PDA

View Full Version : My 1st place match winning shot

Billy_Bob
01-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I'll pat myself on the back, but more importantly, I'll share which things I did to get to where I could make this shot and thus win 1st place in a local tournament.

The game was 8-ball and I was hill/hill with an opponent who liked to block my pocket at the last minute. I was solids and had 3 balls left, I examined the blocked pocket, then ran the first two balls, and left myself with a long shot at the 1 ball which was blocked (about all I could do with what I was left).

I shot a very hard left draw shot with tons of follow through. Then made my 1 ball into the opposite corner, then the cue ball hit the rail and went to the opposite rail, to come back and break up the 8 and the stripes, then I had an easy shot on the 8 up to corner pocket "A". (Scooted over the 8 and moved the 11 out of the way.)

Here is the shot...
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AF4Z1%HR2S9%JD9Z2%KP4U0%Ph1Y2%Qq3Y6%UQ4R6%VL6C7%W H0Z7%Xg0Y4
%YQ2S9%ZQ5S6%[D2D5%\F4Y0%]L1D6%^G1[2%eA7b1
)END

I was able to shoot this shot by reading the book 99 critical shots and practicing the shots in the book. So by doing this, I knew that the 1 ball was "wired" to go into the opposite corner pocket. This part was easy.

And I knew where the cue ball would go after the shot from watching Dr. Dave's DVD. I didn't know exactly where the cue ball would go (not that good yet), but at least knew if I shot with draw, the CB would come back, and with left, it would send the CB back in the direction of the 8 ball and hopefully give me a shot on the 8 or break something out. And then mix a little luck along with all of that. But at least I knew how to send the CB back in that direction.

And I was able to shoot a long shot with english accurately thanks to my Predator 314 shaft.

So each of these are things I have been learning and practicing for several years. It is fun when everything comes together and I am sometimes able to make a shot like this.

wolfdancer
01-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Congratulations on winning the tournament......and that is quite the shot.
Not having a super stroke myself, I'd have had to shoot easier, and played safe.
You got more out of Ray Martin's book then I ever did....never could get some of those shots to work.
anyway....good imagination, seeing the shot, and good stroke making the shot.

Deeman3
01-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Nice one Billy Bob. I'm with Wolfdancer, I would have ducked but it's nice to see brave shots rewarded.

Deeman

bluey2king
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Congratulations..!!!
I know you have put in the work!!
I'll bet you just Blew away your opponet with that shot!!
Thanks for sharing Billy Bob

Billy_Bob
01-25-2006, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr>I'll bet you just Blew away your opponet with that shot!!<hr /></blockquote>

I sure did, especially since he knew he "had me" by blocking the pocket the way he did. And this is a guy who has played in master tournaments, so you don't miss period. Safeties don't stop him and blocking his pockets does not work either. It was do or die.

And I think he was counting on me messing up that shot. But he will not be so nice next time. It will be a long time before I can beat him again. He will run out and not leave me a shot next time.

And I have noticed this with the better players. They will be nice in tournaments and give you a few shots, especially when they have one of your balls blocked and know you can't run out. But beat them once, and there are no more chances after that!

PoolSharkAllen
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
And this is a guy who has played in master tournaments, so you don't miss period. Safeties don't stop him and blocking his pockets does not work either. It was do or die.
---------------------

Hey Billy Bob. Congrats on winning the game in spectacular fashion. I would have played a safety by softly hitting the 1 into the 10, leaving the cue ball near the rail. Your opponent would then have a difficult kick shot after which you can probably run out. Your "master" opponent can be beaten with well-played safeties.

Eric.
01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr>

Hey Billy Bob. Congrats on winning the game in spectacular fashion. I would have played a safety by softly hitting the 1 into the 10, leaving the cue ball near the rail. Your opponent would then have a difficult kick shot after which you can probably run out. Your "master" opponent can be beaten with well-played safeties. <hr /></blockquote>

I probably would have played a safe too.

I prefer:

START(
%AF4Z1%HR2S9%JD9Z2%KP4U0%Ph1Y2%Qq3Y6%UQ3E1%VC5U8%W H2Y3%Xg0Y4
%YQ2S9%ZQ5S6%[E0G1%\F4Y0%][6J7%^S3D4%eC2`5
)END

Combo the 10 ball in with a high right CB and try to get the CB behind the 8 ball. If you hit it decent, the 1 ball should go towards the opposite pocket, blocking that pocket for the kick that the opponent will have. While getting the 1 ball near the corner pocket is good, the focus is on getting the CB behind the 8 ball as good as possible.

