PDA

View Full Version : No More Ball Raking

TomBrooklyn
06-30-2002, 06:53 PM
I just went through an extensive ding removal process with a couple of cue shafts. I hadn't done it in a while and there were a lot of dings, and it took a long time to get them all out. On some I applied water (with a Q-tip) up to about 30 times. I have one shaft almost perfect now.

On another pretty new shaft that still had the original finish on it, it wouldn't absorb any water, so I sanded it with 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. The finish came off easily. It was pretty thin. I wonder what it was? Even though the finish tended not to come off so much where the dings were, they absorbed water after the sanding and the dings are coming out.

I used to think that if I used the shaft to move or stop balls gently it wouldn't ding the shaft. Now I'm not so sure. Once I got started on ding removal, I kept finding more and more. I'm not going to touch any balls with the shaft anymore. Just the tip and uh, the ferrule. I like to set up practice shots, and I need to move the balls around.

06-30-2002, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I just went through an extensive ding removal process with a couple of cue shafts. I hadn't done it in a while and there were a lot of dings, and it took a long time to get them all out. On some I applied water (with a Q-tip) up to about 30 times. I have one shaft almost perfect now.

On another pretty new shaft that still had the original finish on it, it wouldn't absorb any water, so I sanded it with 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. The finish came off easily. It was pretty thin. I wonder what it was? Even though the finish tended not to come off so much where the dings were, they absorbed water after the sanding and the dings are coming out.

I used to think that if I used the shaft to move or stop balls gently it wouldn't ding the shaft. Now I'm not so sure. Once I got started on ding removal, I kept finding more and more. I'm not going to touch any balls with the shaft anymore. Just the tip and uh, the ferrule. I like to set up practice shots, and I need to move the balls around. <hr></blockquote>

as far as i know, they mostly use car wax to seal the shafts. that's about it.

as to dings, yes, raking balls will put dings in the shaft and so will just about anything else.

there is a way to beat it and i've mentioned it here before but i don't think anyone has believed me enough to try it. i used to have to "un-ding" my shaft every very few weeks. now i almost never have to,

glass it. just like a baseball bat. rub the bottle neck or glass over the shaft with medium pressure while turning the shaft on your lap for a while. if a ding is just a compression of the wood fibre in a small area then glassing the shaft is doin that to the whole shaft. pre-dinging it.

glass it, then q-tip up any dings that may still be too low. then do the very fine sanding/polishing finishing with the leather, dollar and car wax and you're good for a long time.

dan

John in NH
06-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Hi Tom,

After reading your post it sounded like something that I would do, I guess that you have found the problem and corrected it,

thanks for the tip,

John

Tom_In_Cincy
06-30-2002, 07:45 PM
HDJ,
Are you saying that you 'bone' or compress the cue shaft to make the surface more resistive to dings?

Like leather tips, burnishing helps to resist the mushroom effect?

Just curious, I believe that using 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper does the same thing.. with less heat or pressure.. and it must be done by hand and with the grain.. not on a lathe.. takes a little longer to condition, but lasts a long time..

06-30-2002, 08:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> HDJ,
Are you saying that you 'bone' or compress the cue shaft to make the surface more resistive to dings?

Like leather tips, burnishing helps to resist the mushroom effect?

Just curious, I believe that using 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper does the same thing.. with less heat or pressure.. and it must be done by hand and with the grain.. not on a lathe.. takes a little longer to condition, but lasts a long time.. <hr></blockquote>

yep. i forgot that they also call it boning. same thing. i don't,( in my humble opinion...) see sanding and polishing the shaft as the same thing at all. that does not squeeze the fiber down at all compared to glassing or boning. i'm also turning the shaft so much i don't generate any heat on the wood. if you've got an old shaft laying around then try putting a ding in it then glass it real good. try to ding it again. big difference. i know the old baseball players also thought that this made the bat stronger but i don't know about that.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
06-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Dan,
we are on the same page.. thanks..