PDA

View Full Version : Convert Old Cue to Break Cue

walt8880
02-02-2006, 01:44 AM
I have been breaking with house cues and doing OK but not great. I don't have the money now to buy a new or used break cue and was thinking of buying a cheap used sneaky pete (really cheap), putting a phenolic or hard leather tip on it and using it as a break cue.

Is that really worth the effort compared to breaking with a house cue or should I just wait until I can scrape up the money for a designed break or break/jump cue?

I would be using the cue mostly in eight ball and sometimes 9 ball.

thanks

Rich R.
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr>Is that really worth the effort compared to breaking with a house cue or should I just wait until I can scrape up the money for a designed break or break/jump cue?
<hr /></blockquote>
The real difference would be that you would be using the same cue with the same tip, rather than relying on house cues. This will give you some consistancy, in your equipment.
By the time you buy a cheap sneaky pete, and put a hard tip on it, you may be able to buy one of the many break cues, and some of the J/B cues, on the market. Shop around. I believe Bunjee and Fury both make reasonably priced J/B cues. I don't know the price of the X-Breaker and others.

bluey2king
02-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Yes it is worth the effort! I have put on a phenolic tip on second cue. The differance is BIG.
Note, dont use english with this tip it will mis-cue.
I quit Breaking from rail for 9 ball I go one half ball off center and about one behind the head string keeping a nice level cue and I don't need to hit it with Everthing I have. A well placed hit one the one with 1/2 tip below center. POW!!! I get a nice spread usally a ball or two, the one will come uptable as will the CB to give a shot on the one.
What more could I guy ask for...*S*
For 8 ball I use the same approach except just a little more angle be carful about scratching in the head rail corners.
You will LOVE the Sound!!! CRACK!!!!!!!

dareads
02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
I recently went through the same thing no more than a couple weeks ago. The advice I got was to use a hard leather tip and get to the point where you can control the cue ball consistanly before moving on to a phenolic tip. The phenolic tips are great for breaking, but can miscue frequently if you are not hitting just right. I got a Talisman extra hard tip and popped it on my old playing cue and it works great. I will probably keep it like this for at least a few months before considering a phenolic.

Snapshot9
02-03-2006, 08:23 AM
I bought a J&amp;J b/j cue off Ebay for $44.90 shipping included, and it breaks real good. Has phenolic ferrule and tip. They sell them there all the time. You can even buy them retail for $70 (Erikleecues.com).

wolfdancer
02-03-2006, 10:15 AM
you got a b/j for only $44.90? Last one I had cost me $75

supergreenman
02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
haha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fran Crimi
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Is that what men are charging these days?