PDA

View Full Version : Another weird situation

07-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Might as well try to cover everything while we're on the subject. Player "A" sinks a ball on the break, shoots and runs two or three balls in. Then both players notice the 1 ball is still on the table? What happens? My Guess is simply ball in hand right now for player "B". Gotta go go run the Mon nite 8 ball tournament now, talk to you folks later tonight. Thanks for your input. Joe Got one more that I actually witnessed. Player "A" makes the 9 on the break but nobody noticed! Player "B" runs to the 8 then they just look at each other? Player "B" says I must have bumped the 9 in while I was running out. What do you say if you're player "A"?

07-01-2002, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe T:</font><hr> Might as well try to cover everything while we're on the subject. Player "A" sinks a ball on the break, shoots and runs two or three balls in. Then both players notice the 1 ball is still on the table? What happens? My Guess is simply ball in hand right now for player "B". Gotta go go run the Mon nite 8 ball tournament now, talk to you folks later tonight. Thanks for your input. Joe Got one more that I actually witnessed. Player "A" makes the 9 on the break but nobody noticed! Player "B" runs to the 8 then they just look at each other? Player "B" says I must have bumped the 9 in while I was running out. What do you say if you're player "A"? <hr></blockquote>

case 1:

again: 2.21 protests. in this case nobody has yet called foul so player a keeps shooting, going after the 1 next. player b could call foul at this point because, on his last shot a did not shoot the lowest numbered ball on the table but by your example the foul is not called.

case 2, since noone really knows what has happened and the game can't be concluded as there is no 9-ball in play, restart with the same breaker and advise the players to cut back on their beer just a little.

dan...

stickman
07-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Joe, I agree that the first senerio would be a ball in hand foul. The second one, is very unusual. Without a specific rule, I would think that if the pocketing of the nine ball could not be verified conclusively by either player, the game would simply be thrown out and another game played. "I must have knocked it in" wouldn't be good enough. I think this falls under the TDs exercise of discretion.

stickman
07-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Good catch Dan. Player B or his coach has to call a foul for not hitting the lowest numbered ball first, then it's a ball in hand foul.

9 Ball Girl
07-01-2002, 03:07 PM
The second situation actually happened to me! I was having so much fun with my friend playing (thank goodness it wasn't a "real" match) that by the time I got down to the 8 and looked to see where the 9 ball was, I realized that I must've knocked it in without noticing it. My bud didn't notice either so we just chalked it up to a game never played and started again! It was hilarious! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

07-01-2002, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> Good catch Dan. Player B or his coach has to call a foul for not hitting the lowest numbered ball first, then it's a ball in hand foul. <hr></blockquote>

thank you...not only that, had a gone ahead and shot the one prior to any protest then he'd be home free and too late for anyone to do anything.

now, let me be clear, i'm not advocating any of this tricky stuff for actual play. i just think it's interesting to know what the whole rule book actually says.

dan

Chris Cass
07-02-2002, 12:07 AM
That's nothing Lorri,

One time I went to the bathroom and I always carry my cue. When returning I ran out the table as my opponent was at the food counter. After the run I was congratulated by the guy sitting in the chair. His opponent was in the bathroom too.

Regards,

C.C.~~LMAO It was the wrong table, ya think the guy would have said something......one of those days.LOL