PDA

View Full Version : When to re-surface table?

kevinkins
02-05-2006, 07:22 AM
My first post. I have been playing pool a long time. We moved into a home with a finished basement last year and since then established a "sports bar" with an 8 foot table.
Of course being on a tight buget we went for a average table - American Heritage. Im sure the cloth is average too. But we are having a blast so Im glad we did not wait to buy a better table.

Anyway, when should I consider re-surfacing the table? Perhaps with better cloth. Perhaps when is worn.

Also, should the table be re-leveled professionally once a year?

Kevin

Billy_Bob
02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
If you play in tournaments and you have a different cloth than most of the places which hold the tournaments, then replace it now with the same cloth.

If you don't play in tournaments, then no reason to replace it now.

Then "looks". If this table is in an area of your house where "looks" is important and the cloth looks shabby, then replace it so it looks nice. My table is in my garage, so I could care less what it looks like.

I replace my cloth only when it gets a hole which will alter the path of balls. If I replaced it for "looks", I would be replacing it every 6 months....

Billy_Bob
02-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Also so far as leveling goes, I at first kept my table perfectly level. I learned to shoot very slow accurate shots. Then I played in a tournament on a table which was not level, shot a very slow shot, and the cue ball totally missed the object ball due to the table being unlevel.

So I no longer keep my table perfectly level. Being a little unlevel can be a good thing!

Sid_Vicious
02-05-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm replacing my Simonas now not because it is worn out from 4+ years of home use, but because it is convenient. The table had to be disassembled for another reason, so the material cost of cloth is petty(to me) compared to the pleasure of having brand new cloth. Basically though the cloth change wouldn't have happened unless there was an effect of ball movement due to holes or worn features in the old cloth, or simply my decision to go to a different cloth.

Billy_Bob hit on the main reasons I'd change(and have changed) old but still viable cloth. Going to Simonas from the heavier nap'd cloth is a godsend IMPO, plus I play on that cloth for competition if given a chance.

No I would not have a table leveled every year unless I had a floor or table prone to shift during that time, otherwise I'd wait until I notice a roll off and then address re-leveling. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Jm2c...sid

Btw, just because you opponent says "That ball rolled off" doesn't make it so, consider the source. Many players want something to blame besides themselves. sv

kevinkins
02-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Guys

Thanks for the quick response .. looks like Iam good to go for a long while. My table gets used about 6-8 hours a week - its not heavily used I think.

BTW is there some way to measure "roll off" ie ball speed and distance to the object ball etc.

Scott Lee
02-05-2006, 10:35 AM
kevinkins...If you can shoot the CB in a straight line, you can shoot a slow shot (lag speed), down both sides of the table, about 2-3 inches off the side rail. If you have a tough time shooting the CB, you can also use a stripe, and place the stripe vertical (that will show up any inconsistency in your stroke, because the stripe won't remain upright, and will spin...wobbling a little is okay). If the table rolls off, the CB will either roll into the corner pocket or roll out more towards the middle of the table. That will give you a good indication of what to do to "level" the table. Many tables come with table legs that 'screw' up or down (you have to lift the table up slightly to take the weight off the leg to do this). If you have no ready adjustment, you'll need to put some sort of shims under the low side of the table. I have used playing cards, a couple at a time, under one leg or the other, to satify a slight roll, when the legs had no other adjustment options.

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Scott, I'm wondering...if I take BB's advice, and not keep my table level, and
it developes a lean to the left, but the tournament table that I play on leans right....by how much would I miss a long straight in shot?

Scott Lee
02-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Jack...None!...as long as you shoot break speed, and holler sh*t! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scott

kevinkins
02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
I am a bit surprised there is no specification on level for tournament tables. Perhaps in major events? Is there a systimatic way to approach an unknown table a determine the table roll before a match starts?

Kevin