PDA

View Full Version : $300

studdyhalllooser
02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
i made a post a few days ago regarding the diference between a meucci red dot and black dot shaft. it seems that most of you dont like meucci for whatever reason, so my question is...$300, whats the best cue out there? i supose its all a personal opinion but still...opinions??? facts???

Leviathan
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Mezz makes a couple of good cues in that price range; they feature nice fit, finish, weight distribution, shaft taper, and a Moori tip. The ZZ-SP is wrapless, has a stainless steel joint collar, and is available for $268. The EC-R has a linen wrap and a phenolic joint collar and is available for $299. I've got an EC-R--like it a lot.--AS

Icon of Sin
02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Bob Frey custom sneaky petes, save up about 50 more. www.cuesnthings.com (http://www.cuesnthings.com)

Fantastic cues. It is my primary cue now.

snook
02-07-2006, 11:49 AM
i know a lot of people dont like meucci's around here... i really like them on the whole... esp for 300 and under... plus you can get some great condition meuccies for that range.... i have owned/shot with a few different meucci's in my day and i have yet to be dissapointed.

just thought i would let you know.

Deeman3
02-07-2006, 11:54 AM
If cues that have inlays that pop out an occasional warped shafts and a wimpy hit, the Meucci is not a badstick.

This being said, there are a of people out there that love ans swear by them.

Deeman

studdyhalllooser
02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks for the input guys. right now im playing with a players butterfly sneeky pete....nothing special but there arnt many people around here that can beet me with it...im comfterble (cant spell sorry) with it but want to upgrade to something better. i was told i can get a meucci sneeky pete for around 100. just want to find out about a few more cue brands as everyone around here swears by meucci.
next, i have a le pro tip (i think thats what its called). most people around here tell me a morri (dont know if thats how its spelled) is sooo much better. any input on tips?
thanks again
Jay

hondo
02-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Production-wise... I feel joss makes a nice stick.
I bought an almost new Leonard Bludworth sneaky
pete on ebay for $200. Not much to look at but
it's a great hitting stick. He sells them new for $350.
I too have heard you can't beat a Bob Frey sneaky pete.
If you like a stiff hitting cue, Clint Putnam makes
beautiful custom cues in the $200-$300 range.
Also on ebay check out used Jacksons. Nice cues
possibly in that range. Also if you look around
you can find pretty nice new McDermotts at about
30 or 40% of their msrp.
The old Meuccis were great. The new ones are
apparently not.

studdyhalllooser
02-07-2006, 12:58 PM
i have been doing a little internet surfing and it seems that the more expensive cues are the "prettier" ones. charging for more elaborate inlays and what not. i dont care what the cue looks like, it could be pink for all i care, as long as its a quality/good striking cue. and yes i do prefer a stiff cue so i may look into his sneeky petes. any help on tips?

thanks again
Jay

Brian in VA
02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I like the hit of Lucasi for the price range you've specified. You can get them used for far less than that and brand new for around that price. The first one I bought I now use as a break stick. Best $100 I ever spent.

Brian in VA

ChrisOnline
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr> thanks for the input guys. right now im playing with a players butterfly sneeky pete....nothing special but there arnt many people around here that can beet me with it...im comfterble (cant spell sorry) with it but want to upgrade to something better. i was told i can get a meucci sneeky pete for around 100. just want to find out about a few more cue brands as everyone around here swears by meucci.
next, i have a le pro tip (i think thats what its called). most people around here tell me a morri (dont know if thats how its spelled) is sooo much better. any input on tips?
thanks again
Jay <hr /></blockquote>
try and find a meucci sneaky pete for around $100 bux.. it will be super hard unless its been used.. about 3 years ago.. Meucci raised the price on their sneaky pete cues to a $220 retail price also.. they discontinued making them i believe but from what i understand there is like this HUGE stockpile of them so there will never be a shortage..lol..

anyways.. IMO, moori tips are top notch.. they have an awesome feel and great for english and just playability.. also.. its MY opinion, moori tips arent for everybody.. i will admit that i go through periods where i like to use my shaft with a plain tip on it (its probably a lepro) and i put my shaft with the moori on it away..

again.. its all in personal opinion...

i will tell you this.. you put a moori tip on your cheap sneaky pete and it will change it.. most likley for the better... before you go out and spend 300 on a new cue.. spend $20 on a new tip..

also.. the price of a moori tip also depends on availability.. this never happens to any other cue tips on the market just moori..

ALSO.. last one.. i promise.. be very careful about who you buy your moori tip from.. its been known that ppl sell FAKE moori's... i am not sayng anybody would do this on purpose.. all you need is somebody to get some off one person and not even know they arent the real deal and they could be selling them without even knowing it.. the only real way to tell is if you see it before its installed.. they say Moori on one side and a S for soft, M for Medium and a Q for Quick. i believe they also say glue this side on them.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
chris

hondo
02-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Don't know about Putnam sp's. I bought a beautiful
purpleheart &amp; birdseye cue direct from him on
ebay for $200 + shipping. Good luck.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr> i have been doing a little internet surfing and it seems that the more expensive cues are the "prettier" ones. charging for more elaborate inlays and what not. i dont care what the cue looks like, it could be pink for all i care, as long as its a quality/good striking cue. and yes i do prefer a stiff cue so i may look into his sneeky petes. any help on tips?

thanks again
Jay <hr /></blockquote>

Cornerman
02-08-2006, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr> so my question is...$300, whats the best cue out there? i supose its all a personal opinion but still...opinions??? facts??? <hr /></blockquote>I suppose there are a lot of mass-produced choices. I'd go with a JOSS. If you want a sneaky pete, I think the Huebler sneaky pete is the best of its class.

