PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Cue Tip

slipstroke
01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
For those who install cue tips, what do you use to give the side of the tip a finished look (like when the cue was new) after you size, shape and burnish it? Do you put anything on it?

Slipstoke

Deeman3
01-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I know I'm old school, but I put spit on the side then burnish it againt leather or the edge of a table (the cloth).

Deeman

Sid_Vicious
01-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Spiderman taught me a method of applying super glue, following the spit/burnish with the dollar bill trick. it takes a spinning tool or lathe but it does a spectacular job of polishing the sides, plus you get added strenght from bulging...sid

Drop1
01-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I just put on my first tip,and used 600 grit to burnish it. Then to give it that real pro look,I used a Magic Marker felt pen. I figure what the Hell, I will be putting the tip back on after each game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supergreenman
01-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I've found that cyanoacrylite (sp) leaves a nice shiny surface on the side of my tip after installation.

I use the gel type.

James

Bassn7
01-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Beware of the "black marker" trick. I used to use this on all my tips. Problem: Usually when breaking, I didn't realize that my tip was moving quickly across the cloth on my follow-through and leaving black streaks on the cloth. Permanent black streaks, bad news. So for your 'shooting cue' OK, but breaking, just watch out.

supergreenman
01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Another trick I use before I coat the side of the tip with cyanacrylate is I that very fine grit (sorry I don't know what number) sand paper that comes with the adhesive back and glue it onto a little wedge of blue foam insulation I keep in my pool case. But when I install a new tip and work down till it's flush with my ferrel I use the exposed side of the foam insulation to buff the side of the tip up, then I put a coating of cyanacrylate over top. Works like the bomb for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrownCityCorey
02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
You should try this http://www.tigerproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=16157&cat=4&page=1

stickman
02-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I use ammonia on a Qtip on the sides of the tip, then burnish well with leather. When well burnished, I use the other end of a Qtip with shaft sealer on the sides. I polish with my fingers, believe it or not. I do all this with my lathe. Some people use super glue on the sides.

Cornerman
02-15-2006, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Spiderman taught me a method of applying super glue, following the spit/burnish with the dollar bill trick. it takes a spinning tool or lathe but it does a spectacular job of polishing the sides, plus you get added strenght from bulging...sid <hr /></blockquote>Have you done this on your own tips? I ask because I have done this on other players' tips, and I don't ever follow-up to see how long it takes before you can no longer tell that there was super glue on there.

Fred

SpiderMan
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Spiderman taught me a method of applying super glue, following the spit/burnish with the dollar bill trick. it takes a spinning tool or lathe but it does a spectacular job of polishing the sides, plus you get added strenght from bulging...sid <hr /></blockquote>Have you done this on your own tips? I ask because I have done this on other players' tips, and I don't ever follow-up to see how long it takes before you can no longer tell that there was super glue on there.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

I do it on my own, and I find that it's very dependent on the type of tip and the type of play. Since the SG coating soaks in a little and creates a sort of "case hardening" on the outside, it obviously doesn't compress the same as the core of the tip. Some hard WB tips will go months and still retain a "finish", while an elk master starts looking nappy after a week of daily play.

Even so, I find that having originally treated the outside seems to make it easier to regain the finish during a touch-up. I cut 1200 grit into about 1/4"-wide strips to carry in my case for knocking off the fuzz without hitting the ferrule, and have some 2-degree-tapered-hole delrin bushings that I made for burnishing.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Fred...The Moori Q and most all other hard layered tips I've used this method on, have retained it's luster indefinetely through the life of the tip. Jm2c...sid

Cornerman
02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Fred...The Moori Q and most all other hard layered tips I've used this method on, have retained it's luster indefinetely through the life of the tip. Jm2c...sid <hr /></blockquote>
Okay, thanks to both of you. I've only done this trick on Elk Masters. I saw an Elk Master tip that I thought I had installed a while ago, and there was no sign of any CA on it anymore. So, I figured either the tip I had put on was long changed by someone else, or the CA had... disintegrated at some point?

Fred

Cueless Joey
02-16-2006, 08:33 AM
French polish.

Cornerman
02-16-2006, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> French polish. <hr /></blockquote>With pumice?

Fred

SpiderMan
02-16-2006, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Fred...The Moori Q and most all other hard layered tips I've used this method on, have retained it's luster indefinetely through the life of the tip. Jm2c...sid <hr /></blockquote>
Okay, thanks to both of you. I've only done this trick on Elk Masters. I saw an Elk Master tip that I thought I had installed a while ago, and there was no sign of any CA on it anymore. So, I figured either the tip I had put on was long changed by someone else, or the CA had... disintegrated at some point?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

It may still be on it, or in it, but Elk Masters lose their gloss more quickly because they compress and "break" the surface treatment. I think there's still some benefit, even to a soft tip, as it seems easier to retouch the appearance of one that's been treated.

SpiderMan