PDA

View Full Version : AM I NUTS

dagnabit
01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi I Am new here and I would like to ask a question. I have played pool once in the last 25 years. Before that I played almost every day. I started playing when I was 10 or 11 years old when an older kid, probably 12 or 13, and I would ride the bus in Beaumont TX to the YMCA by ourselves to shoot pool. After that My parents bought a house with a game room and bought a table. After that I owned a bar with three tables and played all the time but since I sold the bar and moved to the country I have not played except that one time.
Well the other day I went to the local Olhausen dealer and ordered a table, it is an 8'pro Southern. I'm not having buyers remorse but am wondering if it was a smart move?

Drop1
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Probably: What you going to do with the table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackem
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Probably: What you going to do with the table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, are you going to start playing again or just use it for folding laundry?? Enjoy your new table and also your new found love for the game which will follow! We are all nuts anyway. What better way to alliviate midlife crisis!

Drop1
01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I couldn't have said it better /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dagnabit
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
No I won't be folding or ironing or even stacking laundry on it. I just hope my game comes back to me.

Drop1
01-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Your game will come back to you,with practice,and a few friends to enjoy the table. I was pretty much in the same situation. I dug out my old cues,and headed for a billiard parlor. Most of the people were younger,and few wanted to play me,but after I spent the time to be a fair player,they swung around,and I was playing in a leauge. I think buying the table is a great idea. [They gave me the nick name Sniper]

Billy
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dagnabit:</font><hr> No I won't be folding or ironing or even stacking laundry on it. I just hope my game comes back to me. <hr /></blockquote>

of course it will, just use it for all the right purposes

after all, it has to be the absolute best table for folding laundry

large, flat, waist high, while ever so conveniently accommodating other large items at a blink of the eye

welcome back, I think you'll find it just as intriquing now as you did as a kid

jmo

Rich R.
01-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Your not the only one on this message board, that has had a long vacation from pool. I didn't play for more than 25 years and there are others in the same situation.
Obviously, there is something that keeps drawing you back to playing pool, even after a long break. Have fun with your new table, practicing, playing with family and friends and maybe look into joining one of the local leagues.
Just enjoy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
01-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Good Luck there dagnabit...

I played for about 25 years, then quit because of a certain locale I ended up in. Playing Pool in Abilene, Texas, in the 80's was not the best. I also worked long hours for BOEING, so staying up all night was not for me.

I returned to the game accidentally, not on purpose. The local Moose club which I had joined, sent me an invitation to play in a Pool Tournament. The rest of the story is history.

Things have changed a great deal in POOL. You don't have learn the game through osmosis anymore, there are lots of books, videos &amp; personal instuctors to assist you in getting your game back. I have about 50 books &amp; 100 videos. I've had 2 pool tables in 6 years. I'll have another pool table very quickly.

Have some fun, shoot some pool with your family &amp; friends. Join a league &amp; play in some local tournaments. You'll use that new pool Table of yours to practice on...