PDA

View Full Version : Draw to one side

Drop1
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm working on drawing the ball straight back,as an exersize. I hit an object ball,with draw and want the cue ball to come back to the rail,and come out to meet the returning object ball. What I'm getting is a cue ball that goes to the right,when I draw,and not straight back to the rail. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman3
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
You may be aligned wrong, thinking you are aiming straight when you are actually slightly to the right. You could be striking the cue ball at slightly off bottom dead center like at 5:28 or 5:29 on a clock dial. You might be hitting the ball so hard to induce the draw that you are not following straight through. You may be twisting your wrist at the last second, you may be jumping up on yor shot decreasing your accuracy, You may live in a parallel universe where the feat you are trying is not possible with consistency. JK

Deeman

Drop1
01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Many good points. Iam loosing my vision in my left eye,almost gone,and I will check that wrist. My domonant eye is good. Many thanks.

cushioncrawler
01-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I am left-eye-dominant, & i used to suffer the same thing, ie the QB drew back a bit to the ryht, with left-hand-spin, & the QB went further ryht after hitting the kushion. I devoted 5 minutes per day to praktising drawz -- which helped heaps.

I woz aiming 1-2mm left of center on the QB without realizing it. At short range, the QB squirted ryht, & hit the OB a bit ryht of center. At medium range, the QB kontakted the OB dead center (after swerving). At long range, the QB kontakted the OB left-of-center (after swerving a lot). Just for a laugh, here iz a list of thingz that i hav tryd over the yearz -- koz i woz allwayz happy to try a new idea -- most worked for at least 7 dayz.

1...After aiming, moov the qtip 1mm-2mm ryht, then fire az if the OB iz sitting on the new line.
2...Uze a bent cue, with the bend to the ryht.
3...Uze a bent cue, with the bend to the left (but ryht iz best).
4...Put a flat edge on a part of the qtip -- uze the cue such that the flat bit iz horizontal, facing up -- the flat bit kontakts the ball. Aktually, holding the flat bit a little off horizontal (left, or ryht) will be better for u.
5...Get rid of all of yor cuez having parallel taperz -- then get a cue with a vicious taper -- then uze a vee bridge, holding the left side of the vee az vertikal az u kan (here the cue & qtip will be repelled from the left side on the shot).
6...During the waggle (& shot), keep pressure on the cue, pushing the cue hard left, ie against the left side of yor loop (or vee) -- this will enhance (5). It iz eezy to get the horizontal torq needed here, even if u are fond of a loose 2-finger grip of the butt.
7...Forget about finding a dream style that givz u a perfikt rezult for all shots (& all drawz) at all speedz. Just find a style(z) that works.
8...Uze a striped pool ball, with the stripe vertikal, to better see whether u get sidespin.
9...Dont uze a striped pool ball, koz this showz u where the center of the QB iz, hence it duznt proov anything.
10...Pauze at the end of yor backswing.
11...Uze the longest follow throo that u kan.
12...Uze zero follow throo (at least thats the feeling).
13...If u uze glassez, keep the lenz for yor weak eye az kleen az u kan -- smudge some body oilz on the other lenz.
14...Aim etc uzing the left side of the cue for yor line, instead of the centerline of the cue (for drastik kasez, or for very fast speed).
15 to 100...The uzual varyationz in stance & grip & bridge etc etc.

ceebee
01-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Drop 1, maybe you should invest $8 in one of Joe Tucker's 3rd Eye Trainer. It is made for the explicit purpose of correct alignment of the eye to the shot.

The 3rd Trainer is a clever little gadget that is clipped onto your cue & used to align your cue STRAIGHT at a target.

Cornerman
01-27-2006, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> ryht after hitting the kushion. I devoted 5 minutes per day to praktising drawz -- which helped heaps. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know if you're simply trying to be cute, but I find it nearly impossible to read your posts.

