas Permit, driver's liscence and prom picture. I step in the office ask for a form, it asked for my SS number, DOB, Name and if I had any arrests. The form required less than two minutes, they ran me through the NCI and I walked out with my permit less than 5 minutes after giving them $20! I usually spend hours getitng a new set of tags, and sometimes days on the permit. Alabama, land of the free and home of the brave. They didn't ask to see anything!
Deeman
Yep, I'm packin' <hr /></blockquote>

That's interesting, considering that Alabama is one of the few "carry" states that does not yet have a reciprocity agreement with Texas. I guess they are just very liberal on their gun-friendliness. Probably showing the Texas CHL didn't influence the process as much as your prom picture /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

CarolNYC
01-25-2006, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem we seem to have here is the idiots who don't properly store guns away from children and others who should never be around one. Most of us grow up using guns every day and are taught proper safety, proper respect and when it is appropriate to use a firearm. Now, with crackheads raising children and guns in their homes, it seems every month someone is shot by accident <hr /></blockquote>

I agree-guns don't shoot people,people shoot people /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman,
This permit allows you to carry the gun at all times ?

Carol

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
The biggest problem we seem to have here is the idiots who don't properly store guns away from children and others who should never be around one. Most of us grow up using guns every day and are taught proper safety, proper respect and when it is appropriate to use a firearm. Now, with crackheads raising children and guns in their homes, it seems every month someone is shot by accident <hr /></blockquote>

I agree-guns don't shoot people,people shoot people /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman,
This permit allows you to carry the gun at all times ?

Carol <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">
Carol,

The exceptions are that we can't carry into a bar that serves alcohol or a state or federal office building. We can carry them into schools (surprisingly) or other places of business although I certainly wouldn't take one in a school just on principal. The permit is good in about half the states as long as we abide by that states conceiled carry laws. The vast majority of us who have conceiled carry permits are even more cautious than everyone else with guns as we value the right to carry and know we much act responsibly or have that right taken away.

Deeman
</font color>

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

That's interesting, considering that Alabama is one of the few "carry" states that does not yet have a reciprocity agreement with Texas. I guess they are just very liberal on their gun-friendliness. Probably showing the Texas CHL didn't influence the process as much as your prom picture /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue"> Spiderman, In fact they didn't have an interest in looking at anything except my application. I just stuck the Texas permit back in my wallet! I do beleive the lack of a reciprocal aggreement with Texas si becasue they require no safety training course in Alabama. I later asked a guy at work why they didn't require a gun class in Alabama and his answer while maybe a little stupid might make sense to someone from here. "Everone frum here knows how to use a gun." </font color>

Deeman
No accidental shootings here, they hit waht they aim fer....

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree-guns don't shoot people,people shoot people
<hr /></blockquote>

What do people shoot other people with? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I agree-guns don't shoot people,people shoot people
<hr /></blockquote>

What do people shoot other people with? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

<font color="blue"> The Bull, The Bird, The water cannon, the Hassleblad, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
01-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I wish I could be carrying here in California.
We have a gunphobic government here.
As if all those gun laws have lowered the crime rate.

I guess they are getting a little complascent there.
Then again, what criminal would walk in that office and apply for a CCW?
QTEC, you'd feel safe in Washington, DC. They have the strictes gun laws there.

Btw, doesn't your government allow you to have sub-machineguns at home?
What happened to the Jews who surrendered their guns to the Germans?
What happened to the Polish-Jews who kept their guns during the Nazi days?

Gayle in MD
01-25-2006, 12:34 PM
The whole Washington Metro Area has strict laws regarding guns, Maryland and virginia, they have to be kept locked, in your glove compartment, or brief case, even if you have a license to carry one. Not much sense in applying for one if you have to keep it locked. Going through your life with a concealed weapon sure makes you tow the line though! I'm glad I am a woman, and can carry a hand bag!

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Now THAT is funny.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I wish I could be carrying here in California.
As if all those gun laws have lowered the crime rate. <font color="blue"> I do find it interesting that the cities with the most restrictive gun carrry and ownership laws are the same places where the highest death by firearm rates are, without exception. New York, Chicago, Detroit, L.A. &amp; D.C. Go figure. </font color>

I guess they are getting a little complascent there.
Then again, what criminal would walk in that office and apply for a CCW? <font color="blue"> Yes, the NCIS background check will slow 'em down. </font color>
QTEC, you'd feel safe in Washington, DC. They have the strictes gun laws there.

Btw, doesn't your government allow you to have sub-machineguns at home? <font color="blue"> I don't think Holland has automatic weapons for the public but they do have a youth military organization that allows the use and maintenance of guns, right, Q?. </font color>
What happened to the Jews who surrendered their guns to the Germans? <font color="blue"> They were smelted in the same ovens as their handguns. </font color>
What happened to the Polish-Jews who kept their guns during the Nazi days? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Isn't that why there are so many Polish Jews still around and so few German Jews? </font color>

I pray I will never again need a handgun but would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Deeman

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> The whole Washington Metro Area has strict laws regarding guns, Maryland and virginia, they have to be kept locked, in your glove compartment, or brief case, even if you have a license to carry one. Not much sense in applying for one if you have to keep it locked. Going through your life with a concealed weapon sure makes you tow the line though! I'm glad I am a woman, and can carry a hand bag!

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Gayle,

I agree. What good is a gun if it's locked up somewhere. We have equal rights for ladies to have carry permits but, in reality, they rarely got them. It's sorta understoof that a woman can have a gun in her purse. If a cop sees it, he looks the other way. I would hope the cops in DC would do the same for you. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

An exception is my wife. I won't allow her to carry one. I know it may sound silly but it's not. She will not kill anyone under any circumstances and if you can't make that choice well before the fact, the gun justs puts you in more danger. She can handle and fire one quite well but she is just not ready to use one emotionally.

However, we're always together so she will let my Karma suffer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A recommendation to you ladies who may live alone and are not comfortable with a gun. Make a tape of a pump 12 gage shotgun chambering a round. Put it on the table next to your bed. If you hear someone in your place, play that tape on loud. If anyone can make themselves enter your room after hearing that sound, you wouldn't have had a chance anyway. </font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that why there are so many Polish Jews still around and so few German Jews? <hr /></blockquote>
In the interest of accuracy, I'd have to disagree with you there. The German Jews were first forced to register, then without warning were rounded up.....they had little chance of resisting in their homeland, when the majority of the populace was against them. They might have picked off a few GWB types (sorry, couldn't resist), but it would have only meant a swifter death for them. In "Handguns and rifles against tanks"...bet on the tanks side.
The Polish Jews had familiar territory, a resistance force, and more sympathetic countrymen.
I believe the Polish Jews had the better chance of survival

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Isn't that why there are so many Polish Jews still around and so few German Jews? <hr /></blockquote>
In the interest of accuracy, I'd have to disagree with you there. The German Jews were first forced to register, then without warning were rounded up.....they had little chance of resisting in their homeland, when the majority of the populace was against them. They might have picked off a few GWB types (sorry, couldn't resist), but it would have only meant a swifter death for them. In "Handguns and rifles against tanks"...bet on the tanks side.
The Polish Jews had familiar territory, a resistance force, and more sympathetic countrymen.
I believe the Polish Jews had the better chance of survival <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Don't confuse me with the facts! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif No, I knew I'd have a hard time sliding that by you but while the Polish Jews certainly had more options, the resistance was helped by their maintaining weapons. While you may be right about the German Jews in the big picture, it didn't start with Kristalnacht. The rights of Jews were slowly and systemacially eroded by ever emboldened Nazis who were in fact cowards but responded by ever more outrageous acts when they faced such little opposition. You and I both know that German Jews were on the whole much more pacifist than those of Hungary, Poland and even France at the time. So in the end, tanks would have overcome handguns. However, I do really blieve that if the Jews had resisted much earlier and much stronger, the Nazis would still have been abusive in the end but by that time many of the Jews would have realsized the futility of cooperation and staying in Germany. It was very late in the game that the Nazis woould not let them leave. Sadly, most Jews held Gewrmany in a loving regard and never thought they would be killed. Respectfully. pacifists often make this same mistake. Try to take my gun, see the different response you may get. Try to tell a large group of gangers in East L.A. that you are gonna "Move" them to a holding place and see the response. You can tell the entire faculty at Berkeley that you taking their guns and moving them to a commune and they'll collect the guns for you and ask for a map of the beach at their destination. </font color>

Deeman

SpiderMan
01-25-2006, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> The whole Washington Metro Area has strict laws regarding guns, Maryland and virginia, they have to be kept locked, in your glove compartment, or brief case, even if you have a license to carry one. Not much sense in applying for one if you have to keep it locked. Going through your life with a concealed weapon sure makes you tow the line though! I'm glad I am a woman, and can carry a hand bag!

I've lived in Texas since 1976, and for more than 20 years every pro-gun organization at the state and national level tried to get some sort of "shall issue" or similar legislation passed, to no avail. Invariably we were bombarded by well-organized propaganda from Democratic politicians (mainly governors Mark White and Ann Richards), who made no bones about their intention to veto any such legislation, and rabid/slobbering Jabba-the-Hut lookalike lunatic busybody Molly Ivins, who promised we'd have bloody gunfights ensuing from every minor traffic altercation.

I don't like everything George Bush has done, but as governor of Texas he publicly supported the right to armed self-defense, told the liberal naysayers and nutcases to sit down and shut up, signed the bill into law, and personally applied for Texas Concealed Handgun license #0001. Carjackings and muggings dropped almost overnight.

Requiring concealed rather than open carry is a brilliant option. Although the actual number of licensees (as a percentage of total population) is fairly small, a mugger waiting in an alley never knows who is armed and who isn't - the guns are concealed. Since passage of "concealed carry", I now feel safer even when I don't have the gun - because no one knows if I'm packing. I might be ... or the guy walking half a block behind me might be (he has legal right to use deadly force in my defense) ... do you feel lucky today?

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm not against gun ownership....had a few rifles myself,and once while practicing my fast draw with a .22 pistol, managed to get off a shot before the gun cleared the holster. Didn't get shot, but it was the end of my fast draw competitions.
I've posted this before....but this girl i knew tried to kill herself with the husband's .357....held the gun to her head, pulled the trigger and nothing happened....so she examined the gun, somehow released the safety, and pulled the trigger again....shooting herself in the leg.
I'm thinking now of getting a gun....these kids play basketball, late at night,using them portable hoops....and I'm thinking a few warning shots.........
Say you keep inventing them new words faster then Webster can add em to their dictionary "systemacially"....you Ala boys are ahead of the curve though.

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Requiring concealed rather than open carry is a brilliant option. Although the actual number of licensees (as a percentage of total population) is fairly small, a mugger waiting in an alley never knows who is armed and who isn't - the guns are concealed. Since passage of "concealed carry", I now feel safer even when I don't have the gun - because no one knows if I'm packing. I might be ... or the guy walking half a block behind me might be (he has legal right to use deadly force in my defense) ... do you feel lucky today?

<font color="blue"> As I've said before, people against legal gun ownership should put their security where their mouth is, hanging a sign outisde their residence saying, "This house has no guns." Otherwise they are feeding and benefiting from the very thing they rant against.

Deeman </font color>

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I'm not against gun ownership....had a few rifles myself,and once while practicing my fast draw with a .22 pistol, managed to get off a shot before the gun cleared the holster. Didn't get shot, but it was the end of my fast draw competitions. <font color="blue"> O.K. I can't spell "Systematically" but I don't often even nearly shoot myself in fast draw practice. We, in Alabama, shoot while the other guy is looking ways negating the need to be fast draw artists. We leave that to Matt Dillon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>
I've posted this before....but this girl i knew tried to kill herself with the husband's .357....held the gun to her head, pulled the trigger and nothing happened....so she examined the gun, somehow released the safety, and pulled the trigger again....shooting herself in the leg.
I'm thinking now of getting a gun....these kids play basketball, late at night,using them portable hoops....and I'm thinking a few warning shots......... <font color="blue"> Works for me. Make sure you fire a warning shot just in the interest of fair play. </font color>
Say you keep inventing them new words faster then Webster can add em to their dictionary "systemacially"....you Ala boys are ahead of the curve though. <font color="blue">My fingers do tend to be even slower than my little brain. If my mother saw how I spelled and punctuated on the CCB, she would drag me off the computer and sit me in a corner. However, don't slight these Alabama folks by making a comparison of them to a poor Arkansas boy like me. They have real examples of smart folks, we only had Billy Clinton..... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
Levon Helm was my closest neighbor as a boy.....Don't remember him do you? Hint, he worked for Harold Jenkins

nAz
01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I wish I could be carrying here in California.
As if all those gun laws have lowered the crime rate. <font color="blue"> I do find it interesting that the cities with the most restrictive gun carrry and ownership laws are the same places where the highest death by firearm rates are, without exception. New York, Chicago, Detroit, L.A. &amp; D.C. Go figure. </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Dee all these guns end up coming from the criminals who sell these guns in other states, they really should make it a lot harder to buy fire arms...I think some states allow you two buy 1 or 2 a month? thats a hell of a lot of guns.

