PDA

View Full Version : Deeman of my dreams

wolfdancer
01-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Dee, I guess from reading all the WalMart shopping, anti American worker threads on here, plus the 3, or was it 4, gin & tonics, I had last nite?......I had this dream....now, hope you can follow this, cause you was having a hard time seperating facts from fiction, in the New Islamic State of Texas thread,an that surprised me, cause I figgered you was jes below genious , at the DeeMensa level, maybe

So my dream, was about what I thought your dream would be.....that's a little confusing, and you might want to pause here, and reread the last line before continuing.
So, I'm dreaming that you're dreaming about your employees coming to work an hour early for the company mandated calisthenics program, and employee affirmations of company goals...which you lead.
In my dream you are speaking about the new prodution increases, and worker reductions, which have enabled the company to achieve record profits, and reward management with record bonuses...as the workers cheer, the assembly line goes into motion.
A little later after a mechanical failure has delayed production, the workers applaud as you speed up the line to meet production standards.
I woke up with both a sweat & chills, momentarily thinking it was back in the 60's, and I was working on the line at Ford, in Lorain,Ohio
The job was originally, probably not too bad, until some time/motion expert got finished with it.
i had to jackplug the interior light wires under the dashboard, release the emergency brake cable, and as i raced by to the next car, connect the headlights. I believe we had
a little over a minute to do this.....failure to complete this in the alloted time meant that some neanderthal would be using a power drill between your legs, installing the doorstep trim, and another moron, would be trying to place the front seat in, on top of where you (I) was laying.
The jackplugs required pushing with your thumb, to the bone and beyond, new cable is not smooth, and the frays nicked your skin, rubber overlapping the plug holes, a design flaw, made connecting the headlights another brute strength chore.
After 2 days, my thumbs were black and blue sore,the pain was constant, my hands were full of thin cuts, my body ached from the awkward positions I had to contort my body in to do the interior wiring......
Well, two days was enough....I was ready to reenlist, maybe not quite, but I got on the next Greyhound bus leaving Lorain.....here's a tip: if you ever have to leave a place, in the worst way....I can't think of anything worse then a Greyhound Bus. Prisons inmates are more meeting of societal standards, then the avg Greyhound passenger. Back to the assembly line....
I often wondered how people indured that monotonous regimen long enough to retire? I'm sure at some point the mind has to atrophy, the left brain which thinks abstract thoughts, and seeks pleasure and fulfillment, would have to shut down.
And these intolerable working conditions were under a union negotiated labor contract....they looked the other way when the line was sped up, to make up for down time.
Today, unionism is dead, production is up, but since the American worker can't survive on the wages paid in India, China, the jobs are outsourced, the plants closed down.
It's a f*****g nightmare....so to speak.
Anyway....please stay out of my REM state, which is normally a "blue state"....although it won't be long, under some future version of the Patriot Act....that our bedrooms will be monitored, and anti/multi national corporation, thoughts like these will be dealt with

Deeman3
01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Wolfdancer,

You honor me with your dream sequence....I am humbled that it matches my own so closely.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dee, I guess from reading all the WalMart shopping, anti American worker threads on here, plus the 3, or was it 4, gin &amp; tonics, I had last nite?......I had this dream....now, hope you can follow this, cause you was having a hard time seperating facts from fiction, in the New Islamic State of Texas thread,an that surprised me, cause I figgered you was jes below genious , at the DeeMensa level, maybe

