PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball Rules Question

NeZ
02-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I was reviewing the BCA rules for 8 ball and I've got a couple questions I'm hoping you all can help answer.

"4.15 Combination shots are allowed; however, the 8-ball can’t be used as a first ball in the combination unless it is the shooter’s only remaining legal object ball on the table. Otherwise, should such contact occur on the 8-ball, it is a foul."

"4.19 ...A combination shot can never be used to legally pocket the 8-ball, except when the 8-ball is the first ball contacted in the shot sequence."

If I'm understanding these rules correctly, it means that if the 8 ball is my only ball left, as long as I hit the 8 ball first I could use one of my opponents balls to pocket it. Is that correct?

Also, on a similar note, as long as I contact one of my balls first, I can use one of my opponents balls as part of a combo, right?

And one last one on loss of game...

"4.20 1. Fouls when pocketing the 8-ball (exception: see 8-Ball Pocketed On The Break)."

This only applies if the 8 ball actually goes in (is pocketed), correct? So, if I were to shoot at the 8 ball, miss the ball but scratch, it wouldn't be a loss. Whereas, if I made the 8 ball and scratched it would be?

Thanks!

Cory

OldieToo
02-07-2006, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm understanding these rules correctly, it means that if the 8 ball is my only ball left, as long as I hit the 8 ball first I could use one of my opponents balls to pocket it. Is that correct?
<hr /></blockquote> correct.

SPetty
02-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi NeZ,
Your understanding on all counts is correct.

Bumps
02-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I agree with the replys to this thread, but have another question, which does not seem to be answered on the BCA web site. Two balls are close to the jaw of a pocket. Both are stripes, which is my group. Kicking, I call one of the balls. I hit both balls and the one that I did NOT call goes in. My opponent took bih. Is this correct? It seems to me that this would not be considered a bih foul.
Comments??

Deeman3
02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Bumps,

I believe this would only be a missed shot, not a foul.

Deeman

PoolSharkAllen
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I agree with the replys to this thread, but have another question, which does not seem to be answered on the BCA web site. Two balls are close to the jaw of a pocket. Both are stripes, which is my group. Kicking, I call one of the balls. I hit both balls and the one that I did NOT call goes in. My opponent took bih. Is this correct? It seems to me that this would not be considered a bih foul.
Comments?? <hr /></blockquote>
------------

Bumps: For kick shots, after the cue ball contacts the object ball, either the cue ball or another ball must hit the rail...or it's a foul. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ace
02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I agree with the replys to this thread, but have another question, which does not seem to be answered on the BCA web site. Two balls are close to the jaw of a pocket. Both are stripes, which is my group. Kicking, I call one of the balls. I hit both balls and the one that I did NOT call goes in. My opponent took bih. Is this correct? It seems to me that this would not be considered a bih foul.

Unlike 9-Ball, Where you can only have one object ball needing to be contacted first, in 8-Ball, there up to seven object balls you can make contact with. The ball and pocket marked only allows the player to contiue to shoot if the ball is pocketed. No Foul comitted for hitting the object ball not called.

Ace
02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I agree with the replys to this thread, but have another question, which does not seem to be answered on the BCA web site. Two balls are close to the jaw of a pocket. Both are stripes, which is my group. Kicking, I call one of the balls. I hit both balls and the one that I did NOT call goes in. My opponent took bih. Is this correct? It seems to me that this would not be considered a bih foul.
------------

Bumps: For kick shots, after the cue ball contacts the object ball, either the cue ball or another ball must hit the rail...or it's a foul. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

He pocketed one of his object balls, just was not the one called.......No Foul!

pooltchr
02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NeZ:</font><hr> "4.20 1. Fouls when pocketing the 8-ball (exception: see 8-Ball Pocketed On The Break)."

This only applies if the 8 ball actually goes in (is pocketed), correct? So, if I were to shoot at the 8 ball, miss the ball but scratch, it wouldn't be a loss. Whereas, if I made the 8 ball and scratched it would be?

