PDA

View Full Version : Lefties shoot better?

phil in sofla
07-01-2002, 01:39 PM
If someone is left handed, that means their right side of the brain is dominant. Since it's supposedly the left hemisphere of the brain that does the thinking, and thinking is said to interfere with pool playing, would a lefty shooter have some advantage from less thinking, and more right brain pattern recognition, performance ability, etc.?

I don't see that many left handed shooters to really judge, but some of the ones I remember shooting lefty shot some pretty good pool. Any lefties out there? Seen any? LOL!

Kato
07-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Phil, does this have anything to do with last night? Can't believe you had to give up the 8 to that lefty.

Kato~~~was playing pretty good until he hit a brick wall

stickman
07-01-2002, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty sure they shoot better far down the right side long rail. LOL

cheesemouse
07-01-2002, 02:49 PM
Phil,
I play pool left handed, my right eye is dominate, I golf right handed, I write left handed, I play tennis with both hands, I eat left handed and I could go on and on. As far as the left side/right side brain debate I think I have only a middle brain. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Are left handers good pool players? I play pretty good stick and mostly against right handed players obviously, so, when I play another lefty it is quite noticable to me. I have seen very few poor leftys in pool most of them are good players. I don't like playing left handed pool players; I can't trust them to do what I think they should do. Being a lefty I think it is an advantage because your always playing right handed players and you know the shots they can't reach while the right handed player is always playing right handed players and doesn't concider the lefty being able to easily reach shoots which are usually tough for a righty...that last sentence is mess...LOL...
In general I think leftys are less conservative players and go for the out over safty play. Like I said I don't like playing those crafty lefty's.....do you???

07-01-2002, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> If someone is left handed, that means their right side of the brain is dominant. Since it's supposedly the left hemisphere of the brain that does the thinking, and thinking is said to interfere with pool playing, would a lefty shooter have some advantage from less thinking, and more right brain pattern recognition, performance ability, etc.?

I don't see that many left handed shooters to really judge, but some of the ones I remember shooting lefty shot some pretty good pool. Any lefties out there? Seen any? LOL! <hr></blockquote>

absolutely correct. they are also just all around better human beings.

dan

stickman
07-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Hmmm. Something tells me that HDJ plays with one of those rare lefthanded cuesticks. LOL

heater451
07-01-2002, 03:36 PM
I snipped this from one of my posts in that "Sexual Orientation" thread:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr>. . .lefthanded players may tend to be better, if they are also right-brained.

The right hemisphere of the brain is responsible for creative thought, spacial relations, and fine-motor movement. There are all, arguably I'm sure, advantages to a pool player.<hr></blockquote>
I am left-handed and left-eye dominant. However, I am (I believe) right-footed. I shoot pool and rifles from the left, but I golf right-handed, and I primarily bat right-handed (although, I can hit decently, left-handed). If I were to box, I would be just as comfortable/un-comfortable with a stance to either hand.

Whether being a southpaw helps, I can't say, since for every really good lefty I play against, there are at least 10 right-handers! Does anyone know the current ratio of left-handed people to right-handed people?

BTW, while searching for the post I clipped, I ran into this post, by Patti_I:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=9459&amp;S earch=true&amp;Forum=ccbboard&amp;Words=spatial&amp;Match=Enti re%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main =8926

I've included it, because of her reference to "spacial relations".

phil in sofla
07-01-2002, 05:45 PM
EMILY PLAYS LEFT-HANDED!!??!!??

I didn't notice that over our brief 3 games together, LOL!

Honestly, my typical notice that someone is left-handed is when they make a shot like that in the middle of some games or sets, and my reaction is 'wow, great shot with the left hand!'

