PDA

View Full Version : Exxon Mobil record high profits

SPetty
02-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Keeping in mind that most of my news and current events knowledge is from sound snippets on the radio and TV...

Why isn't there an outcry here about the Exxon Mobile RECORD high profits of Ten Billion Dollars in four months? We've paid record high prices just for record oil company profits?

I've often wondered - mostly because I'm ignorant about such things - is there a mechanism in place that keeps my electric company from charging five times as much than they do? That is, wouldn't it be wrong to charge way too much for something that is required by our modern civilized society just to live a normal life? And surely there's some mechanism in place to prevent them from charging too much, right?

If so, does such a thing also apply to gasoline products? If not, why not?

What is the oil company's response to the price gouging and record profits?

Deeman3
02-01-2006, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Keeping in mind that most of my news and current events knowledge is from sound snippets on the radio and TV...

Why isn't there an outcry here about the Exxon Mobile RECORD high profits of Ten Billion Dollars in four months? We've paid record high prices just for record oil company profits?

I've often wondered - mostly because I'm ignorant about such things - is there a mechanism in place that keeps my electric company from charging five times as much than they do? That is, wouldn't it be wrong to charge way too much for something that is required by our modern civilized society just to live a normal life? And surely there's some mechanism in place to prevent them from charging too much, right? <font color="blue"> SPetty, Usually with a public utility, there is a public service commission or other watchdog group that approves any rate hike for residential and commercial gas, water and electricitry. Unfortunately, Gasoline is a privately held and sold comodity subject only to taxes and tarrifs. Gas price controls and allotment have been done in the past but only in rare cases. After all is said and done, We will get hosed by the gas companies much like we are by health care providers, credit cards companies and, bigger than them all, insurance companies. Unfortunately, the Republicans and Democrats are both in bed with all these companies, The republicans more so with the gas producers and the Democrats with the insurance companies. </font color>

If so, does such a thing also apply to gasoline products? If not, why not?

What is the oil company's response to the price gouging and record profits? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> They are called to testify before a congressional body, the prices back off until people stop complaining and then they go back up as soon as news of bad things in Bagdad, Israel or the Persian Gulf or the Mississippi Gulf Coast spring up. It is a rediculous cycle where we will lose in the end. I believe Nixon was the last president to exercise gas price controls. On the worldwide scale gas is still dirt cheap here. I know, that does not make it any less painful.</font color>

Deeman

Qtec
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
There are price controls on gas, but only for the minimum. ie you cant sell gas below a certain price.

Q

Deeman3
02-01-2006, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> There are price controls on gas, but only for the minimum. ie you cant sell gas below a certain price.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Good point Q. However, You can sell at any price if you are in the Saudi Royal Family....I thought you'd like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Gayle in MD
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
SPetty,
Both the oil and pharmeceutical industries made huge donations to the Bush campaigns in comparison to what money they gave to Democrats. Dick Cheney held secret meetings with the oil executives in recent months, why secret? Bush prevented us from being able to get our prescription drugs from other countries, such as Canada, where we could get them cheaper. In simple terms, Bush was bought by Pharmaceuticals and Oil, that's why they are able to gouge us and get away with it.

If there was no oil in Iraq, we wouldn't be fighting a war over there, misnamed, "The War On Terror"....

You can thank George Bush for the huge profits he has allowed the oil companies to rake in during war time, and the exhorbitant costs of prescription drugs, accompanied by his D-plan for seniors, which was designed to make it more difficult for our seniors to get medicaid money to help them with the high costs of drugs. His every action is designed to put more dollars into the hands of the rich, and less dollars into the hands of the poor and middle class American.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Is GWB now in the Saudi Family?....i thought I saw a picture of the Prince giving him a kiss similiar to when you became a "made" guy in the Mafia.
Oops, sorry.....they was only holding hands
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/L/c/bush_abdullah_chaching.jpg

Gayle in MD
02-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Adn let's not forget, he is holding the hand of the leader of the country from which most of the 9/11 attackers came.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif