PDA

View Full Version : Had a linen wrap sprayed?

Leviathan
01-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Has anybody here had a finish applied over a linen wrap? If so, how did it work out? Thanks--AS

mworkman
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I sprayed clear poly over a cuetech cue. It's finish was kinda slippery not giving you much friction. After 4-5 coats of clear poly it felt almost like a leather wrap, very nice feel. I would imagine it would work over a wrap, allthough I'm afraid it might start to flake off over time. I would try it on a cheaper one first to see if you like how it feels. It will definately give you more friction, so you can use a looser grip.

Deeman3
01-28-2006, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Has anybody here had a finish applied over a linen wrap? If so, how did it work out? Thanks--AS <hr /></blockquote>

That was always one of the drawbacks to me of a Meucci cue. The coated linen wrap was nice to keep the wrap claen but you gave up the very purpose of having a wrap. The spray on coating makes the wrap slick.

Deeman

Fran Crimi
01-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I used a Meucci back in the '80s and found it to be quite the opposite. The cue slid less in my hand with the sprayed wrap.

Also, I'd be careful about just spraying the wrap. It seems to me that spraying the entire butt of the cue would be more consistent rather than just spraying the wrap. I'm not sure how it would hold up over time. Also, different products yield different amounts of tackiness. You have to know what you're working with and what yields what.

But if the reason for wanting to spray a wrap is just to get a bit more tackiness, then there are several types of rubber covers that the 3C players use that do the job. Some are more tacky than others. I use one on my break cue and I like it a lot.

Fran

BLACKHEART
01-28-2006, 02:46 PM
The way it's usually done is to clean the linen &amp; then give it a couple of coats with elmers glue. That fills in all of the low spots, then clear coat over the top, for your finish...JER

Rod
01-29-2006, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Has anybody here had a finish applied over a linen wrap? If so, how did it work out? Thanks--AS <hr /></blockquote>

What's you're intention? I have sprayed linnen with clear laquer. I did that because in the old days there was no cue repair shop around the corner. My reason, I wrapped my own cue. The wrap was uneven so I sprayed it and sanded it down. The laquer kept it from freying sp?. I ended up with a fairly level wrap but I didn't sand it so much as to make it to smooth. If you coat it completely it will make it tackier if thats what your looking for. BTW the wrap was on there for years until, as I said pro shops were near by.

Rod

Leviathan
01-29-2006, 05:36 AM
'Lo, Rod:

I bought a cue with a linen wrap several months ago. It's a nice cue, but I've played mostly with sneaky petes and prefer the non-slip grip one gets with an unwrapped butt that has a glassy finish. I'm wondering whether to get rid of this nice linen-wrapped cue or send it somewhere (maybe to Blackheart or Prof Bill) to be Meuccified. I'm wondering whether a finish that would be applied over the linen would be durable, even, and glassy smooth like the finish on a good sneaky pete.

Thanks to those who have replied!--AS

Rod
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't be sure since I've never done such. However I do see potential problems. As Jer said "filling" it in then spray over. It still would'nt be smooth and require some sanding. Finishing the wrap area only is another grey area. It seems to me once that is done to make it "flush" the whole forearm would then need to be sprayed. That's how I see it from doing finish work in automotive. Jer may know a better way. I'm sure the finished product would look great if done right but it would be quite an expense.

If it was me I'd sell it and buy something that fits my tastes rather than modify in this case. I think the money would be better spent not to mention if you ever decided to sell at a later date. But then I'm not you or have your large bank account. LOL

Rod