PDA

View Full Version : League - "Winning the Trip" Question

Cornerman
02-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Here's a question that I never thought of asking until, well, right now /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Our BCA-sanctioned league won "the trip" to the National tournament in Vegas in the first session of the year. It's now the finals of the second session, and if we win, we get cash.

If the other team wins, they win a trip to Vegas. When you look at the two prizes, our prize is significantly less than what they're playing for.

This has never happened to me before, and I'm at odds as to the fairness of this. We pay as much in dues as anyone else. Why should we get a lesser payoff? Shouldn't we get the cash equivalent of the trip? Does anyone else have the same or better situation in their league?

And there's really one more session and a couple more ways to "win the Trip" to go before the Vegas trip. So, we could really be in dire straights if we ... win?

Fred

snook
02-04-2006, 10:52 PM
i understand where your coming from...

but at the same time you should be happy that winning pays for you trip...

here you just get money towards your trip, not payed for in full...

not that i'll ever get to go...

Rich R.
02-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Fred, have you posed this question to your league operator, to see if he has any justification for the lower cash value?

I definitely don't think it is fair and I would like to know the LO's reasoning.

Cornerman
02-05-2006, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Fred, have you posed this question to your league operator, to see if he has any justification for the lower cash value?
<hr /></blockquote>It came up last year when another team had the same issue. It's been brought up many times this year, usually with a lot of steam, with no change.

Fred

Scott Lee
02-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Fred...How about circulating a petition to "adjust" how the payout works, in these instances? If you have a majority of league players sign the petition, the L.O. will be forced to change. Naturally, the threat of leaving and starting your own league will be the lead factor, as an indication of the disatisfaction of most of the players. Seems to me that most, if not all, would sign...unless the same group of people win every year (like it is where I live). When that happens, it's often only the people directly affected (like your team) that get angry enough to want some action taken. Best of luck!

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
02-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Fred,

Are you certain that you know what your LO really pays for the trip? Perhaps some of the airfare/hotel/etc is promotionial if he arranged far in advance.

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
02-06-2006, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> Here's a question that I never thought of asking until, well, right now /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Our BCA-sanctioned league won "the trip" to the National tournament in Vegas in the first session of the year. It's now the finals of the second session, and if we win, we get cash.

If the other team wins, they win a trip to Vegas. When you look at the two prizes, our prize is significantly less than what they're playing for.

This has never happened to me before, and I'm at odds as to the fairness of this. We pay as much in dues as anyone else. Why should we get a lesser payoff? Shouldn't we get the cash equivalent of the trip? Does anyone else have the same or better situation in their league?

And there's really one more session and a couple more ways to "win the Trip" to go before the Vegas trip. So, we could really be in dire straights if we ... win?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

There's no way you can make a judgement call on that without first getting all the facts. You have to get them from the League Owner and the group has to insist on it.

There are a couple of possible scenarios:

For example: Does the team have to win in order to get the trip? If your team won, would the second place team win the trip? If the trip is the main feature of the league, then the prize fund would have to be raised in order to pay the cash equivalent, or market value, and that may not be possible. For example: with a WPBA qualifier, if the winner already won the spot in another qualifier, but wins this qualifier, they don't get the cash value of the spot. That spot will go to the next unqualified player.

Also, the cost value of the trip may not equal the market value of the trip.

League owners of privately owned leagues don't generally like to share financial information with the group since that may reveal how much profit they're making on the league, which might spark some complaints. However, the league owner does owe the group some sort of explanation and it would be foolish for them to totally ignore the situation without addressing it.

It may not be that cut-and-dry for the cash equivalent to be awarded. On the other hand, it may be possible to award the cash equivalent, but the league owner will have to share a certain amount of information in order to satisfy the players.

Fran

Cornerman
02-06-2006, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Fred,

Are you certain that you know what your LO really pays for the trip? Perhaps some of the airfare/hotel/etc is promotionial if he arranged far in advance.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>No, I'm not sure, but we received the itinerary last year which included the air fare. So, it's not like we're being deceived.

Fred