PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball on the break

06-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Very simple. I would just like to know how to make the 9 on the break on a 9 foot table. I know you pro's out there know how so if you could share your knowledge in every little detail it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

john bastian in pa

PQQLK9
06-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Hit the 1 ball solid 34 times....9 goes on an avg. 1 in 34 times...

Jay M
06-30-2002, 09:52 PM
This question comes up about every week or two. Search the archives and I'm sure you'll find out just about everything you ever wanted to know about breaking and racking 9 ball.

Jay M

Scott Lee
07-01-2002, 10:25 AM
PQQLK9...Finally! Someone with both a reasonable, and truthful answer! I thought we put this issue to bed with the 8 on the break thread! LOL You're correct that the 9 on the break is a 3% shot...pretty low odds if you ask me!

Scott Lee

phil in sofla
07-01-2002, 12:16 PM
This is Eva Mataya Lawrence's theory.

Break from a couple of inches off the side rail, and instead of hitting the 1 full as seen from that position, favor hitting more of the top side of the 1, a little. Maybe a 1/4 of the ball over. That is, if breaking from the left side, aim a little right of the center of the ball compared to a full hit, opposite, if from the left side.

It's almost like a combo shot. The 1 is driven into the next ball in the second row, and it pushes the 9 toward the foot pocket.

Just like in the second ball 8-ball break, this will get the 9 rolling more often than not, but there are two downsides.

First, by hitting the 1 less than full, you lose control of where the cue ball goes. Second, by rolling the 9 toward a foot pocket, you may be setting up an early combo on the 9 when it doesn't go (which will be most of the time), and perhaps you won't be the one shooting it.

You have to decide if those tradeoffs are worth it. Good shooting!

07-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Let me add my question here. In the Thur 7 & under handicap tournament they have a hot shot. It is up to about $525. He draws some names based on the number of entrants in the tournament. The tournament only cost $10. And these people each get 1 chance to make the 9 ball on the break without scratching to win the pool. So far he's been drawing 2 or 3 each names each week.

I break from about 1" or 2" behind the headstring. And about 2" to 4" to the right side of center. I used a closed bridge and never had a strong break. I don't scratch often. And I'm happy if I hear just a little snap or the cue makes a little bobble when striking the one. Nowhere near the power of any of the pros or any strong breaker. And I just hit the 1 ball full. If my name is ever drawn would it be stupid to shoot basically this same way but to add a lot of follow through. Hoping the cue would hit the 1 ball and as the rack scatters it's follow through might luckily get the 9 ball to move?

phil in sofla
07-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Getting overspin (top) on the cue ball is taking energy from the hit on the rack. The top spin the cue ball has is energy you put on it, that remains on the ball after the rack is hit. The cue ball's going through the rack has almost no force compared to the first hit, and is a bad tradeoff for less energy on the initial impact with the rack.

Jay M
07-01-2002, 03:15 PM
I used to use a soft break for a game that they call "Carom 9 ball" in which you get a point for playing off the current legal ball and caroming into the 9. My break was from the headstring and the outside diamond with top inside english and a smooth stroke, Aim to hit the very top of the 1 ball. the balls scatter a little bit, but nothing will move the 9 ball. the cue comes off the far rail and kicks into the 9 sending it towards the corner pocket on the side you broke from. Note that I don't advocate this break for competition as you will NOT make a ball unless it is the 9. For a hot shot attempt, that would be my break of choice.

Jay M