Doh! The other time I notice is when they go for shape I know I'd have trouble reaching as a rightie, but reach it easily. Loan me a quarter to buy a clue!

phil in sofla
07-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Pretty envious of your ambidextrous talents there. As I've often said, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

HarryDC
07-01-2002, 06:19 PM
cheesemouse,

What a great subject to introduce my favorite new lefty Ms.
Sarah Ellerby. I've watched Sarah play and she has a big advantage in safety play because the right handed players
never expect her to get the shape she does on her safety shots. She also has a nice play to settle down after sitting in the chair for a while. She hits the first shot on
return to the table just as hard as she can into the pocket.

Yes, Sarah is more aggressive. In a hill hill final tournament championship match against Tiffany Nelson Sarah
hooked herself behind a 7-Ball on the 6-Ball. She made a
fantastic jump shot on the 6-Ball into the corner pocket but scratched and Tiffany ran out for the win. Sarah is the
best lefty in ladies pool right now.

HarryDC

07-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Not if that picture is actually him, he doesn't! LOL

Rod
07-01-2002, 07:01 PM
Cheese, a friend of mine plays pool right handed. He plays golf left handed, good player and a long hitter. He switches depending on what the task happens to be at the time. He plays both games very well. I don't remember which hand he writes with but is talented with either.

07-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi, everyone- I haven't been around much, too busy with work, 3 league divisions, and the renovation of my new billiard room....(the table is set up, but waiting until the rest of the downstairs is redone to put on the new cloth. nice, 30-yr-old Fischer 8ft commercial table- great rails, tight pockets....) but I had to jump in on this one. Heater451, I reread the post you referenced- and although the reference I was making to spatial thinking and ability was at that time more oriented towards gender issues, there is some merit to the concept in terms of left/right handed/brained. I am left handed, but definitively right eyed. made a big problem when I was young and involved in riflery, until we figured that one out! I play pool both left and right handed, as the situation requires. Lefties do have some advantage, in that there are fewer of us. I find it much harder to play defensively against another left-handed player, because we not only see the table differently from right handers, but the shots we choose and the position we go for are quite different. Right handers often ask, what ARE you doing???? until they see either the progression I am following, or the nasty hole I am leaving them in. Playing defense against another left hander can be much more difficult, as they can get out of the same tight spots that a right hander will have trouble with. I remember several years ago I was playing in a local league, and there was one woman who consistently beat out other players by using defense consistently. She never won a match against me that way. (she did beat me on occasion, but never when she was trying to sych me out, or leave me with no shot.) After we had played in the same league for about 3 years, she came up one night and said Jeez,Patti, how is it that you can always get out of those weird leaves? I laughed and said, I'm left-handed, too. She thought a minute ad said When did you notice I'm left handed? I told her, The first time I ever played you.....She had never even noticed, and was trying to leave me in positions that she had learnd from experience were more difficult for a right handed player. after much rambling, what I think it boils down to, are some shots and table positions are easier for a right handed player, and vice-versa. What really mucks up the competition is when you are ambidextrous........Patti I

JimS
07-01-2002, 08:04 PM
I eat left handed, write right handed. I play all sports except pool and shooting sports right handed. I shoot long guns left handed, hand guns right handed. I play pool left handed. I use hand tools with either hand, the left for most but when I need fineese I use the right hand. I play drums right handed. I'm strongly right eye dominant. I'm one confused puppy! On that all friends and family agree.

heater451
07-01-2002, 08:05 PM
I call myself 'semi-ambidextrous' sometimes, due to having to do so many things right-handed, although some of it is simply practiced. (Working for a time in auto-mechanics aided my cross-dexterity as well.) I'm better at using scissors right-handed, but I'm sure everyone is, since they don't make "LEFTY" scissors for adults, like the ones we used in gradeschool. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif However, I usually turn the paper with my left, in order to cut curves. (Sidenote, I also learned how to use right-hand scissors with my left, but it's annoying--and simply easier to use the other one)

Other activities are handed-exclusive. I throw nearly everything (balls, rocks, darts, etc.) with my left hand, but I toss frisbees with my right!

When it comes to pool, I used to shoot behind the back, when necessary, but learned to shoot righty, because I was trying to alleviate the boredom of playing against myself. --I can even shoot behind my back with both hands, but I'm really weak at it now.