Thanks!

Cory

<hr /></blockquote>
The way I understand it, if you made the 8 on the break and also scratched, it's loss of game.
If later in the game you are shooting the 8 and scratch, it's loss of game whether or not you make the 8.
Steve

Bumps
02-07-2006, 06:50 PM
To the post above, about cb not hitting a rail: {haven't figured out how to quote;(

I think that this only applies if a ball is not pocketed. Anyway, the cue ball struck the rail after pocketing the ball.

PoolSharkAllen
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> To the post above, about cb not hitting a rail: {haven't figured out how to quote;(

I think that this only applies if a ball is not pocketed. Anyway, the cue ball struck the rail after pocketing the ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Bumps, You're right. I forgot that you mentioned that the second ball went in.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
World Standard rules also apply.

Making the 8 on the break and scratching is NOT a loss of game.

BCA 8 Ball rules. (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/)
4.8 8-BALL POCKETED ON THE BREAK
If the 8-ball is pocketed on the break, breaker may ask for a re-rack or have the 8-ball spotted and continue shooting. If the breaker scratches while pocketing the 8-ball on the break, the incoming player has the option of a re-rack or having the 8-ball spotted and begin shooting with ball in hand behind the head string.

PoolSharkAllen
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I have a question about this 8-ball and 9-ball scenario: I hit the 8 ball and it lands inside the jaws of the pocket without going in and without contacting a rail.

The rules indicate that this a foul as an object ball (or cue ball) must contact a cushion. Why is this a foul when the 8 ball in the scenario above has crossed the imaginary line of the cushion without actually going into the pocket?

walt8880
02-08-2006, 02:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> I have a question about this 8-ball and 9-ball scenario: I hit the 8 ball and it lands inside the jaws of the pocket without going in and without contacting a rail.

The rules indicate that this a foul as an object ball (or cue ball) must contact a cushion. Why is this a foul when the 8 ball in the scenario above has crossed the imaginary line of the cushion without actually going into the pocket? <hr /></blockquote>

According to my understanding, there is no "imaginary" cushion line inside the jaws of a pocket. A ball must either touch a real cushion after CB contact with a legal OB or some ball (except the CB) go into a pocket for the shot not to be a foul.

Cornerman
02-08-2006, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> The way I understand it, if you made the 8 on the break and also scratched, it's loss of game.
<hr /></blockquote> Not with today's BCA 8-ball rules. I don't know what the IPT is doing.

[ QUOTE ]
If later in the game you are shooting the 8 and scratch, it's loss of game whether or not you make the 8.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>Not with today's BCA rules (which were the rules in question. Again, I don't know what the IPT is doing.

Fred

Cornerman
02-08-2006, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> I have a question about this 8-ball and 9-ball scenario: I hit the 8 ball and it lands inside the jaws of the pocket without going in and without contacting a rail.

The rules indicate that this a foul as an object ball (or cue ball) must contact a cushion. Why is this a foul when the 8 ball in the scenario above has crossed the imaginary line of the cushion without actually going into the pocket? <hr /></blockquote>There is no reason to think that "imaginary lines" are in play.

The rules specifically say "contact a rail." So, the only consideration is contacting a cushion and how it contacts a rail.

Fred

Scott Lee
02-08-2006, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Like Fred said, this is not loss of game, if shooting at the 8, and you fail to pocket the 8, but still foul (i.e.: scratch the CB). It is ball-in-hand for your opponent, not loss of game.

Scott

Rich R.
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Steve...Like Fred said, this is not loss of game, if shooting at the 8, and you fail to pocket the 8, but still foul (i.e.: scratch the CB). It is ball-in-hand for your opponent, not loss of game. <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, I just want to make it clear to NeZ, the original poster, that you are only talking about BCA rules here, because his original inquiry was about the BCA rules.
We all know, in the APA, scratching on the 8-ball is loss of game.

When playing 8-ball, you really have to pay attention to what set of rules you are playing by, because there are so many variations.