PDA

View Full Version : Tourny in Greenville SC

07-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Has anyone heard the results of the Tourney in Greenville SC this weekend. I was there Sat but had to miss Sun. Tony Watson and Earl Strickland were still in it last I heard. Good Benefit for RED who died around June 1.

Thanks,
BillyR

cuechick
07-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Sorry,I don't have an answer for you; but I am thinking of moving to this area and wonder about the 'pool scene' in Greenville.
I know Loree Jon is down there any other good women players and which are the best rooms to play in? I think I will be visiting in the fall to check it out.

07-01-2002, 11:45 AM
The Golden Cue is nice, good tables (some with tight pockets)
The area is supposed to be good. I live in Greensboro area.

BillyR

PoolChick02
07-01-2002, 08:08 PM
The results were on AZBilliards. Earl Strickland won the event, with Tony Watson taking 2nd.

07-01-2002, 09:34 PM
NIKKI BENISH LIVES NEARBY IN SIMPSONVILLE.....GAMETIME/RIPTIDE IS NICE FOR PLAYING POOL AND PARTYING.......

07-02-2002, 11:30 AM
This was a good tournament. Shannon Daulton was there, Earl was there, Tony Watson and Grady Mathews. Also, "Mr. Shuffert" and his 7 year old son. Shuffert looks to be in his early to mid-fifties, he won over a good field the previous weekend in Athens. The Symonski brothers and Mark Gregory. A number of other local, good players, including "Travis" who beat Shannon Daulton, and was up 6-2 on Tony Watson before losing. Missing in action were Bruce Berrong and Stevie Moore.
The Golden Cue has 4 Diamond tables and 4 Brunswick tables. Most matches were played on the Diamond tables, with the best matches and the championship match played on a Diamond table in the corner, with a good light, number 9. Countless balls hung up in the corner pockets. The pockets were rejecting balls. This was frustrating to the players, including Earl Strickland and Shannon Daulton. Also, the air conditioning was not working well. So it was hot inside. Sunday, as the day wore on the humidity rose and the tables played slower. So conditions were far short of ideal, both for the players and the spectators.
Mark Gregory played real well, arriving undefeated to face Tony Watson in a battle for the hot seat. Earl faced off with Shuffert on the loser's side. Shuffert was exhausted from his previous match, a bruising battle with Richie Symonski, and he was no match for Earl. I didn't know who would win between Tony and Mark Gregory, especially after Mark Gregory had just beaten Earl, but Tony's firepower combined with his confidence that he could beat Mark probably made the difference.
I heard, but I don't know, that after Earl beat Tony two sets in a row in the true double elimination finals, that Tony broke down and cried he was so disappointed. Tony has great talent, everyone hopes he doesn't waste it. He could be, and is, a world class player, but he needs to dedicate himself to winning, to mature, to become (dare I say it) a little bit more like Earl in his approach to the game.
Richie had a great match with Earl, and a great tournament. Mark Gregory's victory over Earl was not lucky, he just beat him. Earl showed his burning desire to win. The most impressive player in the tournament though, based just on the way he plays, was Shannon Daulton. He is awesome, they better watch out in Cardiff.
Jim Jennings had an excellent tournament, beating Shannon Daulton, and winning match after match on the loser's side before succumbing to exhaustion.
As far as pool halls in the area, in addition to the Golden Cue on Hwy 29 in Taylors, there is GameTime in Greenville. A great pool hall is Murphy's Brass Rail in Athens, they seem to be having a tournament about once a month now.

Thunderbolt

PQQLK9
07-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Great report...thanks

07-02-2002, 02:21 PM
was there a lot of action? i heard Tony Watson got dusted pretty bad.

07-02-2002, 05:12 PM
The action took place Friday night. I wasn't there. But everyone said Tony lost 10K giving some guy the 6 and some other advantage, on the tightest Diamond table there.