Fred

studdyhalllooser
02-08-2006, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisOnline:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr> thanks for the input guys. right now im playing with a players butterfly sneeky pete....nothing special but there arnt many people around here that can beet me with it...im comfterble (cant spell sorry) with it but want to upgrade to something better. i was told i can get a meucci sneeky pete for around 100. just want to find out about a few more cue brands as everyone around here swears by meucci.
thanks again
Jay <hr /></blockquote>
try and find a meucci sneaky pete for around $100 bux.. it will be super hard unless its been used.. about 3 years ago.. Meucci raised the price on their sneaky pete cues to a $220 retail price also.. they discontinued making them i believe but from what i understand there is like this HUGE stockpile of them so there will never be a shortage..lol..

anyways.. IMO, moori tips are top notch.. they have an awesome feel and great for english and just playability.. also.. its MY opinion, moori tips arent for everybody.. i will admit that i go through periods where i like to use my shaft with a plain tip on it (its probably a lepro) and i put my shaft with the moori on it away..

again.. its all in personal opinion...

i will tell you this.. you put a moori tip on your cheap sneaky pete and it will change it.. most likley for the better... before you go out and spend 300 on a new cue.. spend $20 on a new tip..

also.. the price of a moori tip also depends on availability.. this never happens to any other cue tips on the market just moori..

ALSO.. last one.. i promise.. be very careful about who you buy your moori tip from.. its been known that ppl sell FAKE moori's... i am not sayng anybody would do this on purpose.. all you need is somebody to get some off one person and not even know they arent the real deal and they could be selling them without even knowing it.. the only real way to tell is if you see it before its installed.. they say Moori on one side and a S for soft, M for Medium and a Q for Quick. i believe they also say glue this side on them.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
chris

<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks for the input chris. i think i will take u up on the advice as my tip is about gone....do you tip yours yourself? i have never done it before so i was just going to take mine up to a place called "the billiard gallery" where i bought mine. how hard is it to retip a cue? what kind of glue would you use?
Thanks again
Jay

ChrisOnline
02-08-2006, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr>
Thanks for the input chris. i think i will take u up on the advice as my tip is about gone....do you tip yours yourself? i have never done it before so i was just going to take mine up to a place called "the billiard gallery" where i bought mine. how hard is it to retip a cue? what kind of glue would you use?
Thanks again
Jay <hr /></blockquote>

thats another thing.. find somebody who does a excellent job.. getting somebody putting a tip on half arsed is no good either.. i dont recomend doing it yourself.. anybody with experience should be good..

chris

JPB
02-08-2006, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote studdyhalllooser:</font><hr> i have been doing a little internet surfing and it seems that the more expensive cues are the "prettier" ones. charging for more elaborate inlays and what not. i dont care what the cue looks like, it could be pink for all i care, as long as its a quality/good striking cue. and yes i do prefer a stiff cue so i may look into his sneeky petes. any help on tips?

thanks again
Jay <hr /></blockquote>

If you prefer a stiff hit do not get any Meucci IMO.
If you play well with the cue you have, why get another low end cue? Why just get a 300 cue that you may not play better with?
I do understand wanting a nicer cue and have bought too many cues myself. If I were to go out and get a cue in the 300 range today, I would get a Frey sneaky, but I would spend the extra to get a stainless joint because I like them. That cue probably hits more like what I play with now, although I am just guessing because I have not hit with a frey. (I play w/ a Scruggs, w/whom Frey used to work.)
If i were getting a production I would get a low end Joss or Huebler. I have a Huebler and never really loved it, but it is a solid, stiff, hard hitting cue. made in the US by a good company. A huebler sneaky or plain maple cue is something you might really like. Joss is also made here by a good company. Not just being pro-US, but I think overall it is better to buy from a company you can get on the phone or send the cue to for repair. I had my huebler refinished by the company last summer, over 15 years from buying it. No, it isn't free, but the company is still there and you can call them on the phone.. Hard to do with some import that just has a brand name put on it.

You might also want to wait just a little longer and shop for a plain schon. It will be more than 300, but not so much more that you will remember it 4 months after buying it.

dareads
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might also want to wait just a little longer and shop for a plain schon. It will be more than 300, but not so much more that you will remember it 4 months after buying it. <hr /></blockquote>

I can't agree with this suggestion more. I was looking for something in the $300 to $400 range and ended up finding a nice Schon on Ebay for $350. It is about 10 years old, but it is straight and I love the solid hit. I would keep your eyes open and be patient and you may end up finding a cue you didn't think was possible. Happy hunting