PDA

View Full Version : Pool Snobs!!!!

mrpool06
02-01-2006, 03:29 PM
This is something thats been eating at me somewhat, since I played in a city tournament this weekend. I'm noticing a "clique" among alot of the top players in town.....if you're not one of them, they hardly acknowledge you. I've even noticed that when I've played some of these people in league, they're somewhat "cool" acting. This was very evident at the calcutta, just before the tournament started.

(BTW, I'm a good player, getting better every year....but by no means one of the best in town. Even if I was, I would never act that way).

I suppose all trends have their cliques, pool being no exceptions. Sorry, just venting!!! Why do people have to act this way??

Deeman3
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Mr. Pool06:

Don't despair. There does seem to be a group at every event. Just keep playing and bide your time and you'll be in that group. It may seem trivial and a little unfair but we have to earn our stripes in everything we do and this just takes time. Just keep in mind your statement that you will never be that way and be nice and friendly with others that follow you.

If you think it's different in bowling or golf, it's not. You do care or this would not bug you. Beat a few of these clowns and they will recognise you. Some of this just takes time, to become one of the boys or shooters. It's sometimes much more difficult for women who may earn the respect through their game but it may take much longer for their acceptance. There's always someone worse off than you.

For me, I refuse to associate with aloof groups who would stoop to my levels of behaviour anyway..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
good luck...

Cueless Joey
02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Pool is amazing.
Somehow when some players get good at it, they suddenly become smarter and the people around them become dumber.

Cane
02-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I do see cliques, esp at larger tourneys, but at our local pool room, it's not the case. The C players sit around and play cards and BS with the A and A+ players. The only time you won't see them socializing is when there is gambling or a ring game going on. The C players and B players have their ring games and we don't bother them, the A and better players have their games and stay off to themselves.

Now, generally, pool isn't discussed during these BS sessions. If a lower caliber player has a question or wants help, he'll go to one of the A's and ask and usually either get an answer or get sent to someone who knows the answer (example, my travelling buddy, Darryl can run racks like there's no tomorrow, but he could no more teach someone how to draw a ball than a man in the moon, but he'll tell them that and send them to one of the players who CAN help them).

In any case, we don't do the clique thing here much... just a bunch of friend old southern boys playing pool.

Later,
Bob

Fran Crimi
02-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I've seen this type of reaction to better players a lot. They're not all snobs. They probably just know each other very well. Maybe some of them grew up together in the pool room. Maybe they lost together and suffered together through the trials and tribulations of getting better. They're comfortable around each other so they hang together.

Play a lot, put in the time, show up often and you'll make friends, maybe with them, and maybe you'll have your own group of friends that you'll grow together with.

And I guarantee that someday a new-commer will say that about you and your friends.

Fran

DickLeonard
02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Mrpool06, That gives you a prime motivator to get better. Once you start beating them that wall will come down, just don't choose to walk in their paths.####

supergreenman
02-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Mrpool06 "I've even noticed that when I've played some of these people in league, they're somewhat "cool" acting."

Is this in a tournament setting? If so, a lot of people are "cool" while playing tournaments or league play. when the games are done, they're all smiles and friendly again. Some people have a hard time being overly friendly to a person they're playing when they're really out to crush them and get on to thier next opponent. It may be rude, but it's not personal.

James

Cornerman
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrpool06:</font><hr> I'm noticing a "clique" among alot of the top players in town.....if you're not one of them, they hardly acknowledge you. I've even noticed that when I've played some of these people in league, they're somewhat "cool" acting. <hr /></blockquote> I'll give two possibilities:

1) They were previously friends/teamates

2) They share a common bond: excellence in pool.

I can't say I do what you're talking about, butif there's going to be any "cliquish" discussion between me and another player that I know, but am not friends with, it's usually comes with a "respect for each other's game" mentality. We'll have common war stories, or we'll share something new (tournaments, player information) that would be appropriate for a certain player, but might not be for another player.

For example, I might tell someone how to go about playing in the Valley Forge amateur event since I've never seen him there. He may not even know the tournament exists, and he's the type of player that should be playing it. That information may not be as valuable to a player that isn't quite to his caliber.

I never considered it to be a "I want to be in your band, but not his." But, now that you've brought it up, being more aware of it might be a good idea.

Fred

UWPoolGod
02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I have sometimes noticed that as well. Some of it is ego, some of it is just their personality that they carry all the time. I never got any "hi, how ya doin's" or respect from one such player who thinks he is gods gift to pool until I rolled him up 5-0 in 3 innings during playoffs last year. Now he acknowledges me. Guess I am off his snub list.

Just play your way to the top and be nice and courteous along the way. Life is better with lots of pool friends.

Billy_Bob
02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I've been playing pool tournaments for several years. And there are players who I have seen at these tournaments and have known for several years. Most are the best players, but a few not so good.

And then there are a *lot* of new players who come along, play one or two tournaments, then are gone.

So when I arrive at a tournament, I visit and say hi to the other people I *know*. I tend to stay away from new people at the tournament because I don't know them. BUT if these new people show up at several tournaments and keep playing in tournaments for awhile, then I will get to know them and will "joke/say hi/visit with them" when I get to a tournament and see them. It does not matter if they are a good player or not.

Other than that, the better players tend to play in many tournaments and are in leagues. So I may chat with another player at a money tournament about league stuff. Or something which happened at another tournament. So I guess there is just more stuff to talk about with other players who play in many tournaments and league - just so happens these are the better players.

And with that said, if someone new comes up to me and wants to chat, I am quite friendly and always like to make new friends. And if it is before a tournament and someone wants to play a game, I'm always willing!

Drop1
02-02-2006, 12:24 PM
First things first,part of the conrol of the table,is control of your opponent. One way to control your opponent is not aknowlege he,or she,exists,or made a good move,say nothing. I think this carries over,when some players are away from the table. I knew a fellow who was the biggest snob in the pool parlor,and then one day I met him at the market,and he was friendly as could be. When you are a top player,you can be misread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Snapshot9
02-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Plus, sometimes upper players recognize you as a potential money matchup down the line, and they want to maintain a psychological edge over you, and they do that in different ways, and one of the ways is by snubbing you, therefore making you feel like a 2nd class Pool citizen.