PDA

View Full Version : ladder bracket

snook
01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
can anybody give me a good description on how the ladder bracket works?

Scott Lee
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
snook...Chris's Billiards on Milwaukee has a ladder bracket, that they use for 3-cushion matches. They could probably give you more information. But I think it works this way. You establish a list of players (possibly with some sort of hierarchy, based on who thinks who plays better). Any player on the ladder can challenge another player. They arrange their own match time, and if the challanger beats the other player, the challenger moves up the ladder. When you beat the player on the top of the ladder, you move to the top. Someone else may know more about this than me.

Scott

jjinfla
01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I think that in that type of ladder there is a limitation of how many places above your place you can challenge. Usually one or two. If the lower player wins then they change places in the ladder.

A normal ladder would be where everyone in the ladder plays every other player and the win lost average determines your position. At the end of the season the person in 1st place, and maybe 2nd, move to the next higher ladder.
There would be ladders for D, C, B, A, AA, Semi-Pro.

Sure would be nice if pool was run this way. Then everyone would know their skill level.

Jake

snook
01-29-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks for the replies...

i guess i understand the general concept of the ladder bracket but my question is this...

how often can you challenge somebody above you? some of the better players in my college dorm are wanting to get some form of a tourney together that doesnt rely on regular brackets so that other guys get to play more than two games. we just werent sure how often you could challenge and what happens if you wanted to decline a challenge.

jjinfla
01-30-2006, 04:58 AM
If you are setting up the ladder then you will also have to write up the rules.

If a person is not scheduled to play a game then he is not allowed to refuse to play a challenger. He would have to forfeit.

Once challenged they should play within a week. And neither can play anyone else until that match is completed.

But if it is everyone in a dorm then you can lower it from a week to whatever is comfortable with your players.

Jake