PDA

View Full Version : Holocaust Cartoon Contest

SpiderMan
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I wonder if Europe will trumpet for "freedom of speech" and "freedom of press" when the shoe is on the other foot.

Iran Daily Holds Contest for Holocaust Cartoons (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-02-07T152958Z_01_L07723729_RTRUKOC_0_US-RELIGION-CARTOONS-IRAN-HOLOCAUST.xml&rpc=22)

SnakebyteXX
02-07-2006, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I wonder if Europe will trumpet for "freedom of speech" and "freedom of press" when the shoe is on the other foot.

"Iran's best-selling newspaper has launched a competition to find the best cartoon about the Holocaust in retaliation for the publication in many European countries of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad." <hr /></blockquote>

Considering that both the Jewish and the Muslim faiths share very similar interpretations of the second Commandment regarding the forbidden display of any images of God - I would say that this is a calculated effort on the part of the Iranians to mislead their people into blaming the Jews for an incident in which they took no part.

Such an effort betrays an Iranian agenda of anti-Semitism and totally undermines any argument that they might have regarding the alleged damage caused by the true originators of the perceived blasphemy.

Cueless Joey
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
They can do it all they want.
It will prove to them how much of a lowlives they are b/c unlike them, the Jews aren't going to blow up embassies in protest.

SpiderMan
02-07-2006, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> Considering that both the Jewish and the Muslim faiths share very similar interpretations of the second Commandment regarding the forbidden display of any images of God - I would say that this is a calculated effort on the part of the Iranians to mislead their people into blaming the Jews for an incident in which they took no part.
<hr /></blockquote>

If that's true, then they're smarter than I give them credit for. But, if they're even a little bit smart, the people wouldn't fall for that anyway.

More likely it's exactly as it appears - they've deliberately chosen something bound to offend, and also something that their own countrymen might find amusing - similar in those respects to the "Mohammed" cartoons.

The question is, will we betray ourselves by responding with hypocritic outrage? I hope not, but time will tell.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-07-2006, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> They can do it all they want.
It will prove to them how much of a lowlives they are b/c unlike them, the Jews aren't going to blow up embassies in protest. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know .... depending on how offensive the results are, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jews rioting. And if there were an Iranian embassy accessible in Israel, they'd probaby attack it.

Israelis and all the other Middle Easterners have a lot in common - they try to appear different, but are no more successful at that than our own Democrats and Republicans /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

SpiderMan

Qtec
02-08-2006, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Israelis and all the other Middle Easterners have a lot in common <hr /></blockquote>

From a sermon on Palestinian tv.

"Sheik Ibrahim Madiras Friday sermon, PA TV Sept. 10, 2004:

"The Prophet said: the Resurrection will not take place until the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims kill them. The Muslims will kill the Jews, rejoice [in it], rejoice in Allahs Victory. The Muslims will kill the Jews, and he will hide
The Prophet said: the Jews will hide behind the rock and tree, and the rock and tree will say: oh servant of Allah, oh Muslim this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!. Why is there this malice? Because there are none who love the Jews on the face of the earth: not man, not rock, and not tree everything hates them. They destroy everything they destroy the trees and destroy the houses. Everything wants vengeance on the Jews, on these pigs on the face of the earth, and the day of our victory, Allah willing, will come."

http://www.pmw.org.il/

...but they find a cartoon offensive?

Q