PDA

View Full Version : Question Pool table wood finish

FrankW
01-25-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm helping a friend build his own table and the question is,what type of finish whould hold up better.A water based finish or oil based finish.I've been told the oil based finishes hold up better what do you think.

Brian in VA
01-26-2006, 06:45 AM
While I think that water based finishes have greatly improved in wearability, the combination of long wear and better looks would steer me toward the oil based finish. My recommendation would be General Finishes Oil/Varnish in a satin finish. Easy to use, easy to renew and wears very well.

No affiliation with the company, just a woodworker who really likes this finish.

Brian in VA

ceebee
01-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I used a TONGUE OIL finish on my rosewood rails, because of the abuse the rails take. When a ball is popped up on the rail, it never leaves that craked finish.

An application once in while keeps the rosewood rails looking grand.

Brian in VA
01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
The oil that ceebee refers to is found in the General Finishes product I suggested. It's tung oil and varnish. This oil comes from the tung nut.

Brian in VA - prefers to use his tongue oil for other things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
01-27-2006, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Brian in VA - prefers to use his tongue oil for other things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif