PDA

View Full Version : AZ fireworks

Keith Talent
02-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Looks like firefight between a few posters and John Schmidt may have caused a shutdown over at AZ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Insults were getting personal in a back-and-forth session, and JS suggested it was getting into slander territory. Now AZ's down, it seems. Anybody else been following that thread over there on his scrap with Viking Tour? Amazing reading. Bet he wishes he'd skipped that golf game about now.

Upon further review, AZ back up. Must have been a hiccup. Crazy stuff, though.

Rich R.
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
I have read some of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know the thread was started because of John quitting a Viking tournament, after someone had paid $400 for him in the calcutta, or "player auction". I don't really care about the calcutta issue, but, from that thread and others, it seems to me that John is setting a pattern of being a quitter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Keith Talent
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I don't really care about the calcutta issue, but, from that thread and others, it seems to me that John is setting a pattern of being a quitter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, he comes off as a good guy, even tried to explain himself several times, but the facts are the facts. Enter a tournament and don't finish what you started, whatever the reasons (aside from a legit injury), it doesn't look so good.

nAz
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Calcuttas can be a drag... people dumping matches or splitting pots, but
what can you do it is a part of the game around here, i think it actually helps draw more players and fan to tournaments.

Scott Lee
02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Rich...You need to read the entire thread. JS did not quit the tournament. He asked for a later match time, so that he could golf with some influential people, but was denied that request by Mike Janis. Consequently JS missed his first match, but figured he could just forfeit, and come back to play on the loser's side of the bracket (from which he has won tournaments before). He had no knowledge of the "fine", nor the eventual consequences of missing that first match. He stated catagorically that he was not trying to intentionally dump on the person who bought him in the calcutta. Not trying to take sides here, but wanted to set a couple of things straight.

Scott

Keith Talent
02-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey Scott,

I was just digging through that deep pile over there (201 replies now), and Mike Janis said in his last post that JS was already on the left side, that he'd lost, I think, to Shawn Putnam, and was one of a few guys who came asking for a break on match time. Janis states he warned JS what would happen if he skipped out, but perhaps JS decided to dare him to follow through? Or there was a failure to communicate???

And somewhere in there JS admits that the "influential" people that one poster called them were, in fact, Johnny Archer and Corey Deuel.

Keith Talent
02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Scott, I took a look through again ... here's part of Janis' post, No. 156! I believe:

After reading as much as I could on this thread I assume that some think JS never played a match at the event in question. If he didn't play in the opening rounds this wouldn't be an issue. I would have simply gave the funds back to the person that posted the fee.

JS did play Putnam in the opening round but lost and hit the 1-loss side. That's when the I want to go glofing with JA came into play. Additionally, several other professional players made the same request as JS because they were all going to the same place. However, JS was the only one that made the decision to forfeit out of the pool event.

To JS........ We had this discussion at the event. You were specifically told of the penalties for such actions. You and CD made the exact same request about the golfing situation and I specifically mentioned to you that you would be making a bad choice. If you recall, I told you to ask CD about this because he was on a similar ban a few years ago on the Viking Tour.

Rich R.
02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Keith. I was going to respond to Scott, but you beat me to it. Scott may not have kept up with the more recent posts in that thread.

Scott, this is at least the third time, that I have heard/read about JS quitting tournaments or matches early.
I always liked John and he plays a great game, but I have lost a lot of respect for him lately, because of this pattern of quitting.

IMHO, you sign up to play in a tournament and you play your best until you get knocked out. That is just the way it is. It is a commitment you make. You don't quit a match or a tournament, just because things aren't going your way.

I also have to say that no player should expect a TD to alter the tournament schedule to satisfy their personal schedule. When John signed up to play, except for an emergency, his time should have been devoted to playing in the tournament. JMHO.

Scott Lee
02-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Rich &amp; Keith...You're right, I had not read the last 80+ posts from Sunday and yesterday. Geez...what a mess. Guess I'm guilty of my own correction, Rich! LOL

Scott

Snapshot9
02-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Guess JS figured it would be too much like work after losing his first match, and wanted to go do something more fun.
I guess $12,000 first place was not enough to justify a honest
effort.

John_Madden
02-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Scott
Off the subject - you going to be in MT on 17th, 18th and 19th? Memorial tournament in Kalispell. Jeff Boucher from Bozeman, Dan Hamper from Helena and about 90 others (including the Canadians)will be there. Should be fun - at the Frontline - prime rib dinner at 7:00pm (part of the $30 entry). Still amazes me how far these MT players will drive in the winter (and mostly at night), then find a place to stay for 2 nights and still show up for work on Monday morning.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

Scott Lee
02-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Jack...Won't be able to make that tournament. Sorry!

Scott

Vagabond
02-08-2006, 10:37 PM
regards the calcutta and this poster was saying that the law will be looking at these calcuttas at the pool tournaments.Then everybody started attacking this poster.One poster even said snitches end up in ditches.is it a threat?The things are rough in AZB right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DebraLiStarr
02-09-2006, 12:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> things are rough in AZB right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

...and I had nothing to do with it!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Congratulations! LOL

DG - head of the Mickey Mouse Club

supergreenman
02-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I just love it when they delete entire threads over there. All this stink over gambling. You'd think it was illigal or something.

Anyways, I truly believe the government has no place in regulating morality. People always have and are always going to: gamble, drink, have sex and do drugs. Prohibition didn't work, drug laws often are more harmfull than some of the drugs they prohibit, the government has a double standard when it comes to gambling. It's ok if we(the government) run it but don't you dare do compete with us.

That being said, I do feel that gambling is harmfull to the sport in the form of calcuttas because they often influence the outcome of a tournament. Personal matchups for money are a different story, it's just an agreement between 2 parties.

I do think there should be a way to involve spectators in a tournament, some sort of lottery where players are drawn after everybody pays the same price could be a solution. If the players all go for the same price and there is no control over gets which player would cut down if not eliminate players dumping and all the other things that go along with calcuttas. could be something like a 50/50 where half the money gets added to the prize pool for players and the person(s) with the ticket for the winning player(s) get the other half.

hhmmmm I think I'm ranting um or rambling, I should end it here.

James

DickLeonard
02-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Debra it reads like you have a guilty conscienus, just kidding nice to see your back posting.####