PDA

View Full Version : Mini Buffer Polisher

TommyT
02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I've got the mini buffer, but I'm not happy with the results. I wax the balls and wipe off most of the wax by hand. Then I spin them for about 10-15 seconds as per directions. Should I be spinning them longer?.
Does anyone think Bludworths ball solution would work with the buffer?. How about using Bluds solution and hand polishing?. I brought my balls to the poolhall the other day and the counterman polished them with their Ballstar machine. The results were fantastic.It was like a new set of balls. How can I get those results with the minibuffer?.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman3
02-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Tommy,

The inventor, Pete Calbrase, of Pennsylvania sells these and is always at the Billiards Expo. Unfortunately, I'd ask him but will not be there this year. He owns a pool hall in sentral Penn. named Alexandra's so you miight find his number in some pool hall listing. I neverused the product but heard several people tell him they had less than satisfactory results and he told them how to use it more effectively. If my wife has his number I'll call him or pass the number on to you.

I think it's a neat little concept but it may just not be powerful enough to handle the job like a profesional machine.

Deeman

Cornerman
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think it's a neat little concept but it may just not be powerful enough to handle the job like a profesional machine.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>I think if it was mounted on a drill press, it would be fine.

Fred

Rich R.
02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TommyT:</font><hr> Does anyone think Bludworths ball solution would work with the buffer?. How about using Bluds solution and hand polishing?. <hr /></blockquote>
I have looked at Bludworths web site and I can't seem to find his "solution". /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
What is this product and where can I get more information about it and possibly buy it?

BTW, I find that the Mini-Buffer works best when the balls are not too dirty. Unfortunately, because you can only do 3 balls at a time, I just don't have the time to do them as often as I should and it doesn't work very well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am trying to find a decent quality machine, that can do a good job on a full rack of balls, for a resonable price.

TommyT
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I couldn't find it either. I think he sold that part of his business. I sent an email and a private message to Mr. Bludworth but never got a reply.
TommyT

Rod
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
If you wanted to go to the effort you can make a ball polisher. You need 1 floor buffer, a 5 gallon plastic bucket, two large wool buffing pads and a table of sort to mount it on. An old used floor buffer works fine, power to spare.

Rod

SPetty
02-09-2006, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>I think if it was mounted on a drill press, it would be fine. <hr /></blockquote>Because why?

Because you assume it's a larger motor and therefore more powerful, or because you assume you can apply more downward pressure? Or because of some other reason?

TommyT
02-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Good idea. Please explain further. Would you take the motor off the polisher?. Would any motor that spun a rod work?.
Thanks,
TommyT

Cornerman
02-10-2006, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>I think if it was mounted on a drill press, it would be fine. <hr /></blockquote>Because why?

Because you assume it's a larger motor and therefore more powerful, or because you assume you can apply more downward pressure? Or because of some other reason? <hr /></blockquote>

Because you can turn on the press and leave it alone without having to add the pressure with your hands while holding a hand drill.

Fred

Rod
02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
All he did was take the handle off the floor buffer. I'm not sure how it was mounted but I think he bought longer bolts that went thru the table top and screwed them into the aluminum housing. He cut a hole large enough for the motor shaft/armature to fit through. Floor buffers come with a round brush that quick connects to the motor shaft/armature via an adaptor.

Floor buffer size is the diameter of the round brush. A floor buffer works well because the motor has a ton of torque and runs at a slower speed. Not just any motor will work because most will run too fast and at a higher speed, say like a cooler motor, I'm sure this would be too fast. If I recall they run about 1450 RPM's on slow speed. You'd probably burn the balls with too much heat. I'm sure there are other motor applications that run slowly but right now my mind is drawing a blank. The floor buffer was perfect for this application and you might find an old used one fairly cheap.

Oh I forgot to add he cut the bottom off a 5 gal plastic bucket, then mounted it to the table with L brackets, pop rivets with washers thru the bucket and sheet metal screws to the table. A wool polishing pad to the buffer, get the height right (by cutting the correct amount off the bucket) which gives you the right depth for the pool balls, then a top cover (he made out of wood) and put a wool pad on the bottom of the cover so you sandwich the balls between the two pads. His top cover is held down by spring clips.

When I first saw those mini buffers I thought what a joke. The idea is there but it it just won't work. About like mounting a small buffing pad to a drill motor and polishing your car. I'd be afraid it would do more harm than good.

I don't know what you mean by spin a rod because I'm a rod and I don't spin. LOL

Rod