So my dream, was about what I thought your dream would be.....that's a little confusing, and you might want to pause here, and reread the last line before continuing.
So, I'm dreaming that you're dreaming about your employees coming to work an hour early for the company mandated calisthenics program, and employee affirmations of company goals...which you lead. <font color="blue"> You'd be very surprised at the quality of worker we do have these days. Properly given a safe and good working environment, they do perform better than ever. </font color>
In my dream you are speaking about the new prodution increases, and worker reductions, which have enabled the company to achieve record profits, and reward management with record bonuses...as the workers cheer, the assembly line goes into motion. <font color="blue"> These days, we empower the workers to make many more decisions about their jobs, improvements and working conditions than in the past. Many are more motivated then even the supervisors as understand they are the important people in the process. </font color>
A little later after a mechanical failure has delayed production, the workers applaud as you speed up the line to meet production standards. <font color="blue"> Actually, they would probably tell me to get out of their way so they can fix the problem. </font color>
I woke up with both a sweat &amp; chills, momentarily thinking it was back in the 60's, and I was working on the line at Ford, in Lorain,Ohio <font color="blue"> Been there done that...You would not recognise the way we work now. </font color>
The job was originally, probably not too bad, until some time/motion expert got finished with it. <font color="blue"> We really don't use those guys much any more. The workers know how to set and even improve standards much better than an engineer.</font color>
i had to jackplug the interior light wires under the dashboard, release the emergency brake cable, and as i raced by to the next car, connect the headlights. I believe we had
a little over a minute to do this.....failure to complete this in the alloted time meant that some neanderthal would be using a power drill between your legs, installing the doorstep trim, and another moron, would be trying to place the front seat in, on top of where you (I) was laying. <font color="blue"> O.K. in truth, that still happens... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>
The jackplugs required pushing with your thumb, to the bone and beyond, new cable is not smooth, and the frays nicked your skin, rubber overlapping the plug holes, a design flaw, made connecting the headlights another brute strength chore. <font color="blue"> We now have something called ergonomics, makes it easier and safer. </font color>
After 2 days, my thumbs were black and blue sore,the pain was constant, my hands were full of thin cuts, my body ached from the awkward positions I had to contort my body in to do the interior wiring...... <font color="blue"> You're getting me hot...JK </font color>
Well, two days was enough....I was ready to reenlist, maybe not quite, but I got on the next Greyhound bus leaving Lorain.....here's a tip: if you ever have to leave a place, in the worst way....I can't think of anything worse then a Greyhound Bus. Prisons inmates are more meeting of societal standards, then the avg Greyhound passenger. Back to the assembly line....
I often wondered how people indured that monotonous regimen long enough to retire? I'm sure at some point the mind has to atrophy, the left brain which thinks abstract thoughts, and seeks pleasure and fulfillment, would have to shut down. <font color="blue"> It was brutal and is still not perfect but employees have chances to contribute, change jobs and have much more ownership now, at least in my plants. </font color>
And these intolerable working conditions were under a union negotiated labor contract....they looked the other way when the line was sped up, to make up for down time.
Today, unionism is dead, production is up, but since the American worker can't survive on the wages paid in India, China, the jobs are outsourced, the plants closed down.
It's a f*****g nightmare....so to speak. <font color="blue">We don't pay like GM but we won't be laying anyone off for a while either. Good benefits, great workers and a product to be prooud of. Automobile makin in Alabama, who a thunk it? </font color>
Anyway....please stay out of my REM state, which is normally a "blue state"....although it won't be long, under some future version of the Patriot Act....that our bedrooms will be monitored, and anti/multi national corporation, thoughts like these will be dealt with

<font color="blue"> Saving a special place in the office for Wolfdancer....

Deeman </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Dee, I'm glad that you have such a good sense of humor....gladder still, to hear that working conditions have improved.
It's not just the tedium of auto asembly lines I'm allergic to..... I was hired at a lawnmower factory once, after being tested at the State employment office...we actually had to decide where to put the round pegs.....the round holes, or?
Anyways, I must have scored reel high, 'cause I got hired, and assigned to do the highly skilled, dextrous, task of opening boxes which contained four Briggs &amp; Stratten engines, then opening the ind boxes, removing the engine, and placing it on the line. At around 11 am on my first day, I got me a box of engines, turned to walk them over to their destination area, and noticed everyone was leaving the building. I hadn't heard any air raid sirens, so I asked one of the other skilled employees, what was up. It was a wildcat strike....I walked out too....and never went back.
Couple of years later, I got my dream job, me working as a setup/maintenance mechanic, the only guy in a room with about 80 women. We made specialty lights for GE, miner's lights, Aircraft landing lights, etc.
I had a tool box, a stool, and a good ear for listening to the stories. After awhile, except for the one gal I was dating, I think they accepted me as one of the gals. I heard all the woes about money, kids, sex (men are such cads).
In the back of the room was a machine that did light bulbs, the kind you use to avoid bumping into walls in the dark. In the few years they had the machine, only this one black lady could keep up with the damn thing.....she was poetry in motion......one hand feeding the insatiable beast with glass globes, the other removing the sealed lights.....and she could do this nonstop for hours at a time.
.......they had called the guy in the next room down to the main office....gave him a pin for 20 yrs of loyal service, and he was back in 10 minutes.....It was something to look forward to, but another 19 yrs away.....I heard the call of the high seas, and left
I still have one memory of my career at Ford...it was the way they fitted the doors. Two guys that could have passed for caucasian sumo Wrestlers, beat the doors into submission with rubber mallets.....hope they have something a little more ergonomic by now

Chopstick
01-27-2006, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
Anyway....please stay out of my REM state, which is normally a "blue state"....although it won't be long,
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Free Wolfdancer from the Blue State! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
01-27-2006, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dee, I'm glad that you have such a good sense of humor....gladder still, to hear that working conditions have improved.
It's not just the tedium of auto asembly lines I'm allergic to..... I was hired at a lawnmower factory once, after being tested at the State employment office...we actually had to decide where to put the round pegs.....the round holes, or?
Anyways, I must have scored reel high, 'cause I got hired, and assigned to do the highly skilled, dextrous, task of opening boxes which contained four Briggs &amp; Stratten engines, then opening the ind boxes, removing the engine, and placing it on the line. At around 11 am on my first day, I got me a box of engines, turned to walk them over to their destination area, and noticed everyone was leaving the building. I hadn't heard any air raid sirens, so I asked one of the other skilled employees, what was up. It was a wildcat strike....I walked out too....and never went back. <font color="blue">People don't believe this but I was, in about 1971, the youngest Union President in the U.S. I guess I may have been a tad more liberal back then. </font color>
Couple of years later, I got my dream job, me working as a setup/maintenance mechanic, the only guy in a room with about 80 women. We made specialty lights for GE, miner's lights, Aircraft landing lights, etc.
I had a tool box, a stool, and a good ear for listening to the stories. After awhile, except for the one gal I was dating, I think they accepted me as one of the gals. I heard all the woes about money, kids, sex (men are such cads). <font color="blue"> I had one brief stint in my career working with an almost exclusive group of women but honestly, I could not believe the language, the in-fighting, the jealousy within that group. I mostly stayed out of their beds as I heard all the stories of what they did to other men....Real Black Widows!!!! </font color>
In the back of the room was a machine that did light bulbs, the kind you use to avoid bumping into walls in the dark. In the few years they had the machine, only this one black lady could keep up with the damn thing.....she was poetry in motion......one hand feeding the insatiable beast with glass globes, the other removing the sealed lights.....and she could do this nonstop for hours at a time. <font color="blue"> There always seems to be people like this. I used to have a black preacher who worked on a Die Cast Machine. The dirtist job in creation. He was the only one who could get production, wore white suit! and never got a smudge on him! </font color>
.......they had called the guy in the next room down to the main office....gave him a pin for 20 yrs of loyal service, and he was back in 10 minutes.....It was something to look forward to, but another 19 yrs away.....I heard the call of the high seas, and left
I still have one memory of my career at Ford...it was the way they fitted the doors. Two guys that could have passed for caucasian sumo Wrestlers, beat the doors into submission with rubber mallets.....hope they have something a little more ergonomic by now <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Unfortunately, this is not much better even now. Some processes seem to suck, forever....

Glad you escaped the auto industry. I guess I will be here til I keel over. I love the challenges and the products but it's the people that keep me going. You'd be surprised at how much difference a plant like mine makes to a community where there were no jobs and little opportunity for the young. If done right, it's very rewarding. I'll keep a spot on the plant tour open for you and promise I won't make you set any doors. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

Deeman