PDA

View Full Version : As Senate asks questions, White House gets testy

SnakebyteXX
01-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Administration officials argue that they are protecting executive power

By JAMES KUHNHENN
Knight Ridder Tribune News

WASHINGTON - After years of deferring to the Bush White House, the Republican-controlled Senate has begun pushing back, holding oversight hearings on topics ranging from President Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina to his administration's mine-safety record and the president's secret domestic-surveillance program.

Administration officials are fighting back.

An administration mine-safety official walked out of a Senate hearing last week, angering its powerful Republican chairman.

The White House refused to give another Senate panel documents it sought about Katrina.

The administration is trying to dismiss critics of its eavesdropping program as clueless partisans, though many of them are Republicans.

White House officials and their allies maintain that their stance protects inherent executive power.

Critics say the administration's reaction to the Senate's inquiries is an assault on Congress' constitutional role as a co-equal branch of government that checks and balances the executive.

A history of tension

"There is always a tension between Congress and the executive on information-sharing," said Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, a Democrat who's generally friendly to the president but has accused the White House of stonewalling over Katrina.

"This administration, certainly among the three that I've served under," Lieberman said, "is the most restrictive and protective about sharing information."

The Bush administration never has been shy about testing the limits of its executive power.

Vice President Dick Cheney refused to divulge the identities of energy executives who advised him on energy policy.

The administration wouldn't give Congress up-to-date cost estimates of its prescription-drug legislation.

The Pentagon often is stingy about Iraq war data.

Demanding answers

The current clash is significant because, unlike during Bush's first term, the Senate is demanding answers:

•A Senate Appropriations subcommittee had sharp words Monday for federal mining-safety officials, blaming improper enforcement of regulations for the recent deaths of 14 miners in West Virginia.
Two hours into the hearing, the acting head of the Mine Safety and Health Administration, David Dye, left despite requests from subcommittee Chairman Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., that he stay and answer more questions.

•Federal agencies have refused to turn over documents about their communications with the White House related to Hurricane Katrina to two congressional committees that are investigating the federal response to the disaster.
•Specter has scheduled hearings for Feb. 6 on whether the president was legally permitted to authorize wiretaps in the United States without court warrants. The administration has mounted an effort to portray those who question the legitimacy of the program as out of touch with the realities of post-Sept. 11 counterterrorism.

New to second term
Such challenging examinations of the administration were virtually unheard-of during Bush's first term, when Congress wanted to cooperate with the president in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and he was highly popular with the public.

Since then, Bush's response to Katrina, continuing bad news from Iraq and other controversies have eroded his popularity.

In addition, with congressional elections in November, Republicans aren't as concerned about advancing the president's agenda as they are in advancing themselves.

Both Republicans and Democrats have decided to resist Bush's expansion of presidential authority.

Congress watchers say hearings into Katrina, mine safety and wiretaps represent the least of what a muscular Congress should be doing to fulfill its oversight responsibilities.

web page (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3618959.html)

pooltchr
01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> Congress wanted to cooperate with the president in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and he was highly popular with the public.

aren't as concerned about advancing the president's agenda as they are in advancing themselves.

<hr /></blockquote>
This sums up exactly what is wrong in Washington. It's not a republican or a democrat thing.....it's a politican thing!!!!
And they wonder why most of the American public think elected officials aren't trustworthy!!!!!!
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-31-2006, 08:38 AM
When you have a total liar in the White House, who thinks he is above the law, and has a cabinet full of crooks helping him to twist the truth around, secret meetings with Oil companies, pharmaceutical industries, and others virtually writing bills which ultimately gouge the rest of us out of our hard earned money, even Republicans begin to realize that Bush, with his incompetant, illegal, secret, divisional approach to running this country into the ground, will be a deficit to them in the future elections.

He has been stone walling investigations throughout his tenure. The most corrupt president, and the most corrupt congress, Republicans all! It is interesting that when there is exposure of just how corrupt this bunch is, the party liners want to blame it all on politics! It isn't politics, it is a corrupt administration, from the White House, to the Senate to the Congress! We need to clean house!

Gayle in Md.

Fasteddy7
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> When you have a total liar in the White House, who thinks he is above the law, and has a cabinet full of crooks helping him to twist the truth around, secret meetings with Oil companies, pharmaceutical industries, and others virtually writing bills which ultimately gouge the rest of us out of our hard earned money, even Republicans begin to realize that Bush, with his incompetant, illegal, secret, divisional approach to running this country into the ground, will be a deficit to them in the future elections.

He has been stone walling investigations throughout his tenure. The most corrupt president, and the most corrupt congress, Republicans all! It is interesting that when there is exposure of just how corrupt this bunch is, the party liners want to blame it all on politics! It isn't politics, it is a corrupt administration, from the White House, to the Senate to the Congress! We need to clean house!

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

I would venture to say they all are corrupt. Not just republicans but democrats as well. They cant get where they are without doing some shady business to get there. Your consistant blaming of the administation has merit but I dont see you marching on capitol hill to get your statements across. Its easy to sit back,type and complain. If it means soooo mich to you what are you doing to change it. (besides trying to sway others with your thought provoking posts, lol)

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
"but I dont see you marching on capitol hill to get your statements across."

Are you there to see Gayle does not make her personal march up that hill? This admin is atrocioous in their open lying, no past admin has had the balls this one has shown by snubbing the truth. Bill C gets one BJ, wiggles around the truth of the infidelity and the country shuts down. Bush is WAY, WAY beyond the seriousness of what GW has and is doing to the democracy facet of this nation. Worst and most crooked AH we've ever seen in the WH...sid

eg8r
02-01-2006, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no past admin has had the balls this one has shown <hr /></blockquote> Which is why the big bad wolf Osama is cowering in the hills and Saddam is doing underwear commercials. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Obviously, you don't keep abreast of the news, since by a huge margin, it is Republicans, not Democrats, under investigation, and indicted. When there is one party holding all the power, and committing all the crimes, they deserve all the criticism.

BTW, thanks for the compliment, it's nice to know that you find my posts thought provoking, especially since "Thinking" has become such a neglected exercise for the dim witted minority who still support Bush in this country, and who are either unable to digest the truth about this administration, or are so apathetic as regards the state of our nation, that they tire far too easily for any valuable examination of our circumstances, hence, incompetant liars like George Bush, are re-elected.

Since you don't know me at all, statements regarding how I spend my time, are presumptious on your part.

Gayle in Md.