I tend to immediately notice playing another lefty. But I very rarely (um, never) have the presence of mind, to factor handedness into a safety, whether the opponent is right or left. I think this is because I don't usually consider any shot unreachable, and I mistakenly figure that others think the same way (and it's truthful enough, if the bridge comes into play). If I safety someone into having to stretch, it's luck.

cheesemouse
07-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Phil,
I read something once written by some shrink. The theory was that leftys are well adjusted people because they spend their lives adjusting to a right handed world and somehow that makes them more emotionally stable. I think there are exceptions to every rule. What the hell, I'm a mouse......LOL LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-01-2002, 08:14 PM
they do make "lefty" scissors for adults!!! and pens, etc... I was a hairdresser for 20 years, and did try "left-handed shears"- the action is reversed (ie, the one blade remains stationary, the other moves for the cut)- I actually am more comfortable cutting with right-handed scissors, 50 years of unconscious adaptation the right handed world, I guess. I did have the advantage of learning from a lefthaned pool instructor, and that may have been what made me look at handedness in other players. He taught me that a lot of what I thought was good playing was simply leaving the average player (ie, right handed) at a disadvantage simply by the way I saw the table a a lefty.... Patti I

cheesemouse
07-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Hello Harry,
It's always nice to hear from you. I wish that lefty Sarah Ellerby would make it to the TV rounds so I could watch that English style from my side of the ball. I'll bet she is not only aggressive but I'll bet she just naturally starts walking to where whitey is going to stop so she can bend and fire quickly...can't wait to see her hit balls.

Troy
07-01-2002, 08:27 PM
I call myself "Bi-Mono-Dextrous" because some things I ONLY do with one hand.

Pool - Left. But I can shoot "wrong handed" if necessary. However, my Left hand is somewhat "stupid" making a tough bridge.
Throw a ball, bat, golf -- Right. Frisbee though with either hand.
Eat - Fork in Right, Knife in Left -- They do NOT switch.
Scissors -- Cut Left, but with Righ-handed scissors. With Left-handed scissors, I must cut with Right hand.

I read somewhere a long time ago that a Lefty has an easier time learning to do things with the Right Hand than a Righty has learning with the Left. This makes sense since it's basically a right-handed world.

I think the ratio is about 10-1. Actually, I think there are less than 10% lefties.

Troy...~~~ Typing with six fingers total, BOTH hands..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> If someone is left handed, that means their right side of the brain is dominant. Since it's supposedly the left hemisphere of the brain that does the thinking, and thinking is said to interfere with pool playing, would a lefty shooter have some advantage from less thinking, and more right brain pattern recognition, performance ability, etc.?

I don't see that many left handed shooters to really judge, but some of the ones I remember shooting lefty shot some pretty good pool. Any lefties out there? Seen any? LOL! <hr></blockquote>

heater451
07-01-2002, 08:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patti_I:</font><hr> they do make "lefty" scissors for adults!!! and pens, etc... I was a hairdresser for 20 years, and did try "left-handed shears"- the action is reversed (ie, the one blade remains stationary, the other moves for the cut)- I actually am more comfortable cutting with right-handed scissors, 50 years of unconscious adaptation the right handed world, I guess. . . .<hr></blockquote>(Was joking about the scissors--I was picturing full-sized scissors, with the all-caps "LEFTY" in relief on the blade. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Also, I don't quite understand how you mean that "one blade of the scissors remains stationary". . . .

If you examine a right-handed pair of scissors, you can see that the blades are affixed together, so that the blades are forced together during a cut (using the right hand). If you try to cut with them left-handed, the opposite 'twisting' action makes the blades try to separate enough to cause the blades to slide along the paper without cutting.

Lefty scissors are fixed in a somewhat 'inverted' manner. The arrangement of the blades would be like disassemling the pair of (right-handed) scissors, flipping the individual handles/blades over, and re-assembling (of course, this doesn't work, due to the actual grind of the blades). I can't describe it very well, because you can't really reconfigure scissors, I'm just trying to illustrate the actual, engineering difference in left- and right-handed scissors.

