PDA

View Full Version : verry helpfull

studdyhalllooser
02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
i have started practicing my stroke with a beer bottle. not sure where i read to do this from but placing the bottle on its side on a table, or anything for that matter, and practicing your stroke with the bottle about 6 inches from your bridge. as you get familiar with it move the bottle slightly further from your bridge. i have only been doing this about a week now and have noticed a BIG diference with my follow thru and overall controll of the ball....my long shots have been most improved...thanks whoever told me to do this

skinEwil
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
lemme make sure i'm understanding you, correctly. you place the bottle on it's side with the opening facing you, then stroke your cue into the opening of the bottle?

wow, this makes sense. i've never heard of this before, but i appreciate the tip (if that's what you meant). i plan on trying this later tonight /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

snook
02-07-2006, 03:29 PM
move it away from you as you get better?

maybe i'm wrong but i thought that your stroke should end your cue tip on the table at finish? how does it help with that?

OldieToo
02-07-2006, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> move it away from you as you get better?

maybe i'm wrong but i thought that your stroke should end your cue tip on the table at finish? how does it help with that? <hr /></blockquote>yeh...and it should have a two inch bend it the shaft as well...like a sledgehammer break!

JK!

The bottle trick was told to me back the mid eighties...it is a great practice tool, but makes pool hall owners a li'l nervous. hahaha

Bob_Jewett
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr>... maybe i'm wrong but i thought that your stroke should end your cue tip on the table at finish? how does it help with that? <hr /></blockquote>
The bottle drill will help you move your stick like a piston -- perfectly along a straight line. This requires a very complicated elbow motion. For a lot of strokes, it seems to be better to keep your elbow still -- not dropping and rising and dropping like the piston motion requires.

Here is a little tool to replace the bottle: take a 3x5 index card, the kind with horizontal lines. Cut a slot into the center of the card parallel to the lines and a little wider than the diameter of your shaft, using the lines to help guide the cut. Bend the slot 90 degrees. Bend the uncut part of the card 90 degrees the other way. Now if you set the card on the table with the "ears" sticking up, you will have slot to practice stroking through, and it's OK to keep your elbow still. Tape the cut card to a whole card as a base to make it more stable.

Two articles about elbow movement with diagrams is available at:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-02.pdf

and

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-03.pdf

studdyhalllooser
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
interesting that you say that. i was shooting last night and noticed my elbow moving more than i would like. but on the other hand when i keep my elbow still and use just my arm, i tend to jerk my damn arm in the follow thru.

Snapshot9
02-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I am old school, but this works too, and can be used anytime you are at a Pool room. Just put a dime 14" in front of you and practice stroking. Your cue should dip at the end onto the dime. If your tip is jumping around all over the place, your stroke is off. When your tip is consistently landing on the dime, particularly the center of it, your stroke is looking good. Hint: concentrate on being smooth.