PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Playing Out Of Shape W-Beaters?

Sid_Vicious
01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Wondered something after seeing a couple of high profile players in person, who have shown me little in regard to their names, "how much do the premiere players lose in their games with age and/or lack of play time?" I'm no super player but there appears to be competition levels from big players with tenure and world renouned stature from some of these players. And NO!, for their respect, I'm not posting names here on this board.

Billy_Bob
01-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I played one such person in a tournament and beat him once, then played him again later for 2nd/3rd and he did not give me a shot - ran the table.

I had no idea *who* he was, and if I had known before playing him, I probably would have been nervous and lost the first time around. He no longer plays in pro tournaments, but he can still do amazing things.

We were playing 8-ball in a small tournament. I saw him playing his previous games and saw he was quite good. So I broke so the balls would be clustered so he could not run-out. Well he almost did run out. Amazing how he could break out clusters *and* get position on the shot. But he goofed up after clearing the table of most of his balls and opening everything up, so I had an easy runout.

Again - no names...

Fran Crimi
01-29-2006, 12:21 PM
So basically, what your asking is if you should gamble with them, right? Can they still come with the goods, even though you haven't seen anything special from them so far?

Well, if they're out there playing, it's liable to kick-in at any time. Look-out when it does. You could find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fran

Drop1
01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
The usual wear of growing older is very deceiving.You will slow down a little,connecting the dots,but once the dots are connected, they are 2%off their game, compared to when they were a fifty year old kid. If you are playing old people,be careful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Sid, my all time favorite was Onifrio Lauri who was leading the 1971 14.1 Worlds Championship at age 73 1/2. He won his Division at 9-0 and was 6-0 in the final Division till the Earthquake hit. He lost his next 3 games, so some players do play well into their retirement years.####

Fran Crimi
01-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Dick,

Great story about Lauri. I think that was also the tournament where Ray Martin got the name "Cool Cat." He wanted to keep playing through the quake when everyone else was heading for the hills.

Fran

supergreenman
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
There's a fellow in my pool hall that has to be pushing 75. Paul English is his name. He's always in the money in our friday 9 ball tournaments.

His regular claim is he hadn't even seen a "pool table"(9 footer) till he was in his 50s. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but what he's really saying is that he never played on anything smaller than a 12 foot snooker table till he was in his 50s.

This guy has a stroke that's smooth as silk and that cue ball always ends up where he wants it.

He's the reason why I always believed what my father said: "watch out for the old guys."

James

SpiderMan
01-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Think about this - you're as old as many of those "former champions", and your game is still improving, right? Unless they've gone blind, I suspect the game is lurking beneath the surface.

"Old" Bob Vanover won the seniors division at the BCA nationals several times, so they made him shoot with the younger guys in the master's division. Too bad for the young guns.

SpiderMan