PDA

View Full Version : Longer cues: suggestion to cuemakers

06-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Standard length for cues is now 58 inches. I guess fifty-eight-inch cues are okay for dwarves, but full-sized players--those taller than about 6'4"--need longer sticks. For example, I'm a little over 6'5" and require 62-inch cues. When one orders a long cue from a production cuemaker, what one gets is a standard 29-inch butt and a long, skinny, limp-noodle shaft with poor playing characteristics. I'd like to suggest that the production cuemakers consider either (a) redesigning the taper of extended shafts or (b) going to screw-in extensions at the lower end of the butt.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-30-2002, 04:57 PM
There are butt extenders, (bridge eliminator option) that fits over the end of the butt..

I am sure that there is a custom cue maker that will accomidate your requirements for a longer butt..

WaltVA
06-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Have you tried the screw-in extensions that go between butt and shaft? A standard 2" extension (Cue-Longer) for almost any joint type is available from www.billiardsexpress for around $20, and it would seem fairly easy to get a longer one custom made if needed.

Walt in VA

07-01-2002, 07:23 AM
HI WERE I PLAY AT A FRIEND OF MINE JUST GOT A GILBERT CUE .THAT WAS 61'LONG AND HE LOVE IT AND IT PLAY'S SOLID LIKE MY 59' SO IF U WANT A CUE LOOK AT A CUSTOM CUE .CAUSE IT WAS MADE AT 30 1/2 ON THE BUT AND THE SHAFT.LOOK AT A CUSTOM U CAN'T GO WRONG..

Thierry Layani
07-01-2002, 09:36 AM
As a cuemaker, if I had to build a longer cue I would leave the shaft at 28" and build a longer butt. The reason is that a longer shaft (even 1") will be much more whippy.
That's what I'd ask for if I were to order a longer cue from a custom cuemaker.
Thierry Layani (has done it and will do it again)
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)