Eric

SpiderMan
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice out, Billy-Bob.

Notice that, not only did your opponent have you blocked, but he was also blocked with no easy runout. Whenever this happens, and your ball is the one "wired" for a pocket, it's often fine strategy to avoid the breakout and save this shot for late (or last).

SpiderMan

Billy_Bob
01-27-2006, 11:03 AM
I did not mention or draw on my diagram that my opponent had two of his balls left on the table in addition to his blocking ball. I forget exactly where they were, but with this guy, I could have left the CB anywhere and he could have shot in one of his balls and got good position for a runout or played a nasty safety.

He was just waiting for me to mess up that blocked pocket shot and then he would have been able to use his other balls to get position for a runout. Although this time I got lucky! (He never leaves just one of his balls on the table...)

Eric.
01-27-2006, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I did not mention or draw on my diagram that my opponent had two of his balls left on the table in addition to his blocking ball. I forget exactly where they were, but with this guy, I could have left the CB anywhere and he could have shot in one of his balls and got good position for a runout or played a nasty safety.

He was just waiting for me to mess up that blocked pocket shot and then he would have been able to use his other balls to get position for a runout. Although this time I got lucky! (He never leaves just one of his balls on the table...)
<hr /></blockquote>

In that case, it's a much different game then the one you diagrammed.

IMHO, you should have never ran your balls down to the last shot you left yourself. If the 1 ball is tied up like that, running your other balls off and leaving that is the equivalent of the Hail Mary in Football. More times than not, you will probably lose from that position.

Again, IMHO.

Eric

wolfdancer
01-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Eric, your "Hail Mary" remark, reminded me of the best college football game I ever saw
1984..The Orange Bowl
Boston College Vs Miami Hurricanes
web page (http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/sports/year_in_sports/11.23.html)

Same site, from 1984 has Harvard's late 14 point rally to tie Yale for the Ivy League championship, as a runner up for best sports story. The bit of trivia here is that Yale's QB Brian Dowling is the famous BD of Doonesbury fame.
The Harvard newspaper sports page read Harvard wins 29/29
I think the same folks that wrote that counted the votes in Fla a few years back

Eric.
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Eric, your "Hail Mary" remark, reminded me of the best college football game I ever saw
1984..The Orange Bowl
Boston College Vs Miami Hurricanes
<hr /></blockquote>

I remember the game and I know the players(I played for Rutgers from '81 to '84). Awesome finish.

Eric &gt;Flutie flakes?!

wolfdancer
01-30-2006, 02:57 PM
While i think BB pulled off a great shot....I can see 47 things that could have gone wrong, including knocking the 8 ball into the side pocket.
I wouldn't have played that shot, even if Ray Martin and Dr. Dave were coaching me on the sidelines.

wolfdancer
01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Eric, here's another good article, reliving that game
web page (http://www.bcheights.com/media/paper144/news/2004/11/22/Sports/Sports.Columntwenty.Years.Later-812973.shtml?)
"While most people call it flutie's miracle pass, Gerald Phelan's mom calls it Phelan's catch.
As a former "Scarlet Knight", I guess your "favorite game" would be:
Rutgers University and its neighbor, Princeton, played the first game of intercollegiate football on Nov. 6, 1869, on a plot of ground where the present-day Rutgers gymnasium now stands in New Brunswick, N.J. Rutgers won that first game, 6-4.

Drop1
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Hell of a shot. My strategy would have been to scratch,and go practice my draw /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
01-31-2006, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Eric, here's another good article, reliving that game
web page (http://www.bcheights.com/media/paper144/news/2004/11/22/Sports/Sports.Columntwenty.Years.Later-812973.shtml?)
"While most people call it flutie's miracle pass, Gerald Phelan's mom calls it Phelan's catch.
As a former "Scarlet Knight", I guess your "favorite game" would be:
Rutgers University and its neighbor, Princeton, played the first game of intercollegiate football on Nov. 6, 1869, on a plot of ground where the present-day Rutgers gymnasium now stands in New Brunswick, N.J. Rutgers won that first game, 6-4.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the memories, Wolf.

We had some great, great players in the Big East, during those years (Flutie@BC, J.Kelly@Miami, D. Marino@Pitt, Shane Conlin@Penn State). Unfortunately, they were all on the OTHER sidelines /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric &gt;go deep