PDA

View Full Version : Earl makes the HOF

Brian in VA
02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Congratulations to Earl Strickland for making it to the BCA Hall of Fame! While I've been known to post my thoughts about his suspect, unprofessional behavior I've always felt his talents and record deserve to be recognized. Well done Pearl!

Brian in VA

Deeman3
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Yes, It's well past time he should have been selected although he has always beleived active players whould not be eligible. It would have been very hard to figure how a guy with his credentials would be left out. At least he didn't have a criminal record to overcome... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

Rich R.
02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Congratulations to Earl Strickland for making it to the BCA Hall of Fame! While I've been known to post my thoughts about his suspect, unprofessional behavior I've always felt his talents and record deserve to be recognized. Well done Pearl!

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>
Let's remember, this is Earl we are talking about.
We now have to wait to see if he shows up and accepts the honor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooltchr
02-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Well deserved and probably overdue. It will be a long time before anyone matches the accomplishments of his career!
Steve

Brian in VA
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Good point Rich! I seem to recall that when he was up for it once before he claimed that if he won, he would forego the World Championships to attend the ceremony. He then went to the WC, was it in Cardiff, and did quite well.

One thing's sure about him. You never know what's coming next!

Brian in VA

P.S. Best to Kathy, too!

dg-in-centralpa
02-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Congratulations to Earl and I feel bad for Hopkins. He deserves it just as much.

DG

Vagabond
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
I am guessing that there will be 180 degrees turn in his demeanor as a result of this achievement.Three cheers to Earl /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman3
02-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't bet your lunch on that.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecardman
02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr>...I seem to recall that when he was up for it once before he claimed that if he won, he would forego the World Championships to attend the ceremony. He then went to the WC, was it in Cardiff, and did quite well...<hr /></blockquote>

It was one of the Cardiff years and I think it may have been 2002 - the year he won it (quite well is a bit of an understatement!).

On a (slightly) related note, one of my favourite memories from being at the Worlds in Cardiff was from 2003 - the final year there - when Efren had been inducted. Efren chose to miss the ceremony to be able to play in the World Championships and so Mike Panozzo brought his plaque over and presented it on live TV before the day's play started. Great stuff!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian in VA
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I was thinking he won the WC that year Peter but was concerned that my pool history isn't as good as other folks on this board. It was a great example of subtly pointing out that he'd been passed over by stomping everyone else!

Cheer!
Brian in VA

Thanks for the story about Efren. I'd never heard about that.