PDA

View Full Version : Murray Californian opinions Please

rackem
01-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about Murray pool tables. I have an opportunity to purchase a 4 by 8 California model used for $1000 dollars or maybe less. Is this a decent table that will last? It seems to be in overall decent shape although it should probably be recoverd.
Also does anyone have any suggestions on what cloth to use? Should the cushions also be replaced? Are their cushions available that would make it play better.

rackem
01-28-2006, 03:12 AM
BUMP! Wow, has anybody got any advise or comments about this table.

Drop1
01-28-2006, 12:01 PM
If you saw the movie,"Color of Money", all those tables were Murray tables. I used to have my business very near their factory in Gardena Calif. Ted Murray used to bring his mother over to look around at decorator items. Now, how beat up is the table,how thick is the slate,what is the structure holding the slate,how are the rails attached,what are they made of,did you get under the table and look around,how is the table leveled? Go over to Figuora and ask the people at Murray these questions. As far as the cloth goes,ask the person putting on the cloth,what they recommend.Probably something in Simmons. $1000 for a used Murray might be alright.

Cueless Joey
01-28-2006, 01:05 PM
The top of the line Murray table played like crap.
That tells me a lot.
You couldn't give them away used here in Calif.
They were just terrible playing tables.
$1000? A few more bills, you can find a used 8-footer Brunswick or Olhausen or even World of Leisure.

rackem
01-29-2006, 02:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The top of the line Murray table played like crap.
That tells me a lot.
You couldn't give them away used here in Calif.
They were just terrible playing tables.
$1000? A few more bills, you can find a used 8-footer Brunswick or Olhausen or even World of Leisure. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for taking the time to respond. However, might you exspound on your opinion. Just what was wrong with the way the tables played. Was it the cloth? The rebound or height of the cushions? Did the balls not roll true did they hop off the cushions. What makes terible terrible. :confused
Was there really a problem or is your answer agenda related.

Cueless Joey
01-29-2006, 03:51 AM
The cushions rebounded funny.
The balls bounced when came off the corners at hard speeds, like in breaking.
The slates would not stay leveled.
This was the same table used in Color Of Money.
They were cheap for a commercial table though.
Only $2800 back in the mid 90's.
A billiard store owner told me he couldn't give them away used.