PDA

View Full Version : Poll on Newbie suggestions..

Tom_In_Cincy
06-30-2002, 08:42 PM
If a beginning player were to ask you what do you think is the first thing they should learn to be a better pool player, what would you say?

06-30-2002, 09:01 PM
ok, i voted but then i got to thinking about it while i was practicing stupid 1-pocket banks.

what i really think, and it does fit one of your categories, is get him/her to invest, whatever it is 8-10$ in the bca official rules etc. book. it's got a nice, time tested, basic instruction on the stance, stroke and aiming. then i'd tell the person to take the book and find a table by himself for at least a couple of sessions before doing anything else.

well, also i was going to suggest that i would tell the person to give me $20.00. if they did it, i'd suggest they take up bowling or darts.

dan

Cueless Joey
06-30-2002, 09:05 PM
I voted for a qualified instructor. Problem is, there aren't that many good instructors out there. Frankly, in my area a good number of them are of no help.

PQQLK9
06-30-2002, 09:11 PM
I voted for a Qualified Instructor....some railbirds will qualify...

stickman
06-30-2002, 09:14 PM
I voted to find a qualified instructor. I wish I had started out learning to do things the right way. If I had had the foresight to do this, I probably would be much farther along than I am currently. It's much easier to learn to do something the right way initially as to have to unlearn years of doing something wrong and then learn the right way. I would suggest this before bad habits become firmly entrenched. I doubt that this actually happens that often, but if a person knew when they took up the game that they intended to become very serious, this would be the way to start in my opinion.

Doctor_D
07-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Good morning:

A qualified instructor / coach and practice, practice, practice.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
07-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Definitely, find a QUALIFIED instructor. I wish I new there was such a thing, years ago, when I started playing pool. Then I would not have so damn many bad habits. Rich R.

Thierry Layani
07-01-2002, 09:44 AM
Watch top pro players, preferably live. That's how I learned to play. Mimetism is a very efficient way to learn. Actually, that's how kids manage to learn so fast.
Forget the mind, our body is more intelligent.
Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

Scott Lee
07-01-2002, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> I voted to find a qualified instructor.
I doubt that this actually happens that often, but if a person knew when they took up the game that they intended to become very serious, this would be the way to start in my opinion. <hr></blockquote>

Stickman...Whether your intention is to become a serious player, or just have a little recreational fun, a session with a qualified instructor is worth it's weight in gold...
in terms of enjoyment of the game, if nothing else! Books and videos are great, but they cannot replace the live person, right there observing you one-to-one, and making pertinent suggestions to improve things immediately. Taking a lesson, should, if done correctly, take months, or even years, off of the learning curve, for the student.
IMO, anyone who has any indication of wanting their own cue, should invest in a lesson to learn how to use it properly!

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
07-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi Tom,

I voted for a Qualified instructor. Although, There were no such thing when I was coming up. They have to learn proper stroke mechanics. I know someone will read this and think. What about Efren?

I know how to master bad mechanics. Mastering bad mechanics takes triple the time, then to master good ones from the start. Why, go through the trial and error. Why, go through the adjust this and replace this? When, you get on the right track to begin with? The next thing I would suggest is using your imagination to see the lines. Watch players to see how they menuver. Lastly, don't listen to every player that walks up while practicing. They might not know anymore than you do. I would then suggest they learn ph educate with the rules of play.

Regards,

C.C.~~good post Tom.

Cueless Joey
07-01-2002, 10:39 AM
Why do baseball teams have batting and pitching coaches? LOL

07-01-2002, 01:00 PM
partial snip:

ok, i voted but then i got to thinking about it while i was practicing stupid 1-pocket banks.
.................................................. .........

Is 1 pocket banks the same as 1 pocket? Or is it 1 pocket and you have to bank all the balls?