Since, in effect, the 'upper' blade, would become the 'lower' blade, is this what you meant, by the "opposite" blade?

BTW, to cut with either pair of scissors in the opposite hand, just make sure that your thumb and fingers are applying force in the correct directions (forcing the blades together towards the tips). I can see bar-bet possibilities here. . . . /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

heater451
07-01-2002, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr>. . .Pool - Left. But I can shoot "wrong handed" if necessary. However, my Left hand is somewhat "stupid" making a tough bridge.<hr></blockquote>Troy, can you bridge over a ball with your "wrong" hand?

I have to turn my hand palm up, lay my wrist on the table, and form a little "v" with my thumb and forefinger!

I also have to use a closed bridge, when shooting right-handed (left hand bridge), although I predominantly use an open bridge (right hand bridge). . . .

Troy
07-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Heater --

No, I can't bridge over a ball with my right hand. My fingers get real stupid, bump into the ball, refuse to stand up, stuff like that.

I can shoot with either an open or closed bridge, but to me it looks "juvenile" and still doesn't quite feel right. Anf believe me, I've been working on it for years..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Troy:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;. . .Pool - Left. But I can shoot "wrong handed" if necessary. However, my Left hand is somewhat "stupid" making a tough bridge.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Troy, can you bridge over a ball with your "wrong" hand?

I have to turn my hand palm up, lay my wrist on the table, and form a little "v" with my thumb and forefinger!

I also have to use a closed bridge, when shooting right-handed (left hand bridge), although I predominantly use an open bridge (right hand bridge). . . . <hr></blockquote>

07-01-2002, 09:50 PM
If it's Houston Dan, then he's the spitting image of Ralph Greenleaf.

F.

stickman
07-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I can think of one thing I do very well left handed, but can't do right handed. When I bought my first bait cast fishing reel, I had to learn how to cast it without getting a giant bird's nest on the reel from the backlash. A friend suggested that I learn to cast left handed so that I wouldn't have to switch hands after the cast to reel. It made sense, since it was a new skill to learn. I learned to cast left handed and couldn't cast it right handed on a bet. It is handy, not having to switch hands to reel. Spin cast reels, I cast right handed. Maybe if I practiced shooting lefty more often, I might do better than I think.

07-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Nope, it's not Greenleaf either...just checked it out, but they sure did a good job in making it look very 'Greenleaf-ish'.

Fran

Vapros
07-02-2002, 12:10 AM
I'm amphibious. I can scratch with either hand.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-02-2002, 06:40 AM
Christopher Walken. Don't know what movie it's from, perhaps hdj will enlighten us.

http://www.newdeco.com/301.gif

JimS
07-02-2002, 06:50 AM
What Picture?

Ralph S.
07-02-2002, 07:25 AM
I personally dont think that a lefty shoots superior to a righty or vice versa. I do however have a very good friend that is a lefty and quite an awesome shooter. I just might re-think my opinion after this weekend...Lol.
Ralph S.

stickman
07-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Ralph, I agree. LOL! I'm refering to the shots that a right hander has to use a bridge to shoot. Lefties have to use the bridge on the opposite side of the table. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'm not too good at shooting behind my back, and don't like to use a bridge unless I have to. If I were to practice shooting left handed, I might get good enough to shoot some of these shots. Actually, I do shoot some shots left handed, but I'm not real confident doing so. This is something I might have to start practicing.

SPetty
07-02-2002, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> What Picture? <hr></blockquote>Hi JimS,

You may have your CCB formatted the way I do, with the header information at the top of the post rather than at the side of the post. If that's the case, you won't see the pictures. Some people include a picture with their header information, and if you kept the default of header information at the side, you would see them.

So, if you want to see them all the time, you would need to format to have the header info on the side. Otherwise, you can see the pictures associated with the posters by clicking on their name and viewing their profile. I haven't checked in awhile, but awhile back, if you look at Patrick's, you'll see that neck shot that gets all the comments. HDJ has a picture of a pool player making a right handed shot.

