PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 ???

studdyhalllooser
02-02-2006, 12:30 PM
what is 14.1 ? i have seen a lot of references to it but have no clue to what it is...im "kinda" new to billiards...i have always liked to play and have always been decent but the past 4 or 5 months i have really gotten into the game and started playing tournaments. anyway im just wondering what it is thats all
Thanks,
Jay

Deeman3
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
14.1 continuous is the game that was the maeasure of championship play up until the 1970's. It is also called straight pool.

The game is played where all balls can be shot in any pocket with the last ball on the table being left as a break ball and the other 14 racked with the foot spot vacant. Very high runs are possible (Willie Mosconi ran over 500 in an exhibition once).

It is a great game but much more complex and difficult than it would first appear. Try is you will like it.

Deeman

Bumps
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I'll second what Deeman said. Playing Straight Pool will improve any other pool game you play, regardless of what some of the younger 9 ballers may think. The game is MUCH more difficult than it initially appears. Playing Fargo, the rules and scoresheets may be found on playpool.com, IIRC, is a good practice game to get you started in Straight Pool. You won't regret learning it.

NeZ
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I just checked out the Fargo rules over at playpool.com. I've got one quick question, if I'm understanding correctly, when it's your inning, you break the balls and always get ball in hand after the break, correct? It sounds like even if you scratch, jump balls off the table, etc. that doesn't matter and you get ball in hand. Am I understanding this correctly?

And then once you miss a ball, the balls are re-racked and it's the next player's turn. Right?

Bob_Jewett
02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NeZ:</font><hr> ... And then once you miss a ball, the balls are re-racked and it's the next player's turn. Right? <hr /></blockquote>
Usually, you're playing Fargo alone (or against remote players), but there's no reason it can't be played as direct competition.

Scratches (and balls made) on the break don't count for or against at Fargo.