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I wish I could be carrying here in California.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Dee all these guns end up coming from the criminals who sell these guns in other states, they really should make it a lot harder to buy fire arms...I think some states allow you two buy 1 or 2 a month? thats a hell of a lot of guns.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Actually, most of these guns come from other states. Yes, but just because a gun is legally sold in Mass. (The largest supplier to NYC) does not make the sale a criminal act. The transport and resale if illegal is the fault of the criminal, not the state it was sold in. i agree, you don't need to but 30 guns a month (the limit in Alabama) so tighten that up a bit, won'tr bother me at all. While you're at it, start prosecuting the use of guns in crimes more aggressively and putting these poor misguided terrorist in jail for more than a year or two. Just don't punish the honest citizen for a criminals behaviour.</font color>

Deeman

nAz
01-25-2006, 08:38 PM
I wonder how hi or low would the crime rate be if everyone was required to carry a gun? I remember reading a story of a town in FLA. that had a similar law... i wonder how it worked out.

http://www.lunatic.no/tihi.jpg

CarolNYC
01-26-2006, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do people shoot other people with? <hr /></blockquote>

SPITBALLS /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good one,Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol

CarolNYC
01-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Hmmmm,Deeman,interesting......
I like your responses and you seem to be very well educated on the responsibilities and consequences involved with that carry permit-good for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now...lets pray you stay safe and never have to use it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
01-26-2006, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
because no one knows if I'm packing. I might be ... or the guy walking half a block behind me might be (he has legal right to use deadly force in my defense) ... do you feel lucky today?
<hr /></blockquote>

Welcome to NY /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol

Gayle in MD
01-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Deeman,
I doubt that I would get any special consideration in the District if a cop saw my gun, I'd probably get hauled into jail. I keep it in my purse, in an athletic type ankle sock, so it isn't noticable when my purse is open, but easily accessable.

In the early years of our marriage, we lived in an apartment, and a man tried to break in on me. He didn't get in, thankfully, but while I waited for the police to arrive, locked in the bathroom, with a butcher knife, and my baby hidden behind the shower curtain, in the bathtub, all I could think of was....if only I had a gun. I have never been without one since.

I have had girlfriends, and even my daughter, and sister, who are afraid of guns, don't want them in the house, and claim they could never shoot anyone. I must confess, that really irritates me, I can't relate to it at all. My sister lives alone, and wouldn't get a gun. I have recently bought them both handguns and begun to take them both target practicing. For now, they insist that I keep their guns locked up here at my house, but I am looking forward to the day when they both feel comfortable taking their guns home, and using them for their own protection. No woman should be without a gun, IMO.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Wow, "Rabid/slobbering, Jabba the Hut lookalike, lunatic busybody Molly Ivers" LOL, if I had written that, the cons on here would be all over me!

Well, thanks for the GB story, that's the first sensible thing I have ever head about him ever doing. I wasn't aware that liberals were against having the right to carry a gun, but then, as I keep telling you all, I don't consider myself a liberal, lol, and I've got a gun to prove it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now Spidey, had you known I had a gun in my purse, would you have kicked my a## like you did when we played pool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifJ KDNG....

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
01-26-2006, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hmmmm,Deeman,interesting......
I like your responses and you seem to be very well educated on the responsibilities and consequences involved with that carry permit-good for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now...lets pray you stay safe and never have to use it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Thanks Carol,

I pray I never use it as well. I think attitude has much to do with it. If you are anxious to use a gun, to whip it out at the slightest instance, you probably should not carry one. A person should be resolute but very reluctant to use a firearm and only treat it as a last resort. 99.9% of situations will resolve themselves peacefully, the key may be to have the patience to let everything slide, with the exception of real life threatening situations which are few and far between, thankfully. If you find joy in hurting or killing another human being, you certainly don't need a firearm to add to your problems. If we think pulling a firearm out of your pocket resolves most situations, we are only fooling ourselves. It should be the very, very, very last resort and then with sadness that it had to happen. </font color>

Deeman

SpiderMan
01-26-2006, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Wow, "Rabid/slobbering, Jabba the Hut lookalike, lunatic busybody Molly Ivers" LOL, if I had written that, the cons on here would be all over me!

