PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for these used Olhausen tables?

Hud
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I am looking for a used "quality" table right now in the Dallas, Texas area in the $2000 and under range. (By "quality", I mean a table that will play well and I can improve on and it also looks nice, but doesn't have to be fancy or new.) After reading past threads on this forum for a while and getting some great advice from some earlier questions, I have been keeping an eye out for some used "quality" tables. (I have yet to see any used Gold Crowns or Diamonds advertised, but I have to admit that I have not taken the advice of visiting pool halls and asking around. I have limited my search to the classifieds and other online lists.)

There are currently three Olhausen tables that I've seen listed that I would appreciate any comments you might have. (I have not gone to see any of them, because I didn't want to do a lot of driving around without getting some kind of feedback from this forum first.)

Specifically, I would like to know if you think any of the following tables are worth buying and if so, how much are they worth?

Olhausen Plaza
Asking $2900. (New retail $8000.) 8 years old. Very nice condition (they say). By the way, there is a new floor model for sale close by for $3500.

Olhausen Remington
Asking $2500 (New retail $4500.) 3 years old. Excellent condition (they say). By the way, there is a new floor model for sale close by for a little over $3000.

Olhausen Reno
I know this probably shouldn't even be on the list since it is a 7/8" slate and is laminate, but I thought I'd at least get that assumption confirmed, before tossing it out.
Asking $2000. Only 4 months old. (Local retailer says he has a display model for "under $3000".)

I also have a couple of questions regarding a table mechanic/installer. How do you find a list of certified installers? If there isn't such a list, how can you verify that your installer is certified? (When I contacted manufacturers asking for a list of certified installers, they just directed me to their retail stores.)

Finally, how much should I expect to pay a table mechanic to evaluate a table?

Thanks!
Hud

SPetty
02-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Hud,

It's a long shot, but go to the For Sale forum at AZB and search for a post with the title "Gold Crown 1 in/around Dallas, TX". I say it's a long shot, because it was a couple of months ago, but the price was reasonable and he was having trouble finding interested buyers. But if he still has it, it's definitely worth looking into.

SpiderMan
02-03-2006, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hud:</font><hr> I am looking for a used "quality" table right now in the Dallas, Texas area in the $2000 and under range. (By "quality", I mean a table that will play well and I can improve on and it also looks nice, but doesn't have to be fancy or new.) After reading past threads on this forum for a while and getting some great advice from some earlier questions, I have been keeping an eye out for some used "quality" tables. (I have yet to see any used Gold Crowns or Diamonds advertised, but I have to admit that I have not taken the advice of visiting pool halls and asking around. I have limited my search to the classifieds and other online lists.)

There are currently three Olhausen tables that I've seen listed that I would appreciate any comments you might have. (I have not gone to see any of them, because I didn't want to do a lot of driving around without getting some kind of feedback from this forum first.)

Specifically, I would like to know if you think any of the following tables are worth buying and if so, how much are they worth?

Olhausen Plaza
Asking $2900. (New retail $8000.) 8 years old. Very nice condition (they say). By the way, there is a new floor model for sale close by for $3500.

Olhausen Remington
Asking $2500 (New retail $4500.) 3 years old. Excellent condition (they say). By the way, there is a new floor model for sale close by for a little over $3000.

Olhausen Reno
I know this probably shouldn't even be on the list since it is a 7/8" slate and is laminate, but I thought I'd at least get that assumption confirmed, before tossing it out.
Asking $2000. Only 4 months old. (Local retailer says he has a display model for "under $3000".)

I also have a couple of questions regarding a table mechanic/installer. How do you find a list of certified installers? If there isn't such a list, how can you verify that your installer is certified? (When I contacted manufacturers asking for a list of certified installers, they just directed me to their retail stores.)

Finally, how much should I expect to pay a table mechanic to evaluate a table?
Thanks!
Hud <hr /></blockquote>

Hud,

I'm in Dallas also. The tables you're looking at are probably nice, but if "new" ones are available from an authorized dealer for only $500 or $600 more I'd go that way. New tables from a dealer include installation and setup, so you wind up paying only a couple hundred more. This gets you a warranty, and a new table.

On the other hand, you can save some real money if you aren't in a hurry.

Use the Craigslist.org and DFW.forsale (Google groups) resources. Good deals do turn up there, and often actually survive long enough for you to discover and act on them. My personal experience has been that anything in the Morning News or other printed classifieds will be snatched up quickly if it's underpriced.

Having a table moved and re-felted by a qualified mechanic will probably run $350. The real figure will depend on table, choice of cloth, and location particulars. Also, I'm quoting a number from five years ago, so it may differ now. For that reason, though, a used table (in excellent condition) still isn't a bargain unless you get it $1000 below a comparable new table. None of the three you listed meet that criteria, as I assume the "new floor models" include installation, setup, and warranty.

There are several recommended table guys in the Dallas area. Sid Vicious has the phone number for at least one that he has used recently - send Sid a PM.

When you contact the table mechanic, ask him about used tables for sale. Often they know of several that are about to be available. He may put you onto a deal in order to get your business.

Drop by the 8:30 tournament tonight at Kelly's in Richardson and look me up. I look like the picture (6'3", dark brown hair, goatee), and will be wearing black jeans and a black polo. I may be able to put you onto some leads via guys at the tourney.

SpiderMan

ALLENJK
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
HUD , I know that Barry Emerson has several Brunswicks for sale inc a GC I. Give him a call at 214-734-0183 for more details.

Hud
02-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions, SpiderMan.
I sent Sid_Vicious the PM and I have taken a look at the sites you mentioned.

I agree with you about a used table needing to be significantly cheaper than a used one. I had planned on offering a lot less than the asking price, so we'll see what the sellers say.

I'm not sure, if I'll be able to make it to Kelly's tonight, but if my plans clear up, I'll definitely drop by and say hi.

Thanks again for the help!

Hud
02-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info, ALLENJK!

I'll give him a call.

OldieToo
02-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Go to a few better pool halls and ask who does their maintainence. I met a guy, while scoping out a Speeds in South Dallas (Red Bird area), that had several tables for sale. The two I remember were a Brunswick Crown 9ft with new Simonis cloth delivered and installed for $1800. The other was a 8ft Gandy, same deal...delivered and new cloth installed, for $900. Both tables are used, but they are garateed to be great playing with only minor cosmetic issues from being in a commercial atmosphere.

I don't have the guys card, but a friend does and I'll get his number and email address if you are interested.

Scott Lee
02-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Hud...You've gotten great advice, right in your own backyard. I second the Craigslist.com suggestion from Spiderman. However, I think the fact that you can likely get a Gold Crown, delivered and setup, with new cloth (ask for Simonis, and pay an extra $100 if you have to), for less than $2K is exactly what you want, and need. Good luck!

Scott Lee

Hud
02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
OldieToo,

Yes, I am very interested in the Gold Crown.
I will PM you my email address.

Thanks!
Hud