PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with a new cue - Advice

NeZ
02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm new to this site, just registered today. I've been playing in a pretty serious weekly game for about 4 years now.

I finally made the jump to getting my own cue just today. I ordered a McDermott MG-3. I'm hoping it'll be here next week.

I've got a few questions I'm hoping you all might be able to help out with regarding my new cue.

1) Is it okay to break with your main cue or should I use a house cue to break?

2) Do I need to do anything to the tip when I get the cue or can I use it straight out of the box?

2a)How long should I expect a tip to last? I play about 4 to 5 hours per week on average.

2b)Is it easy to change tips or should I have a professional do it? McDermott will do it for free if I pay the shipping there and back ($14.95 to ship it back to me.)

3) Are there any other things I should consider in terms of cue care or use?

Thanks.

Brian in VA
02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome to the board NeZ.

I'll try some of these; remember they are my opinion only, your mileage may vary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. It's absolutely okay to break with your cue. Whether you decide to do so or not depends on the tip you have and how hard it is, how hard you hit them. etc. Some folks have a different break cue because of various reasons. Mine is I prefer a heavier stick to break. You can't hurt the cue however.
2. Depends. Most of the time, it will need to be shaped to proper radius. You can do it yourself but I have a guy who does it quickly and cheaply, along with a shaft cleaning, for $5. If there is a pro shop nearby, I'd let them do it the first time and then decide for yourself. Your tip should last a good long time. I play about 3 hours a week and my tip is 8 months old and looks like it's got at least that much more time on it. It depends on how soft the tip is, how often you shape it, what kind of chalk you use, how you chalk. I let a pro change mine only because I don't have the proper tools and it's pretty cheap to get it done locally.

3. Keep your cue out of the car except to drive to the pool room. Changes in temp and humidity can do a number on them over time. Wipe the shaft down after every use, make sure your hands a clean, too. Carry it in a good case that helps to protect it. And treat it like you want it to treat you. Remember, it didn't make the stroke, you did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Enjoy it!

Brian in VA