Well, thanks for the GB story, that's the first sensible thing I have ever head about him ever doing. I wasn't aware that liberals were against having the right to carry a gun, but then, as I keep telling you all, I don't consider myself a liberal, lol, and I've got a gun to prove it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now Spidey, had you known I had a gun in my purse, would you have kicked my a## like you did when we played pool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifJ KDNG....

"Show me yours and I'll show you mine?" Ha Ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding, I probably would have discussed shooting with you.

Historically, most anti-gun rhetoric has come from the left - Schumer, Kennedy, Boxer, Clinton, Feinstein, etc. If you are pro-gun, you must remember Bill Clinton's first acceptance speech! Now THAT scared the S**T out of me, and I probably bought five more guns that month /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another hint would be to look at the politician's "gun-friendly" ratings from NRA or TSRA. Almost none of the left-leaning politicos favor personal responsibility and the right to self-protection. I don't personally see why it must always be so, but it seems guaranteed that social and economic liberalism will go hand-in-hand with reduced self-sufficiency.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
01-26-2006, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Requiring concealed rather than open carry is a brilliant option. Although the actual number of licensees (as a percentage of total population) is fairly small, a mugger waiting in an alley never knows who is armed and who isn't - the guns are concealed. Since passage of "concealed carry", I now feel safer even when I don't have the gun - because no one knows if I'm packing. I might be ... or the guy walking half a block behind me might be (he has legal right to use deadly force in my defense) ... do you feel lucky today?

<font color="blue"> As I've said before, people against legal gun ownership should put their security where their mouth is, hanging a sign outisde their residence saying, "This house has no guns." Otherwise they are feeding and benefiting from the very thing they rant against.

Deeman </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Another example would be (some) Canadians who rant about US militancy while hiding behind our coattails. Wonder how high Canadian taxes would go if their southern neighbors weren't spending billions to secure the continent?

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I guess I thought that Ronald Reagan's "Brady Bill" was the catalyst for the anti-gun philosophy, back when Reagan was shot, and poor Mr. Brady was so terribly wounded. I guess I never really thought about it much, in a liberal or conservative sense, since nothing would change my mind, regardless of the laws. So far though, I haven't ever pulled it out when shooting pool, LOL, if I did, I'd probably shoot my own brains out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let's not forget to mention those Rebonics, what the right calls welfare, and social programs, and a lack of self responsibility, the left calls aid for the needy, temporarily giving a guy a hand when he's down, or having a government that does the "Christian thing" ... since charity should begin at home...

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
01-27-2006, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I wonder how hi or low would the crime rate be if everyone was required to carry a gun? I remember reading a story of a town in FLA. that had a similar law... i wonder how it worked out.
<hr /></blockquote>

Back in the '80s, Morton Grove, Illinois passed a law prohibiting guns within the city limits. As a gesture of protest, Kennesaw, Georgia responded with a law requiring every household to have a gun (with provisions for conscientious objectors).

Two years later, Morton Grove's burglary rates had gone up and Kennesaw's had gone down, by statistically-significant amounts.

Apparently a "gun in the house" is a deterrent to burglary (as in the burglar's increased risk of meeting an armed resident), not an encouragement (as in offering something worth stealing).

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I guess I thought that Ronald Reagan's "Brady Bill" was the catalyst for the anti-gun philosophy, back when Reagan was shot, and poor Mr. Brady was so terribly wounded. I guess I never really thought about it much, in a liberal or conservative sense, since nothing would change my mind, regardless of the laws. So far though, I haven't ever pulled it out when shooting pool, LOL, if I did, I'd probably shoot my own brains out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let's not forget to mention those Rebonics, what the right calls welfare, and social programs, and a lack of self responsibility, the left calls aid for the needy, temporarily giving a guy a hand when he's down, or having a government that does the "Christian thing" ... since charity should begin at home...

Gayle,

I'm shocked - were you living abroad in the '90s? The "Brady Bill" was passed during the Clinton administration, not the Reagan administration!!!!!!!!

In Bill Clinton's first acceptance speech, he pleaded with congress, "BRING ME A BRADY BILL, AND I'LL SIGN IT". Backlash from anti-gun foolishness helped sweep a chamber-pot-full of Democrats (most of whom supported the Brady bill) out of office in the mid-term elections.

Note: I'm neither Democrat nor Republican, I disagree with "big government" in general. Gun rights, however, is one issue where there's a pretty distinct line drawn. Very few Democrats are pro-gun or pro-individual-responsibilty.

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
01-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Well, don't be shocked, as I said, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the gun laws, since I knew I wouldn't abide by them. What little I do remember about those times, was that Brady's wife organized loads of republicans to back her efforts here in Washington, for the Brady Bill, and, they were republicans and democrats.

I think that is the worst misconception of all, the idea that so called Liberals, or Democrats, however you label the philosophy, are not for self responsibility, and /or, are for big government. George Bush and the Republicans, have grown the government more than any president in my memory, and have spent more money on pork barrel (Bribes) pay offs, which are hidden through earmarks, and pushed through stealth, middle of the night, voting. I can't remember the numbers at the moment, but the increase on the special interests, earmarks, hidden in other bills, has grown by the thousands, many thousands, over the last few years.

The middle class, with sliding wages, the poor and poverty strickened, growing by leaps and bounds, the rich enjoying huge tax relief, the trade deficits climbing, and the National Deficit growing tremendous debt. Then, we have to deal with a president who is out there BSing the public with fantasy's about the State of the Union, and growing economy, while he mortgages the future of our children and grand children. We are being sold down the river by Bush, his corporate cronies, and the corrupt republican bribe-taking, money mongers on the hill. Where, I'd like to know, is the so called Self-responsibility for what the republican party is doing to this country?????? The money they have cost this country is a drop in the bucket to the amounts we spend to feed hungry children in this country. Even those who file bankruptsy due to huge health costs, and drugs they need to live, will now lose everything, including their homes, thanks to Bush, and the republicans. Over fifty percent of bankruptsies are due to soaring health costs, families who have a loved one battling cancer, and other devastating diseases, and debt incurred by those who can no longer get by on the dwindling wages they can make in this country. The Pharmeteutical Industry has the Republicans in their back pocket, and will continue to rob us all, and the last four Presidents sold us out in their global trade agreements, Bush being the biggest offender.

I'd love to see a little self responsibility from George Bush, who can't think of any mistakes he has made, LOL. He is a crook, a sneak, and a liar, leading the most corrupt administration in history. Our people are dying for people who intend to aliegn themselves with terrorist nations. What the hell are we doing?????

Gayle in Md, Down with REBONICS!

Qtec
01-29-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another hint would be to look at the politician's "gun-friendly" ratings from NRA or TSRA. Almost none of the left-leaning politicos favor personal responsibility and the right to self-protection. I don't personally see why it must always be so, but it seems guaranteed that social and economic liberalism will go hand-in-hand with reduced self-sufficiency.

What they should do is make it against the law NOT to carry a gun.! Just think how much safer you will be when you walk into in bar knowing that the 40 customers are all armed to the teeth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

People buy guns because it makes them feel safe but at the same time it only adds fuel to the fire. ie, the more guns sold = more guns on the street.
People arming themselves in this way only perpetuates the problem.

BTW, "Almost none of the left-leaning politicos favor personal responsibility and the right to self-protection.".is BS. What you are reciting is GOP propoganda. EVERYBODY is for 'personal responsibility and the right to self-protection'.
Give me one politician thats says a citizen does not have the right to defend himself. Go on...I,m waiting..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

SpiderMan
01-30-2006, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Well, don't be shocked, as I said, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the gun laws, since I knew I wouldn't abide by them. What little I do remember about those times, was that Brady's wife organized loads of republicans to back her efforts here in Washington, for the Brady Bill, and, they were republicans and democrats. <hr /></blockquote>

Check again - the voting for the "Brady Bill" was very much along party lines. I'm not saying it's always going to be the case, but few Democrats seem to trust us common folk with the means to resist.

Want to prevent random killing? Don't ban my "assault rifles", ban Ted Kennedy's car! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
01-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Or Laura Bush's car! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
01-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Neither Ted nor Laura deserves to be elected. Wouldn't you agree?

SpiderMan

Deeman3
01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Neither Ted nor Laura deserves to be elected. Wouldn't you agree? <font color="blue"> and...Laura doesn't hold herself up as a moral example to potential Supreme Court nominees. </font color>