Hope that helps.

07-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Absolutely Stickman. Play more games, and practice more shots with the off-hand and it will pay off BIG. Although there are still occations where the mechanical bridge is the only smart tool, the vast majority of shots which would otherwise require some kind of contortion or stretch though on the "off side" of the table, can be made with complete comfort and ballence by just switching over.

One of the many pluses (for me anyways) is that you don't have to break your consentration or rythm by hunting down a rest (which is probably crap anyways). You just keep on working the board. Looks (and feels) cool too LOL.

Versatility is the operative word hear i think, in much the same way as a switch hitter has that going for him or a basketball player can go either way to the net. Fortunately a simple stroke is not that tuff to do compared with other sports so with a little effort a very useable stroke can be attained by anyone in a relatively short period of time so i can't see why more people don't do it.

Be prepared for a lot of sore muscles if you go at it. Start slow and nothing but easy shots to build confidence and train muscles. Surprisingly it's not the stroke action that's the tuffest to learn, it's making a good bridge with the other hand! Mine still feels goofy but it gets the job done. Before long you'll be playing whole games out and not far behind your strong hand speed either. Mater of fact, a little off handed practice can really put you in stroke! Try it, you'll see what i mean. St

PQQLK9
07-02-2002, 10:55 AM
I totally agree with you Strech...It works for me... and if I do miss, my opponent knows I'm gutsy /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
07-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Oh.......THAT picture. Thanks SPetty. Now, howcum when I use Netscape I have more choices of icons to put with the post than I do when I use Explorer?

07-02-2002, 11:32 AM
Of course left-handed people can play pool better than right-handed people, I thought everyone knew that! I am a prime example, and being half filipino also significantly increases my superiority and dominance throughout the world of pool. I shoot pool left-handed, throw a frisbee right-handed, bowl left-handed, play golf right-handed, and write left-handed, my brother is the same way.....go figure

Rod
07-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Jim, it is well worth the time spent. You would be amazed, well maybe not, about how much it will improve your game. Especially for those shots that only a lefty can shoot or you need a bridge. I think the key is to practice a short time every time you play. It's awkard at first but it does get much better. Most people have a hard time making a bridge. To help get past that area I've always suggested to make a bridge with your right hand in your spare time. It can be at the computer desk or anywhere. Those muscles need to be trained to be comfortable. Since I'm on the short side, but tower over CC lol, it is important that I can play left handed. I would also suggest to play with a shorter bridge since it cuts down on the error factor while learning the left arm stroke. Give it 5 or 10 minutes, every time you play.

Here is a perfect example of a shot from last night. Not the most difficult, but much better for me instead of using a bridge. Those bridges put dings in my shaft on this kind of shot.

START(
%FH2D7%Gr6K5%H\7P0%IL9Y0%PL5D8%Wa7Z3%XI3E5%Yk0V7%Z c2[0%eB4b4

)END

heater451
07-02-2002, 04:47 PM
I found that, for awhile, I was sinking more shots, shooting with my off hand.

It was because I took more time to concentrate on what I was doing, as opposed to taking my shots for granted.

You may find it's not so bad. . . .

07-02-2002, 08:31 PM
I used to practice this all the time when I could get my kid into the pool room. It didn't quite even the game up for him, but it was a start! And it helped me with my lefty shots! I should get back into the habit....As I recall, switching back was quite an eye opener.....

preacherman
07-02-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm totally left handed. The ONLY sport I do right-handed is pool. Playing left is quite awkward for me (just like a right hander). I am working on shooting left but it does not feel natural, though it is slowly coming along for those times when you need to shot left-handed. So I'm a LEFTY that NATURALLY shoots RIGHT-HANDED!

Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4Christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4Christ/)

07-02-2002, 10:05 PM
I find I can make shots quite well playing opposite handed, but my position leaves much to be desired....Patti