PDA

View Full Version : Forgetting the petty bickering here, just

wolfdancer
02-10-2006, 04:04 PM
for a moment...
Here's an obit of a man that did make a difference
From Craigslist:
"Dr. Shumway was a pioneer in cardiac surgery and I owe my life to him.

In 1968 he performed the first heart transplant in the US. When I was born in 1970, I was diagnosed with a ventricular septal defect (a small hole in the wall of my heart, thus oxygenated blood was not fully circulating). My mom took me to Stanford to have it fixed and Shumway was the surgeon. At that time, open heart surgury was still a delicate procedure and he was the world's preeminent cardiologist.

It just brought back a lot of long-dormant thoughts about my own mortality and makes me glad to be alive. Fortunately, I'm healthy as a horse and have had no symptoms since 1973. It also makes me appreciate those in the medical profession who devote their lives to healing."

web page (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210/ap_on_he_me/obit_shumway)

Drop1
02-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I just received my Medicare card today. Now that I'm on the National list of the Useless,I began to contemplate what have I received from 65 years of conditioning. I must say the great moments were with Great People,who gave of their intelligence,and celebrated life, with great humor,and a kindness transending being nice. As to my own mortality, I would like to be able to draw the ball the length of the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
02-10-2006, 06:54 PM
I,too, am glad and respect those who dedicate their lives to healing people. It's just short of a year for me since I got sick. Only to find out later how close I came to joining Mosconi, Fats, and the others at the great tournament in the sky. I'm just not ready to call it quits. Everyday I pray for those interns at the hospital that they will be able to do great things.

DG - appreciates life more now then ever

Deeman3
02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Wolfdancer,

I'm also thankful for Dr. Shumway for helping you. You're the only liberal I can argue with and not cause a major war. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am just thankful to be alive and fairly healthy as well as looking forward to working and living each day. God (sorry, my belief sneaking in here) has given us such a wonderful opportunity, albiet a brief time, to experience this exciting life. While we all should appreciate each breath we take, it's thoughtful to take some time to think and appreciate those who have added so much to our lives.

We have and can learn so much from everyone and the least amoung us is a marvelous creation, weather by divine spirit or cosmic accident. Our petty differences here will be forgotten before the "next important political race" but the feeling or belonging and care we get from our association will be with most of us forever.

I have had so many people contribute to my life that I'll never be able to even thank them all. I think the very best we can do is try to help others when we are able.

We saw people land on the moon, cures for many diseases, an end to outright state sponsored racial discrimination, so many good things to balance out the bad. I was once fearful the U.S. had died, that we would never have soldiers like our WW II vets and now to see the brave young men and women, no matter the justification of war, step up and do their part even better than we have in the past, to see we still have the right to bitterly disagree and remain respectful friends.

I feel blessed to be here and hope to take up this amount of space for a few more years. I know, it I die tonight,I have had a life I can't really lodge a complaint against.

Deeman

wolfdancer
02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Dee, that wasn't me that received the open heart surgery. I have two friends though, alive because they did have heart surgerys.
I only brought the obit up, because while we argue, and never resolve issues here....and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.....here was a man that contributed to the world, and is to be admired.

wolfdancer
02-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the "club"....although, as one poster here put it:
we are stealing money from our fellow citizens.
Put me down for grand larceny, after my two leg surgeries.