PDA

View Full Version : breaking with main cue

skinEwil
02-04-2006, 01:41 PM
i just got done reading the thread on break sticks. wasn't sure whether to attach my Q to that thread or start a new one - the Q is a little different and i didn't wanna hijack someones thread with my first post on here.

what's the problem breakin with yer play cue? i see the potential for cracked ferules or lost tips, but isn't this cured by carrying a back up shaft? is there any risk of damaging any other part of the cue (joint, shaft)?

i have what most would consider a cheap cue, but i like it alot. i've been breaking with it and have started to wonder if maybe that's not a great idea.

or is the only logic behind a bread stick that it's better for breaking?

thanx

Sid_Vicious
02-04-2006, 02:49 PM
For years I bought and carried breakers but lately I do break with my play cue, and it's sweet! Frankly speaking I have to agree except that some break cues are engineered better for the break. I believe what you will find is that many people have paranoia about any little bitty things(tip malformation, ets) which can affect their success, and they adopt the BC for that reason. I will also say though that if you use softer tips that you would want to use another cue for breaking, but I use hard layeered tips, and they don't change from hard hits. Jm2c...sid

BLACKHEART
02-04-2006, 03:29 PM
I've been making Qs for 20 yrs & if it ain't good enough to break with it ain't no good...JER

Scott Lee
02-04-2006, 05:13 PM
tap,tap,tap! Amen JER!

Scott Lee

Drop1
02-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I like to break with my playing cue. The biggest problems I have had with shafts,is a little warpage.

Fran Crimi
02-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Some say the constant pounding isn't good for the joint, and yes, ferrules can crack. I think the main concern is the tip. If you break enough with it, it will flatten out, regardless of how hard the tip is. A flat tip is okay for breaking but it's terrible for playing.

I've never seen anyone switch shafts to break but I'm sure that if they did, it would eventually be declared illegal. It's too disruptive to the match.

Fran

ryushen21
02-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Some of the people that i know use a break cue, especially of the phenolic tip variety, because for them it takes some of the english off of their break. or so they say. but these are guys who use lots of english pretty much no matter what the shot.

Paul_Mon
02-05-2006, 05:45 AM
I have used my playing cue for breaking many times. It does an adequate job and no harm has come of it. I do own and use a break cue exclusively for 9 ball. It is lighter in weight and has a larger, flatter,extremely harder tip than my playing cue. It breaks better than my playing cue and thats why I'll continue to use it.

Paul Mon

Rich R.
02-05-2006, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I like to break with my playing cue. The biggest problems I have had with shafts,is a little warpage. <hr /></blockquote>Breaking with a cue will not cause the shaft to warp. If your shafts warped, they would have warped whether you used the cue for breaking or not.

Sid_Vicious
02-05-2006, 07:48 AM
My Moori Quick has not changed in roundness from breaking, and being laminated and hard, it won't IMO. That's the nature of those layered animals. As far as switching shafts being deemed disruptive to the game,,,you might as well make disassembling BJ cues and going to the case for extensions. They are all specialty shots, the break included, so how could one override the other as disruptive? Even getting the jumper out and screwing it together would be disruptive, so do we say that any assembly has to be done prematch and not altered else it is distruptive? I see nothing wrong with retro-fitting your cue for the break by switching shafts, and I have seen it done on numerous occasions locally...sid

OldieToo
02-05-2006, 09:17 AM
I break with my cues....and they are worth more than the tables Im playing on...haha. If you can't break with them...don't buy them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ceebee
02-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I started out playing with a house cue &amp; BREAK CUE BALL... yep, they really had such a thing. 45 years later, I have a Break Cue (several) &amp; a play Cue (several). I don't like beating up my play tip. That's my viewpoint. I'm sure my play cues are good enough to break with, but I like different tools for different jobs. I really don't like marring a good play accidentally.

If you are a match player &amp; you wager $50 to $500 (or more) on a set... what the hell is $250 for an extra cue that you can use for 10 years (if you are one of those keeper people)

Snapshot9
02-06-2006, 01:33 AM
A couple of other points:
1) Break cues have a different taper, usually stiffer, which is better for breaking. I can stand a thicker shaft for breaking, but have to have pro taper on playing cue.
2) I am not too tall, and have hit the cue on the rail or cushion as I break, which mars either side of the cue above or below the joint. IMO, a little marring on a break cue is better than it being on a playing cue.
3) A good breaking cue pays for itself over time.

Fran Crimi
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> My Moori Quick has not changed in roundness from breaking, and being laminated and hard, it won't IMO. That's the nature of those layered animals. As far as switching shafts being deemed disruptive to the game,,,you might as well make disassembling BJ cues and going to the case for extensions. They are all specialty shots, the break included, so how could one override the other as disruptive? Even getting the jumper out and screwing it together would be disruptive, so do we say that any assembly has to be done prematch and not altered else it is distruptive? I see nothing wrong with retro-fitting your cue for the break by switching shafts, and I have seen it done on numerous occasions locally...sid <hr /></blockquote>

First, it depends on how hard and how often you break as to when your tip will start to flatten. I've been using break cues since we started playing 9-ball on tour, and with even the hardest of tips the break cue tips are flatter. There is no question about it. The break shot will pound down the tip.

Second, yes, it is definitely a distraction to keep stopping the game to change shafts. That's not what the rule was intended for.

Fran