PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Repair Cues

SpiderMan
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Suppose a customer drops off a shaft for you to re-tip, and you promise it back to him the next day. After he is gone, you notice that the joint collar is loose. Would you:

1. Call him and tell him he needs an additional repair.
2. Repair the collar and install the tip, saying nothing about the collar.
3. Something other than 1 or 2.

What would you do, and why? If you could not reach him by phone, would this affect your decision?

BTW, I chose #2 for the following reasons: 1) If I was going to get the cue back to him on time, the work had to be done immediately 2) Everyone knows a story of repair bait-and-switch, where the job mushrooms after you think you have a quote, such as the brake-pad replacement that suddenly requires new calipers. I didn't want anyone to think I might be such a shyster 3) I probably won't mention the collar when he picks up the shaft today - why invite him to question the integrity of his cue, which might affect his mental game? Now what he'll notice is how much more solid his cue feels, with a SpiderMan tip installed.

SpiderMan

Voodoo Daddy
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Does the repair take a small amount of time? Is this a good customer? Is this your only source of income? Could you sleep knowing you saw the problem and didnt fix it...cost or not?

I would fix it and tell him what I did. A smart barowner will buy a drink for steady customer, thats one of the reasons they frequent that bar...know what I'm sayin'?

Bassn7
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I have this exact situation happen all the time. I have just fixed the collar and then told them it was done. For the future though, I always do a thorough inspection of the equipment WITH the customer so that most flaws can be identified prior to them leaving there cue/shaft with me.

BLACKHEART
01-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I have been doing this a very long time & I have had this happen to me. If you give it back to the player with the loose collar, you might be accused of breaking it, while it's in your posession. I twist the ferrule(to see if it's loose), roll it & check the collar BEFORE the customer leaves. I was once accused of warping a shaft, when I put on a tip. That sounds pretty stupid, but the big mouth customer told everybody in the state, that I ruined his stick. If I were you, I wouldn't touch it, until I called him & told him the problem. Then charge him for all of the repairs he asks for. I try to be as professional as I can...JER

cueball1950
01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
If it was me doing the repair and if it did not take that long to take it off and smoth it out and reglue it i would just take a couple of extra minutes and do it. Then i would let the customerknow when he picked it up and if he asked how much more he owed me i would just say what ever you want to give. this way you create a good relationship with your customers and if he is happy he will tell his friends that will in turn come to you for repairs. we do it all the time. how many people on here have asked for repair refrences and sent people to who you were satisfied with........mike

SpiderMan
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I have been doing this a very long time &amp; I have had this happen to me. If you give it back to the player with the loose collar, you might be accused of breaking it, while it's in your posession. I twist the ferrule(to see if it's loose), roll it &amp; check the collar BEFORE the customer leaves. I was once accused of warping a shaft, when I put on a tip. That sounds pretty stupid, but the big mouth customer told everybody in the state, that I ruined his stick. If I were you, I wouldn't touch it, until I called him &amp; told him the problem. Then charge him for all of the repairs he asks for. I try to be as professional as I can...JER <hr /></blockquote>

All points well taken. Normally I check them out pretty closely. Since I meet my customers at poolrooms (I work out of the garage and don't invite onlookers), I even carry an eye loupe in my case to make sure a deep ferrule scratch isn't actually a crack. But I missed one this time, so I just fixed it and chalked it up to experience. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SpiderMan