PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a "cocky" player how to win

Billy_Bob
02-04-2006, 10:02 AM
I made the mistake(?) of teaching a "cocky" player the basics of pool and how to win.

He behaves himself when he goes to tournaments with me because I told him to "tone it down" and be humble with his wins. (He got in the money at the last tournament I took him to.) I told him that opportunities could open up for him if he gained the respect of the other players.

Also that if he *had* to be cocky, then to do it at the local bar when playing for fun and get it out of his system, but that when he started winning games a lot, it would make some people mad, and a humble attitude would be best in these situations.

Well I went to the local bar and there he was, "holding the table", beating all comers time and time again. His "cockyness level" had increased 10 times. I think I have created a monster! Winning this much is new to him - he is like a kid in candyland.

Anyone else have experience with players like this? Do they eventually "grow up" and become more humble? Perhaps he just needs to learn on his own that this will get him into trouble?

wolfdancer
02-04-2006, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do they eventually "grow up" and become more humble? <hr /></blockquote>
Eventually everyone is humbled in this game

snook
02-04-2006, 12:12 PM
maybe you should pit him against somebody you know will give him a sever thumping?

to make sure he knows he's not that great after all.

Drop1
02-04-2006, 01:02 PM
This is obviously a troubled you man with deep feelings of inferiority. Dump his ass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tuke
02-04-2006, 03:26 PM
You should have beat him in front of everybody and let someone else take hold of his table

supergreenman
02-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I personally love to play cocky players. They lack caution and are easy to get to play for cash.

He'll get his. Everybody was young and cocky once.

J

walt8880
02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Usually "cocky"people in pool or anything else have an inferiority complex and enjoy publicly being better than everyone else in something.

He will get his due sooner or later. When I was young and playing for money, I loved nothing more than walking into a strange pooll hall and seeing someone like him. Just a hungry fish waiting to be caught.

He'll get thumped one day and I promise he will blame it on crooked sticks, unlevel tables, the sun in his eyes, and everything else but will never admit the other guy is a better player.

This will have to happen several times before the cockiness goes away.

Your decision is whether to set this up and speed it along or let nature take it's course, but it will happen.

FastJoey
02-05-2006, 12:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Do they eventually "grow up" and become more humble? <hr /></blockquote>
Eventually everyone is humbled in this game <hr /></blockquote>VERY WELL SAID&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Billy_Bob
02-05-2006, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tuke:</font><hr> You should have beat him in front of everybody and let someone else take hold of his table <hr /></blockquote>

Oh I did just that! Initially I just sat and watched - wanted to see what he had learned. Then the other players who he kept beating wanted me to play him (I wonder why? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), so I did and his cockyness suddenly evaporated.

After I beat him about three times in a row, he moved to another table, but then an old timer who is an excellent player came in and played on that table - kept beating him. So that removed any remaining cockyness.

... Anyway the "inferiority complex" thing makes a lot of sense. I keep trying to tell him that he will learn the most from losing. To play the best players again and again. Watch and learn what they are doing to win, etc. But he seems not to want to do this.

I look at things long term. I don't care if I lose again and again if I am learning something. Studying exactly what my opponent is doing to win. However this guy seems to want "instant gratification".

walt8880
02-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Your comment about playing people better and watching is right on target as a way to improve.

When I was young living in the US, I used to go to the pool room after work in the afternoons, when it was quiet and shoot straight pool with the manager of the pool room. He was one of the best players around, but no one else liked to play straight pool. We played, no money involved, he beat me like a drum and I learned a lot.

Am doing the same thing now, 35 years later and 10,000 miles away. Go to the pool room in the afternoon, play with the owner, who is also a teacher and learn from him. Only pay for table time and get 20% discount on that.

This week he is going to teach me to play snooker. My first time. Should be interesting.

joepool
02-15-2006, 08:49 AM
i have recent experience with such a player. She was a beginner a year ago, and the first day was convinced if she could make one ball, she could make them all. She was always obnoxious when she happened to win, which wasn't much, and she was a poor loser as well.
As the year progressed, she became better and her attitude with lots of "counselling" from me and "hard knocks" from some other players, has softened somewhat.
It's kind of a two sided coin; the confidence is great for her and the cockiness, overconfidence, is not.
I have become a MUCH better teacher from working with this student. I can say that much! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif