PDA

View Full Version : Break Shot Practice

walt8880
02-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Somewhere on some forum or in some article I vaguely remember reading that you do not need to rack all of the balls to practice making a good contact hit on the cue ball for the break. I cannot find it again.

I remember a suggestion about putting one ball on the foot spot and shooting at it with a full controlled stun break stroke, trying for minimum cue ball action after the impact.

Is this a worthwhile exercise for developing a good break stroke with good cue ball control or am I dreaming this up?

Thanks

Snapshot9
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
No... it isn't, and the more I practiced with the BreakArak device, the less I liked it. The only way to really get an effective break is to break as normal repeatedly. Your perception of breaking is different when you see all the balls racked as opposed to just 1 ball.

supergreenman
02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I suppose it depends what you hope to achieve out of practicing. Hitting 1 ball on the foot spot isn't going to tell you how effective your break is. It is good practice for making full contact on the head ball though.

I think practicing breaking with a full rack is necessary as well. A person needs to see the effect he has on the balls.

James

wolfdancer
02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Yours is the first negative post that I've ever seen about the BreakRac....it looks to me like a neat device to improve one's break...which I believe depends on timing,speed and accuracy.
I don't have a great break, and was considering buying one, or a break cue...can't "afford" both.

ceebee
02-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I didn't know that anyone had negative feelings about our product. We have never had a customer call & complain about their use of our product, they call & praise the product.

The BreakRAK isn't an "END ALL PROBLEMS" product, but it is a great product to develop an accurate & powerful stroke. You can always use a real rack of balls. After the development of an accurate & powerful stroke, the break shot is yours to own.

The BreakRAK is used in a dozen or more Pool Schools & by 35 BCA Instructors & 550 more pool playing customers.

Cane
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> Somewhere on some forum or in some article I vaguely remember reading that you do not need to rack all of the balls to practice making a good contact hit on the cue ball for the break. I cannot find it again.

I remember a suggestion about putting one ball on the foot spot and shooting at it with a full controlled stun break stroke, trying for minimum cue ball action after the impact.

Is this a worthwhile exercise for developing a good break stroke with good cue ball control or am I dreaming this up?

Thanks

<hr /></blockquote>

Just my opinion, but I don't feel like putting one ball on the footspot and hitting it to practice cue ball control is going to help you much. With one ball, you have approx 6 ounces of 'stack' you're hitting the CB into. With a 9 ball rack you have 54 ounces of 'stack' you're htting into. Huge difference.

Personally, most people break too hard and too wild. It doesn't matter if you smash the rack at 25 mph if you can't stick the CB in the middle of the table and have a shot, even if you make 3 or 4 balls.

Here's what I do and re-do from time to time. First, I'm capable of breaking at EXTREMELY high speed, but I usually only break between 17 and 20 mph. I can get good CB control that way. Now, I also chart breaks from different positions. I score my breaks by number of balls made, have a score for CB position, dead center of the table being the best score, score 2 for an easy first shot, 1 for moderately difficult first shot, 0 for a tough first shot and -1 for no first shot, etc. In other words, I score my breaks so that I know what breaks and what positions get what results. USUALLY, the highest scoring break is the one I'll start out with in a match, then move to the second highest if that isn't working and so on.

The trick to scoring it is sometimes you'll really hit a bad break, lose the CB out and still have a first shot, then depend on that break from then on and it gets you in trouble. If you score the breaks, then you're giving yourself an edge, a percentage advantage, so to speak. You've gotta go with what works best most of the time, but if you don't know what it is, how can you.

So... first, learn how to control the CB at whatever speed is necessary for you to control it best, then think about scoring your racks to see which ones give you the best overall results repeatedly. I usually score each breaks position TEN times then average the score. Sometimes the "best" break works on one table but sucks on another, so you now have an arsenal of breaks you've proven on paper to try on every table. CB control, a ball in the pocket, a good first shot and a good spread. That's all you need.

By the way, that was the first negative thing I've heard about the BreakRak. I'm definitely going to try one when CeeBee and I can get together. One of the things students have the toughest time with is a proper break and I think Charlies BreakRak will help me teach them how to develop a controlled stroke. I tried it for a short time (one that belonged to someone else) and I liked the feedback I got from it. I WILL have one of my own someday.

later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
02-04-2006, 12:05 PM
"Personally, most people break too hard and too wild."

Amen Brother! Btw, I received 24ct of tan Masters yesterday so I can free you up to offer that bunch you had a while ago to some other needy player.

Also, next time SPetty has a gathering, I'll have a new cue to show you. I'm having one built by Royce Bunnell with the OB1 attached, a sneaky pete with some flair. Maybe you'll hit Dallas before another PPH extraveganza and we can hook up...sid

walt8880
02-05-2006, 02:54 AM
I was just looking at this as a way to develop the a consistent stun stroke on the cue ball and solid impact on the head ball. Im my eight ball league, only head ball contact is allowed.

It seemed to me that, while not being a substitute for a full rack break, if I could develop a controlled stun break stroke that transferred all of the energy to the head ball, the cue ball should almost stop at the foot spot. The head ball should follow the same path every time if I am breaking from the same spot. Any action of the cue ball after impact or major alteration of the OB path should indicate that I did not shoot a stun stroke but put unwanted English on the CB or mis-hit the OB.

I was looking for way to develop stroke consistency, and thought this might be a good place to start.

Perhaps not though.

Scott Lee
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Scott...You need to PM or call Charley Bond, with your comments. It's possible that you're not using it correctly. He is very interested in comments, and like he said, none have anything but positive response, so far. I also have used the BreakRak, and consider it an excellent training device.

Scott Lee