FWIW,

Fred

dr_dave
01-27-2006, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> ryht after hitting the kushion. I devoted 5 minutes per day to praktising drawz -- which helped heaps. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't know if you're simply trying to be cute, but I find it nearly impossible to read your posts.

FWIW,

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
I have to agree with Fred on this one. It takes a lot of extra brain power to read your weird phonetic spelling (and I'd rather use my limited brain power on other things). You often have great ideas and comments to contribute, but I find myself being distracted too much by the writing.

Regards,
Dave

Billy_Bob
01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Yes, if you want us to read your posts, spell your words correctly like everybody else does. This is called communicating! (I bypass these posts now, but I think you have some good stuff to say and I would enjoy reading what you have to say...)

Billy_Bob
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Practice drawing with slight cuts to the left then right.

Then align cue ball and object ball straight between the side pockets. Practice shooting the object ball into the side pocket and drawing the cue ball back into the other side pocket. The balls need to be aligned exactly straight and you need to hit the object ball dead center.

This stuff is frustrating at first, and it may take a few months (years) of daily practice to get these things down, but I notice you are persistent and keep working on this. So good for you!

This will really pay off in the future. It will give you a big advantage to understand how draw shots work, where the CB will go after a draw shot, and be able to draw back a specific distance.

Scott Lee
01-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Drop 1...The simple answer, is that you are likely cheating the pocket, without realizing it. That would cause the CB to draw back at an angle, rather than straight back. One way to check this is to cover up a small portion of the pocket with a couple of OB's, so that you must hit directly in the center of the pocket. There are also gadgets you can buy that do that same thing. Something else to check, in the vein of your delivery of the cuestick...put a piece of chalk on the seam of the cloth and the top of the rail. Shoot the chalk off the rail (keeping your cuestick parallel with the seam of the cloth on top of the cushion); finish the stroke to a natural followthrough position, and see if your cuestick is still aligned with the seam. If it is off to one side or the other, you have issues with being able to deliver the cuestick in a straight line, which may be the result of several factors, many of which were mentioned by Deeman. Once you diagnose which one or ones are the problem, you should be able to repair the flaws.

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Check your back hand after you've shot the shot. Make sure your knuckles haven't rolled under the cue stick. Happens a lot when people try to draw the ball.

Fran

cushioncrawler
01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
My apologies to all -- i practised semi-phonetic spelling for 5 minutes per day before i got it right -- now i will have to go back to my old stance etc -- it won't be eezy (oops), see what i mean. Anyhow, the (z) &amp; (k) on my keyboard were wearing out, but the (s) &amp; (c) are near new.

jtlabs
01-27-2006, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> My apologies to all -- i practised semi-phonetic spelling for 5 minutes per day before i got it right -- now i will have to go back to my old stance etc -- it won't be eezy (oops), see what i mean. Anyhow, the (z) &amp; (k) on my keyboard were wearing out, but the (s) &amp; (c) are near new. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, just to help you get back on track don't be afraid to download google tool bar. http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en and click it to check on your spelling on anything you type in a Web browser:).

Regards,
Jacin Labrador

Drop1
01-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Well,guess where I found my knuckles.....under the cue,where you said they might be. Now that I have knuckles under the cue,what? Thanks Fran,and the others that took the time with me. My game is improving every week.

Fran Crimi
01-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Aha! Just as I suspected.

Okay, here's what to do:

Get into your shooting stance and take a look back at your knuckles. Where are they on the cue? They should be along the side of it. If they are, but you find that they're under the cue in your finishing position, that means that you're rolling your back hand as you're stroking.

Keep your knuckles in the same place all through the stroke and you'll stroke straight.

Fran

Drop1
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Fran, I will start working on those knuckles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Thanks Fran, I will start working on those knuckles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Yes, that Neanderthal knuckle drop has killed many fine player....jk I see many very good players (Alex, Corey) twirl the cue while addrssing the ball. It would seem very distracting to me but it sure does not hurt them. That being said, I know they keep the knuckles dead calm when they stroke. </font color>

Deeman