PDA

View Full Version : couple ?

studdyhalllooser
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
whats the diference between the red dot and black dot meucci shafts? not familiar with them. also why do most people hate silver cup chalk? is masters chalk that much better? also i have a bad habbit of hitting too hard....what tip tools would be recomended to shape up a slightly mushroomed tip? and what is good to use when your tip gets glazed up to where it will hardly hold chalk?
thanks guys (and gals)
Jay

PHJ314
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Tip tools:
http://cuestore.ca/accessories/tipmaint_1.html

IMO Masters chalk is the best chalk, around here there's a lot of Triangle chalk, therefore I carry Master with me at all times. Never seen Silver Cup.

supergreenman
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I have no idea about the meucci shafts, but it probably has something to do with stiffness or shape.

As for Silver Cup Chalk, I like it. I prefere it over masters for one reason, it's cleaner and it seems to be a lot finer and spread more evenly than masters.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure you'll find a dozen different answers, and I seem to remember a website that rated it second to masters.

James

snook
02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
the red dot is 28 layers and the black dot is 32... i'm pretty sure... anywho it has to do with defelection... i red a recent study where the blackdot actually has less deflection than the predator, but the pred still surpassed the b.d. in several other areas.

Cueless Joey
02-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Red Dot is Meucci's stock whippy as a noodle shaft.
The Black Dot is their gimmick low-quality plywood shaft.
No world champion has used either one.
Plenty of world champions using regular no gimmick shafts though.

OldieToo
02-05-2006, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Red Dot is Meucci's stock whippy as a noodle shaft.
The Black Dot is their gimmick low-quality plywood shaft.
No world champion has used either one.
Plenty of world champions using regular no gimmick shafts though. <hr /></blockquote>Not exactly...

The "Red Dot" is the same old shaft Meucci has been making forever. The dot simply signifies the spline alignment so that a player can "clock" the cue the same each time. The actual cue wood and taper are the same as the "Meucci Originals" that Rempe used TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS (as well as Loree J Jones). In fact, during the mid to late 80's, more top players were using Meucci cues than any other cue.

The black dot is a laminated wood shaft. It is done to similate the effects of "old growth" maple shafts. I currently have a Joss cue with 40 growth rings...it is natures own "laminated shaft". A shaft with this many growth rings is valued at over $400...just for the dowel core! Not the finished, tapered shaft.

The problem with the Meucci Blackdot Bullseye is the laminations have a high sugar content(sapp) and and are from different trees. The expansion/contraction rates of the different woods and Meuccis inferior laminated dowel cores cause them ALL to WARP!

My advise...avoid the Blackdot. Get the red dot...or get a aftermarket shaft for the cue if the Meucci taper is too "whippy" for you.

snook
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
i own a 97-12 with a red and black dot...

i tend to use the red dot because i just prefer the feel of the shaft on my hand...

yes it is a more whippy stick... but i've also found that if i'm banging balls around enough to notice the whip then i'm probably hitting too hard to begin with...

as far as the black dot... two years old.. no warp... but i'll be sure to keep an extra eye out for it now..

but something tells me meucci wouldnt continually release shafts that they knew would warp quickly