PDA

View Full Version : If you were having a custom break cue built...

UWPoolGod
02-06-2006, 04:53 PM
...what specifications would you have? Length, weight, phenolic/leather tip, shaft diameter, joint collars material, Rock Maple/Ash shaft? Would you have one solid piece of wood for the butt? I am considering having a break cue built and would like to hear your thoughts on its design. Thanks! Post pictures of yours if ya got em.

Shorty
02-07-2006, 07:09 AM
I currently have a Jacoby break cue which I really like. You don't see many of them out there, but I think they are excellent break cues. This is not a jump/break, but a true break cue. Tip is phenolic, similar to the kind on a Stinger. It has a 13+mm shaft...only slightly larger than a regular shaft. It has a flat laminated butt and shaft. 3/8-10 wood to wood joint. The main part that I like is the shaft weighs 4 ounces and the butt weighs 14 ounces, very light and forward balanced. I can really stick whitey if I need to and I get good cue speed on the break. I like the phenolic tips better because they hold their shape much better than a leather tip. I have had to do some experimenting between different phenolic tips though because they all don't hold chalk evenly. I also tend to like my tip a little flat in the middle for breaking.

Hope that helps,
Shorty

ceebee
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I have 3 different Break Cues, all of which are also used by my customers when trying my products at tournaments. These cues are all 3 years old plus.

I have a Predator BK, hard laminated leather tip, which is like 12.8MM, break cue taper, 58 inches long & weighs 19oz.

I have a Auerbach Custom Break Cue, hard laminated leather tip, which is like 13.5MM, break cue taper, 58 inches long & weighs 19oz.

I have a Sledgehammer II, phenolic tip, which is 13MM, break cue taper, 58 inches long & weighs 18.5oz.

All of these cue are great & they are all praised by our customers.

Bassn7
02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
#1 .5 - 1 oz lighter than your shooting cue. You want maximum cue speed, not weight.

a. All maple
b. No inlays
c. No wrap
d. Phenolic if you're a head ball breaker.
e. Extra hard leather tip if you're a second ball 8-ball breaker.
f. Joint is personal choice.

Rich R.
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> ...what specifications would you have? Length, weight, phenolic/leather tip, shaft diameter, joint collars material, Rock Maple/Ash shaft? Would you have one solid piece of wood for the butt? I am considering having a break cue built and would like to hear your thoughts on its design. Thanks! Post pictures of yours if ya got em. <hr /></blockquote>

Let me ask the stupid question of the day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

With all of the high quality, relatively inexpensive, break and jump break cues on the market, why would you want to have one custom made? IMHO, just find one you like and go for it.

I have a couple. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like a custom cue as much, or more, than the next guy. Some on this board can vouch for that. I just don't see the point in putting a lot of money into a custom break cue. I would love to know your reasons for wanting one.

UWPoolGod
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
No real reason, just been thinking about it. I have tried the Predator BK and my friends phenolic tipped break cue and was curioous to what people thought is desirable in a break cue. I may just purchase an on the market one.

Bob C
02-07-2006, 09:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> ...what specifications would you have? Length, weight, phenolic/leather tip, shaft diameter, joint collars material, Rock Maple/Ash shaft? Would you have one solid piece of wood for the butt? I am considering having a break cue built and would like to hear your thoughts on its design. Thanks! Post pictures of yours if ya got em. <hr /></blockquote>

Let me ask the stupid question of the day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

With all of the high quality, relatively inexpensive, break and jump break cues on the market, why would you want to have one custom made? IMHO, just find one you like and go for it.

I have a couple. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like a custom cue as much, or more, than the next guy. Some on this board can vouch for that. I just don't see the point in putting a lot of money into a custom break cue. I would love to know your reasons for wanting one. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich, I can't speak for others, but I have purchased a couple of custom break/jump cues because I wanted to have ones that matched (without inlays) my custom playing cues. Beyond that, there are plenty of great Toyotas and Hondas on the market so you might ask why anyone would want to buy a Mercedes or a Porsche? For some a cue is just a tool, others enjoy owning something nice to look at as well.

Rich R.
02-08-2006, 04:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob C:</font><hr> Rich, I can't speak for others, but I have purchased a couple of custom break/jump cues because I wanted to have ones that matched (without inlays) my custom playing cues. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red">Bob, this is a very acceptable reason, IMO. I was just curios about UWPoolGod's reason for wanting a custom break cue. I don't want to imply that there is anything wrong with getting a custom breaker, if that is what you want. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob C:</font><hr> Beyond that, there are plenty of great Toyotas and Hondas on the market so you might ask why anyone would want to buy a Mercedes or a Porsche? For some a cue is just a tool, others enjoy owning something nice to look at as well. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> Although my taste is more along the lines of BMW /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I understand your point. I have a few playing cues in the Mercedes and Porsche catagory, I just choose to break with a Chevy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>