PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Properly recut and Tighten pockets?

Scott_The_Shot
01-29-2006, 07:31 AM
If anyone could enlighten me on how to tighten a pocket the correct way I sure would appreciate it.
I will be purchasing new rails during this project btw.
Thanks,

Billy_Bob
01-29-2006, 10:45 AM
What I did was glue together multiple "pocket facings" and then glue/tack them to the ends of the rails. Then I sanded them smooth with a belt sander.

The only problem with this is that the pocket facing material is not bouncy like the cushions are. So if a ball hits this area, I hear a dull "thud" and the ball kind of fizzles.

But I like it this way since I should never be hitting a ball to that area. Because a regular table does not have a cushion there, so could not use it for shots. And I should not be hitting that area on a regular table, my shots should go into the center of the pocket. (Unless cheating the pocket.)

So the dull thud gives me an audible and visual feedback that I am hitting an area which I should not be hitting.

BLACKHEART
01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure what you want, but I will tell you that when I used to recover tables I found (after a lot of trial & error), that using an electric knife, did the best when cutting the angle,on the cusions,for the pockets. Then with a hand held sander dress up the edge, to make it nice & flat. I USED TO HAVE a templet for the angle & used a ball point pen to trace the line onto the cusion...JER