PDA

View Full Version : Kicking

mworkman
01-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Kicking is one thing I've never worked on. I don't think that I'm that bad at it, but, I'm sure with a little work on it, I could get better at it. Is there any practice games that you guys play to practice this skill? I usally just practice by myself, so it would have to be something that would hold my interest for a while. I would bet very few actually work on this skill.

recoveryjones
01-28-2006, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Kicking is one thing I've never worked on. I don't think that I'm that bad at it, but, I'm sure with a little work on it, I could get better at it. Is there any practice games that you guys play to practice this skill? I usally just practice by myself, so it would have to be something that would hold my interest for a while. I would bet very few actually work on this skill. <hr /></blockquote>

I have 4 DVD's that I highly recommend. DR. Cue's Foundation for Banking and kicking Volumes 1,2,3 and Grady Mathews-Only Kicks.Also if you go to AZ Billiards and do a search for Kicking Academy there are some great Kicking Systems charted out on pool table diagrams. Be sure to search out Kicking Academy Volumes 1-8 each posted seperatley. Also go to this sight for one ,two and three rail kick diagrams:
http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/kick.htm
Spend some time memorizing about 8 systems and you will be a kicking animal.
RJ

Billy_Bob
01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Do the "Bank stroke practice" on the following link daily. This will teach you "natural" bank/kick angles on the table using the diamonds.

Then once you know these angles, it is fairly easy to see a ball near one of these angles, then you will know at least "about" what angle you should be aiming.

And many times this is good enough to at least hit your ball and keep your opponent from getting ball in hand.

There are many advanced kicking systems on the internet and in books, but I would start with this for now.

Also note that tables are different! What works on one table will *not* work on another. On some tables you can aim dead center to make these natural kicks, but on others you may need to use a tip of inside english. So it is good to use the above as a warm-up before playing on a particular table.

Now when you get good at kick shots and make one during a game, be sure to say to you opponent... "I was born kicking!"

http://www.geocities.com/billybobnospam/basic_daily_practice.html

Scott Lee
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
mworkman...Regardless of whether you're kicking or banking, it is important to understand the relationship between stroke speed and results. You get a completely different effect when the CB or OB is rolling into the cushion vs. when it slides or skids into the cushion.

Scott Lee

heater451
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
If you want to do the brain-work, I'm sure the aformentioned videos and such will work--along with teaching you useful diamond using skills.

IMO, the easiest way to kick a ball is to use the same "mirror system" that can be used for banks. It makes single-rail kicks very easy, but multi-rail requires good imagination and spatial-relation abilities, because you have to "fold out" more imaginary tables in your head, in order to "see" the imagined/"mirrored" ball at which to aim.

Our very own Bob Jewett may have a PDF on the web, with an explanation, although I only found a reference from a banking article. Dr. Dave has a link on his site about mirror kicking, but I couldn't get it to open. I found this from billiardsatlas.com (http://www.billiardsatlas.com/noframes/mirror.html), but it doesn't show very much.

If I have time, I might throw some diagrams together. If you'd be interested, let me know.

=======================

mworkman
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow, looks like I've got about a years worth of work to do. I guess I better get started. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif